U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM

1,414 posts, read 2,409,385 times
Default Types of severe weather around PHX?

In reading about the area, it seems you have some occasional thunderstorms. Does the area experience other types of severe weather?

For example, where I live we get: occasional snow/ice storms (one is supposed to hit tonight), hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. CA is known for its mudslides and wildfires.

How about the PHX area? And as to the thunderstorms, how severe is the lightning there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM

16,895 posts, read 19,959,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
In reading about the area, it seems you have some occasional thunderstorms. Does the area experience other types of severe weather?

For example, where I live we get: occasional snow/ice storms (one is supposed to hit tonight), hurricanes, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. CA is known for its mudslides and wildfires.

How about the PHX area? And as to the thunderstorms, how severe is the lightning there?
Thunderstorms can be severe with frequent lightning and damaging winds, small hail. Happens in July, August mostly. Tornadoes do happen but are pretty rare and usually quite weak. In comparison with most places, it's not a very risky area weather-wise, though there are storm damages somewhere every year.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,672,329 times
Most of the severe weather comes in the summer during the monsoon season. The most dramatic are the "Haboobs" (sand storms) that roll in usually from the east.

Although we just had a rare hailstorm in October that caused extensive damage.

Generally though the weather is pretty predictable.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

926 posts, read 1,046,407 times
The worst you have to worry about is flash floods, sudden microbursts, heavy rain,strong winds, and intense lighting. Sometimes those happen all in the same storm. During a very severe storm just keep track of it every now and then for tornado watches and warnings. Almost exactly a year ago, Phoenix had 3-4 tornados touch down during the night. I wasn't paying attention to the weather and drove under a funnel cloud at 8 pm.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 1,488,823 times
Summer and winter are the stormy seasons but severe weather is pretty uncommon.

The few severe storms that happen in the Phoenix metropolitan area are usually brief and isolated, mostly in the form of strong winds, lightning and localized downpours, most of these happen in the summertime monsoon season.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM

421 posts, read 680,721 times
After living in the Dallas area for 37 years and here for 18 months, the severe weather here is pretty tame by my standards. I don't miss putting my wife and girls in the bath tub at least once every spring because the tornado sirens were going off.

As long as you don't try driving through high water crossings, you should be mostly ok. Like AZJoeD said, we did have a sizable hail storm a couple months ago, but those are pretty rare here from what my FIL who is an insurance agent tells me.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

9,027 posts, read 9,595,572 times
I don't speak in absolutes. You can't ask these types of questions because every place on this planet will receive some type of inclement weather on some occasion. It happens everywhere including Maui.

So your question should be phrased from a relative standpoint. Relatively speaking, Phoenix is probably the best place in the country regarding receiving no inclement weather. Sure we have occasional thunderstorms and monsoons and even then, it will only negatively impact a few streets and those areas will make the news showing some car being flooded as they tried to drive over some random bridge near a lake and they got flooded in. But honestly, this is one of the strengths of Phoenix is that it receives no natural disasters relative to other areas.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM

1,414 posts, read 2,409,385 times
Thank you for the replies, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: