Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM

9,595 posts, read 31,627,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoxe View Post
Ah well, I'll take the defensive driving course I guess. Case closed!
Very wise decision, Analoxe.

GOOD LUCK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM

8,031 posts, read 12,219,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
If you get busted for running a red light, typically you have to pay the fine AND attend traffic school. In this situation you'll DEFINITELY have to pay the court fine, that you can't get out of, plus all other associated traffic school costs.
The reason for this is red light running is often considered a CRIMINAL moving violation ... whereas most forms of speeding and other violations are civil. This makes sense because running red lights is a serious risk, and often leads to serious accidents which can be deadly. Non excessive speeding in most conditions poses less of a risk.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The reason for this is red light running is often considered a CRIMINAL moving violation ... whereas most forms of speeding and other violations are civil. This makes sense because running red lights is a serious risk, and often leads to serious accidents which can be deadly. Non excessive speeding in most conditions poses less of a risk.
All moving violations are quasi-criminal. I don't know exactly how photo red-light tickets are treated in Arizona, but in most other jurisdictions that's why getting caught by a red-light camera is treated as a non-moving (read: civil) violation -- they'd never be able to meet the burden of proof using rules of criminal procedure to secure a conviction. By treating it as a civil matter, they can assign "vicarious liability" to the registered owner of the car without regard for who was actually driving it. I wouldn't be surprised if AZ courts have found a way to consider photo red-light tickets to be moving violations complete with points. They seem to be bending over backwards to accommodate these photo enforcement systems, and when the upper court isn't, the lower courts seem to be ignoring the upper court anyway.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
AZM

95 posts, read 299,953 times
Here's my advice...QUIT RUNNING RED LIGHTS BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE! As for how you should handle the citation, call the court and they will give you advice you can follow.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM View Post
Here's my advice...QUIT RUNNING RED LIGHTS BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE! As for how you should handle the citation, call the court and they will give you advice you can follow.
Moderator cut: rude Some of us saw the photo of the infraction before it got taken down. He had already entered the intersection before the light turned red and he still got a ticket.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,176,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Maybe slow down at intersections and don't run red lights, start out earlier so you don't have to speed. Good thing no pedestrians or bicyclists at that intersection.
This.

I use the same strategy, when the light is red I stop.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,164,809 times
OP. This is just me, but I would go to court and ask the judge politely if he could explain the rules to you for future reference. Make sure you take the photos with you. Looking at the photos displayed, it looks to me like you were in the intersection before the light changed. If you stay respectful and polite the judge just might dismiss the charge. Otherwise, you will know for next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area