Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM

424 posts, read 953,057 times

Advertisements

That price point still has some more to come down IMHO. I wouldn't expect for it to drop another 50% though, but I would easily see another 10%-20% drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Purchasing real estate is always a personal decision that carries risk.
Right now here in the Valley cash buyers are acquiring distressed properties at fire sale prices.
Real estate folks are spreading the hype that "you better get in quick before the deals are gone".
Fact: The foreclosure wave here has not stabilized yet.
Fact: The local UE rate (which only counts folks with active claims) is 9.3%
Fact: Most real estate here continues to lose value.
Truth: If you're a cash buyer and don't negotiate well - you will be paying too much for a given distressed property.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Purchasing real estate is always a personal decision that carries risk.
Right now here in the Valley cash buyers are acquiring distressed properties at fire sale prices.
Real estate folks are spreading the hype that "you better get in quick before the deals are gone".
Fact: The foreclosure wave here has not stabilized yet.
Fact:
Fact: Most real estate here continues to lose value.
Truth: If you're a cash buyer and don't negotiate well - you will be paying too much for a given distressed property.
[mod cut-- off topic]
As for the foreclosure wave, I don't know how you define "stabilized" but it is greatly reduced from what it was and is falling.

Fact: Anyone who thinks the supply of nice properties is not declining has not been out there looking lately.

Last edited by observer53; 07-22-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM

391 posts, read 787,980 times
Just curious what the house sold for at its peak? From my uneducated viewpoint, (the more I learn, the less I know about phoenix real estate) certain areas, such as north Scottsdale seem to have bottomed but are still very expensive realative to what investors are purchasing.

After having owned several rental properties, I can tell you, the projections for maintenance etc, are usually out of whack. Unless you are that rare individual that can sit and look at something wrong and defer it (assuming you can afford to fix it but choose not to). Most upgrades are basically maintenance as you seldom recoup your upgrade costs unless you are flipping.

Did your calculations inlcude lost income on the $100k downpayment? Its not significant if its in gic but if it was leveraged as a revenue generator it would have more impact. For example, that could purchase 4 x 100k revenue properties. (of course you are taxed on income it produces so that may be a wash depending on your taxation level).

Something I consider more now than I did before is the age of the property and what maintenance comes with the advanced years. Also, as your mortgage and house age, who will want that house in 10 years? What demographic will be after an older place vs a new?

If its a lifestyle thing more than an investment and you have $100k sitting there and you have enough cash flow to live the way you want, go for it. Just be commited for up to 10 years. Then you can be almost assured you will recoup your $100k and enjoyed a lifestyle you wanted. If your $100k is sitting in the bank or at risk, you could get more enjoyment out of it in that house than you would having it produce minimal income.

Just some of the thinking I go through when contemplating a purchase

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-22-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM

391 posts, read 787,980 times
Just noticed you are only late twenties. If one of my kids had $100k and that was their majority savings, I would be suggesting that they not tie themselves to large long term purchase at that age. I might suggest they deposit half that money in a home, probably a condo, and invest or keep liquid the other $50k. Too many opportunities may be presented to you in the future. Maybe you might become a partner in your practice, want a property in Hawaii, etc.... Liquidity is a good thing. But owing a home is a good thing too. You can have both with $100k.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Just noting that this thread started in January, and revived again today. I think the OP passed on this house, given that he was looking elsewhere in May.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
They certainly move in the areas that I follow--at bargain prices, but not giveaways.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:15 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
[mod cut-- off topic].

As for the foreclosure wave, I don't know how you define "stabilized" but it is greatly reduced from what it was and is falling.

Fact: Anyone who thinks the supply of nice properties is not declining has not been out there looking lately.
No I got it straight from Azcentral.com would like me to post the article? Here is the link.

[mod cut-- response to deleted material]
The foreclosure wave is still going on.

I can provide news articles on that as well

Fact - my facts are solid.

[mod cut-- the poster is NOT a moderator- your comments in that regard are inappropriate]

Last edited by observer53; 07-22-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area