Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,253 times

Advertisements

We moved to AZ from CA

We lived in the central valley though, so no doubt our comparisons would be different than yours, coming from LA

AZ is not exactly known for our stellar educational system.
That said, there are some very good schools here, I would just suggest that you research schools in any areas you're considering carefully before buying.
The bit the pp wrote about overcrowding and out of control growth in CA schools is just as true in many areas here.

I'd say that overall my kids were more challenged in their regular classrooms in CA than they are here.
GATE and SAGE seem to be pretty comparable, although I like the way the program is structured here more than how it was done in CA.
(that can differ from district to district and even school to school though - so probably not a fair comparison)

As for the weather... if you're talking the Phoenix area; there are plenty of summer days that can be downright miserable, and I wouldn't trust anyone who said otherwise. But you do learn to cope.

No doubt you'll find more affordable housing here, just be sure to check commute times. A lot of the most affordable new developments are a long ways out and traffic can be a nightmare (yes, even compared to CA standards)

Don't let anonymous posters on a message board bother you. Some people hate it here and would like nothing more than to get out, others love it and wouldn't dream of leaving. You know the bit about different strokes...

Do a little research, make a trip or two out this way, then make the decision that works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We left CA 3 years ago and have not looked back. We even lived up in N.CA which is leaps and bounds over S.CA. Just got tired of the taxes and snow and the fact that CA wants to feed the world and the taxpayers will foot the bill soon. We love it here and think AZ is far cleaner a state than CA. We could even tell the difference in rest stop bathrooms. We knew we were back in AZ when you did not have to shovel the debri out of the way and the toilets were not all backed up. I am hoping that all the Californians coming over here do not ********** state up. Why do people vote in systems of government that even they can not live in, move then repeat the insanity?
The heat is still a challenge, but only when it is over 111. 107 actually is tollerable now. I miss the evenings cooling down at night, but that is the only thing I miss. The schools are decent, at least the H.S our kid goes to. I do not like the traffic and have a hard time driving to downtown Phoenix. However, the traffic here is not as dicey as driving in L.A. Welcome!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Probably 1/2 of the State is from California. That's where our increase in crime, inflation of home prices and traffic problems came from.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM

22 posts, read 109,581 times
Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.
I went to greatschools.net and thought that would be a good source to figure out what schools are good or not, but I guess this may not be the best way?
We are looking at Gilbert/Chandler/Awatukee areas. Most of the schools have a 9 or 10 on greatschools.net

Everyone says do more research, can anyone recommend websites, etc that would help in my research?

I don't know where I will be working yet. I am a commercial real estate appraiser in California, and plan to continue my career in Arizona. I will be driving to different locations for my appraisals, and I am hoping that I will be able to set up a home office to work from home a few days a week as I do here. As for my husband, I am not sure where his work will be either.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tann22 View Post
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.
I went to greatschools.net and thought that would be a good source to figure out what schools are good or not, but I guess this may not be the best way?
We are looking at Gilbert/Chandler/Awatukee areas. Most of the schools have a 9 or 10 on greatschools.net

Everyone says do more research, can anyone recommend websites, etc that would help in my research?

I don't know where I will be working yet. I am a commercial real estate appraiser in California, and plan to continue my career in Arizona. I will be driving to different locations for my appraisals, and I am hoping that I will be able to set up a home office to work from home a few days a week as I do here. As for my husband, I am not sure where his work will be either.
Chandler - I would stay in the kyrene school district. The school problems are slow growing. You can't see it. One day you realize your kids not prepared for the aims test. Do a lot of teaching on the side. Or there is always a virtual school.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehazaidi View Post
You WILL be misreable if you are an out-doorsy type. .......
I'm an "out-doorsy" type person and there's plenty of outdoor activities in the deserts and the mountains. You just have to know Arizona a little more.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Seems like there are a lot of lakes in AZ as well. How about golf? plenty of places to play.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I believe when people talk about nothing to do they mean with in a closer distance. With a family you have an afternoon at a time, you can't go driving all over AZ. It takes at least 2 hrs to hit a lake and there really small and dirty for all that driving. Most people just go to Walmart for fun really. Unless your joe climber, then we have the one mountain, gets a little crowded in the good weather, one time hiking south mountain it felt like we were on a tour of it there were so many people.lol What happened to Legend City? Anybody know?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM

62 posts, read 266,921 times
Umm...Lake Pleasant is like, what, 30 minutes from probably half the population of Phoenix? Its a huge lake with tons of water sports available. I used to go there all the time.

There is more than just one mountain in the Phoenix area, and whenever I go hiking, there are barely other people around.

You can also go horsebackriding, hot air ballooning, hanggliding, etc.

Best school in the Ahwatukee area is Desert Vista High. I would recommend you looking there. One of the best schools in the Phoenix metro.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 PM

72 posts, read 234,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
That is the reality of California schools, Overcrowding and out of control growth. Not bad curriculum or even bad teachers.
I totally agree! TOO many people too little resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area