Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,017 times

Advertisements

OMG you guys are hilarious. First of all, LA is NOT a fair representation of Cali. We northerners would love to cut the state off before the Grapevine and let the LAliens form their own state (and get, pay for, and store their own water).

As for driving 'crazy': Speed is a standard here. The best defense is a good offense. You're better off getting away (quickly) from some dumba** who can't decide which lane they want or who goes 40 mph on an expressway where the limt is 50. It's a survival strategy people. Besides, life here is in the fastlane. People who drive at or below the speed limit should get out of it.

And BTW, here I come.....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Another shamefully inaccurate accusation! What is with all the Cali Driver bashing?
C'mon Sheena, you might have seen one or two bad drivers from CA but don't let that bad experience make you generalize the rest of them that way!

Not to defend those jerks but one thing some people do not get, the far left lane is for fast moving traffic regardless of the posted speed limit, if someone is trying to go faster than you, let them!

Out here the slowest people seems to enjoy the left lane and do not get the hint when people pile up behind them or even flash their beams....nada! They keep on driving with or without acknowledging...now that is really annoying!!

You know how many times I have seen a 3-lane road entirely blocked because all there lanes were occupied with drivers at the same exact speed driving right next to each other 5 miles less than the speed limit!!! Bunch of cars behind them trying to pass them, honking, high-beaming, nada! I am sure some were tail-gating too but I never do that since there are also some sudden break happy fools around as well....simply put, I do not know how & why some of these idiots got their driver license!

Ok, I vented and feel a bit better now, please continue with the regularly scheduled program...

I'm not bashing the California drivers, I'm just saying I have driven with several sets of California people that tailgate. I think it's just the norm but they are good at it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, they seem really skilled and I know I would end up crashing into people.

I still say the New Yorkers are the worst drivers......LOL I'm gonna catch holy hell for that, but I'm from NY and so is half of Myrtle Beach and I'm seeing these guys drive on a daily basis.

Oh those left lane drivers that's another story, If I am in the left lane I always pull over if someone is behind me.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
You know the old saying, that California with it's major earthquake will fall into the ocean and the new border area will be along the Colorado River bordering the states today, and that that will eliminate a major problem for the rest of the 49 existing states.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I'm not bashing the California drivers, I'm just saying I have driven with several sets of California people that tailgate. I think it's just the norm but they are good at it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, they seem really skilled and I know I would end up crashing into people.

I still say the New Yorkers are the worst drivers......LOL I'm gonna catch holy hell for that, but I'm from NY and so is half of Myrtle Beach and I'm seeing these guys drive on a daily basis.

Oh those left lane drivers that's another story, If I am in the left lane I always pull over if someone is behind me.
I hate tailgating and will never understand the purpose of doing it. OK, I can see it on a freeway when some monster vehicle tries to scare somebody boxing the only passing lane away (I'd like to do that, too, but my car's not scary ), but in town... I've had jerks on my tail in the right lane of 3 lanes, providing the other two are entirely empty. Well, if you don't like me, you have 2 more lanes to choose from. Unless that's just the way they drive... living on the edge, accidents waiting to happen. I've seriously considered buying one of those cute plates "I'm not in heat. Get off my tail!"

Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM

15 posts, read 53,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Mmmkay, if you say so but I think you guys do not need one!

I am one of those who mellowed out because I find myself thinking I am speeding when going passed everyone and I am only doing 70mph!!! Before I know it I will become another AJ661!

Wow, you seen one near collision incident and all of a sudden 'how bad the drivers are in CA?" Bah, I prevent more than half a dozen in a month or so and I wasn't even going faster than the posted speed limit! Speeders are not the real problem, it is the idiots who are not paying attention to the road! There are more collisions caused by illegal lane change than speeding and running red lights combined for all I know! Some of the people are driving like they are in lala-land, perhaps they really are on drugs and I am being insensitive?

Great once in a lifetime scenario, but that fact is Speed Kills!
It all depends but if they are speeding than it just might be!

Funny, sometimes I feel the same way about those who think they can control the traffic by going the speed limit on the left lane and blocking the way of those who wants (or god forbid, needs) to go faster than the posted speed limit! Is it your job to enforce the traffic mister? I think not, you are slower than the traffic behind you and you either let them go by moving to the right or letting them go around you, simple as that.
And no, according to the CHP, the posted speed limit is not the 'real' speed limit, at least this was the case in CA. It was pretty much an ideal speed determined by powers that be but in reality, depending on the road and weather conditions, a person could go all the way up to 65mph on any given road even if the posted speed limit reads 40mph

....yes 65mph! not a flipping typo! Wonder why they did it this way?

Perhaps this scenario might help you look at the speeders in a different way: you are hauling a.. to the emergency room because you wife laying in the backseat is about to have a delivery and you are obviously going crazy and panicing and trying to get her to the hospital asap but dang it you are stuck between twiddle-dee and twiddle-dumb going almost the same speed next to each other on a 2-lane road at speed limit and they give you a mean look in their rearview mirror when you flash your beams and do not let you go while your wife is saying such bad words that would embarrass even the sailors! You are honking and hoping one of them would eventually move aside and let you go but noooo, twiddles think posted speed limit is 45mph so you would just follow them as they are already doing 45/50mph...

This is one example to make you guys understand that there might be a valid reason indeed for someone needing to go faster but definitely not smart alec statement to justify the ridiculous need for some people to just go faster than the rest as in they are in a race or something. Especially if they are weaving or tailgating etc and there is no apparent reason that you can see.
The same kinda of inconsiderate driver will likely to cut in front of you in a safe manner, ding the side of your car when opening their door, flip you off for no good reason (and there really is not point to it anyhow).

Again, I am not here to defent those few jack.sses that you might have encountered that more-than-likely would have annoyed me as well but instead of taking things too personal or trying to control the traffic by taking things in your own hand or calling others idiots or crazy because they wan to drive faster, next time, just let them go, get that so called "idiot" away from you!
Here is a good idea to scare of the tailgaters if you got a truck/suv: get a fake rifle (pellet gun, water pistol, whatever looks real enough) and hang it in the back!

Wonder how many hate-mails I will get after this post...

But remember, I personally am not a speed-freak, I also do not tailgate ever! The worst I ever done was to honk at a hottie walking on a side walk and that was years ago!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,931 times
If more people don't move to Phoenix, who is going to fill all the empty homes purchased by investors and all those foreclosures?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I hate tailgating and will never understand the purpose of doing it. OK, I can see it on a freeway when some monster vehicle tries to scare somebody boxing the only passing lane away (I'd like to do that, too, but my car's not scary ), but in town... I've had jerks on my tail in the right lane of 3 lanes, providing the other two are entirely empty. Well, if you don't like me, you have 2 more lanes to choose from. Unless that's just the way they drive... living on the edge, accidents waiting to happen. I've seriously considered buying one of those cute plates "I'm not in heat. Get off my tail!"
I know I don't get this tailgating thing either. I like to keep my distance in case somebody stops short.

I like that bumper sticker, that's a good one

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco
Wow, you seen one near collision incident and all of a sudden 'how bad the drivers are in CA?" Bah, ..
No Turco, it wasn't a near collision, it was a rear-end collision. (see my comment about taillight plastic flying all over the place)

I'm sure there are plenty of good California drivers out there, but the ones I consider scary, are the impatient ones that get on your tail end, even though you're going above the posted speed limit, and they want to go even faster than you, and you got nowhere to go to let them get past you, and this happened to us many times everytime we drove on LA's and San Diego's freeways On a couple of occasions, I ended up pulling over into the emergency lane just to let them go past me.

There's nothing more annoying than seeing somebody almost on your tail end and you have no way of letting them get around you.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
(It's me, beating a dead horse again)

AZ drivers suck. CA drivers suck. IL and MI and NJ and IA, OR and MA drivers suck. When you put them and their different driving habits together on Phoenix freeways, there's a synergistic effect that makes them all suck twice as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnick View Post
Actually, speed doesn't kill, but it certainly does contribute. It's that sudden stop that does it. It's all about change in velocity, which is why cars today that are totalled in a 30 mph collision are safer than cars from the 1950's that barely dented a fender. There are several collisions within a collision. When the vehicles reach maximum engagement and stop, everything inside is still moving at the pre-collision speed. When the passengers are stopped by seatbelts, airbags, or steering columns, the internal organs (heart, lungs, brain) are still moving until they're stopped by chest cavities and skulls. All the safety features of modern cars are designed to slow that change in velocity and thus increase the chance of survival. It really doesn't take much of an impact to rupture an aorta. I've seen a couple people get out of crashes apparently without a scratch, only to bleed out internally within minutes.

Tailgaters p*** me off more than any other violators. I wrote up the math on this months ago so I won't repeat all of it, but it's easy to figure out. Take the time/distance info from my last post, plug in an average perception/reaction time of 1.5 seconds and apply it to a tailgater 30 feet behind another car at a speed of 65 mph. Now have the lead car slam on his brakes because a couch fell out of the truck in front of him or traffic suddenly stopped or somebody here caused him to panic because they did a "brake check."

I wish I could post some photos ( I'm sure they would get cut) but I know even that wouldn't get some people to pull their heads out of their a****. I do know of one former DUI defense atty who changed his practice after his parents were killed by a drunk. It shouldn't take the death of a loved one to get people to think. Ahh, but there's nothing like the smell of raw brain matter cooking on asphalt in the afternoon sun to drive the point home. If only that smell could be canned and pumped into the defensive driving classrooms, it would be sooo much more effective than talking about the "two second rule" . Cerebral fluid stains are much harder to clean out of clothes than blood by the way.

If visualizing any of this makes some of the people who 'just don't get it' feel ill, . That would be a good thing. Hope it helps.

Last edited by aj661; 08-14-2007 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Hahah....I love that beating on a dead horse smiley!!!
You made very good and very valid points again AJ and I have no objections.

May be we should all go back to riding horses? Not too fast but a constant flow of traffic? Imagine people on their cell falling off left and right or hitting a tree branch?

But I don't wanna visualize what a rear-end collision would be like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area