Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:59 PM

62 posts, read 266,565 times

Advertisements

I was just going to mention Sprout's. Definitely one of my favorites.

AJ's Fine Food is also pretty good for healthy organic food. Its a gourmet grocery store, so its a little pricier, but there are tons of things there that you won't find elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM

117 posts, read 415,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
I was just going to mention Sprout's. Definitely one of my favorites.

AJ's Fine Food is also pretty good for healthy organic food. Its a gourmet grocery store, so its a little pricier, but there are tons of things there that you won't find elsewhere.

Yeah AJ's is one of my favorites

Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM

117 posts, read 415,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Thanks!! LOVE that kind of stuff. Will definitely explore Glendale. And thanks for the heads-up on safety.

Are you headed for Davidson, NC? When we were looking to buy a home about 10 years ago, we considered Davidson because of the very quaint, hometown feel to historic downtown and the old bungalows and farmhouses for sale in the area. But the commute to Charlotte was just too much for our tolerance, so we found a good second choice right outside Charlotte uptown.

Yes headed for Davidson, I can't wait.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 AM

54 posts, read 67,880 times
Default Guess it depends where you live

I moved to Phoenix in June 2003, 84th Lane and Camelback. First the bad. Found out very quickly why the homes where cheaper in this part of the city. My truck was broken into 2 weeks after moving in. Within 2 years the makeup of my neighborhood went to 80% Mexican. Loud music, and graffiti soon followed. Spanish is heard, and played in all the local stores including WalMart. Not everyone who moves here has unlimited funds to be able to move again at the drop of a hat if the neighborhood goes bad. My job had me driving all over the Valley, east and west. Lots of people here have said traffic is not as bad as other cities, might be true but......... it`s not just THE amount of traffic. People in Phoenix don`t know how to drive! Rollovers, many per day, unheard of in other cities. Road rage due to idiots who drive slow in the high speed lane and REFUSE to move over. I have never driven in a city where the MAJORITY of the people do that. Insurance rates are high.... gee wonder why. Many locals follow the "one bad apple" rule. There are many fine Hispanics in the Valley, but because we see surnames ending with Z all the time on the news, they ALL must be bad! I`m a full blooded New England Italian, 5th generation. A few times I`ve been mistaken for a Mexican, or Iraqi, so I know what it feels like to be discriminated against! This NEVER happened in Rhode Island in my 39 years there. Our wintertime "brown cloud" , take a deep breath! There is some good though. Lots of shopping, restaurants, nice parks, pleasant wintertime temperatures, golfers paradise, etc. When home prices took off during 2005 I had 2 choices, sell my home and move to nicer, overpriced valley location. Or take my profit and pay cash for a cheaper home in another part of the state. I sold my home and moved to Kingman in January.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:51 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,457,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrilander View Post
I moved to Phoenix in June 2003, 84th Lane and Camelback. First the bad. Found out very quickly why the homes where cheaper in this part of the city. My truck was broken into 2 weeks after moving in. Within 2 years the makeup of my neighborhood went to 80% Mexican. Loud music, and graffiti soon followed. Spanish is heard, and played in all the local stores including WalMart. Not everyone who moves here has unlimited funds to be able to move again at the drop of a hat if the neighborhood goes bad. My job had me driving all over the Valley, east and west. Lots of people here have said traffic is not as bad as other cities, might be true but......... it`s not just THE amount of traffic. People in Phoenix don`t know how to drive! Rollovers, many per day, unheard of in other cities. Road rage due to idiots who drive slow in the high speed lane and REFUSE to move over. I have never driven in a city where the MAJORITY of the people do that. Insurance rates are high.... gee wonder why. Many locals follow the "one bad apple" rule. There are many fine Hispanics in the Valley, but because we see surnames ending with Z all the time on the news, they ALL must be bad! I`m a full blooded New England Italian, 5th generation. A few times I`ve been mistaken for a Mexican, or Iraqi, so I know what it feels like to be discriminated against! This NEVER happened in Rhode Island in my 39 years there. Our wintertime "brown cloud" , take a deep breath! There is some good though. Lots of shopping, restaurants, nice parks, pleasant wintertime temperatures, golfers paradise, etc. When home prices took off during 2005 I had 2 choices, sell my home and move to nicer, overpriced valley location. Or take my profit and pay cash for a cheaper home in another part of the state. I sold my home and moved to Kingman in January.

Wow congratulations, you did the right thing, excellent investment, way to make your equity work for you. Others should take a lesson from you. I wish I would have sold at the height of the market.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 42,572 times
I live in the West Valley and I am from NY . Personally I find Phoenix to be very boring. I like cities with developed waterfronts. Im really into window shopping and walking "Main Streets" . Downtown Phoenix becomes a ghost town at night when the offices close.

Scottsdale is cool but pricey. The east valley seems to be where the bulk of the cultural activites are.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goergiabound View Post
I live in the West Valley and I am from NY . Personally I find Phoenix to be very boring. I like cities with developed waterfronts. Im really into window shopping and walking "Main Streets" . Downtown Phoenix becomes a ghost town at night when the offices close.

Scottsdale is cool but pricey. The east valley seems to be where the bulk of the cultural activites are.

Nothing cultural in the East Valley I am aware of, unless you consider the Chandler Mall cultural. If you are from NY and liked NY you will not like it here, period end of that story.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM

435 posts, read 1,573,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goergiabound View Post

"Downtown" Phoenix isn't really a downtown at all, in any true sense. Just a central square with a baseball stadium, a basketball arena and a few high-rise buildings nearby. Statistically, only about 3% of Maricopa County's workforce is located downtown, which along with the zoning restrictions has become a huge barrier in the downtown redevelopment project currently going on.

This is the thing about Phoenix that's different from pretty much every other major city in the U.S., and one of the biggest reasons I just don't care for it. Most other major cities have problems with sprawl, but since they were built and grea into large cities at a time when people had to live in or near a centralized downtown in order to be close to their jobs, those older large cities still have a unique, central core with "main street" style downtowns that maintain some semblance of community and identity despite the sprawl.

The difference with Phoenix is that it's so new and grew so quickly at a time when the trend across the country was for people to move into the suburbs, not the inner-city, is that the suburbs grew into huge suburban population centers unto themselves, while the downtown never caught up. The result is that downtown Phoenix now looks much the same as it did (from the pictures I've seen) 50 years ago, when only 100,000 people or so lived here. Basically, the whole place is one gigantic suburb with no core, no cultural districts, no personality. Scottsdale is the closest thing to a commercial district or a "Main Street" type of atmosphere, but again it's annoyingly pretentious and has a very manufactured feeling to it.

Crime and heat aside, it's really this lack of identity or "soul" that turns me off from Phoenix. There are hudreds of small towns in the U.S. that feel more like cities than Phoenix does, simply because of their more centralized design. This is just one great big nowhere. Happiness will be Phoenix in my rearview mirror for the last time.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM

211 posts, read 639,430 times
Personally, I think the novelty of the super hot summers has worn off. I'm also not a big fan of how this place seems to get to be more and more like Los Angeles every day. Traffic is getting worse. The cost of housing is going up at a ridiculous rate and I've finally had my fill of cheap, greasy, Mexican food.

I love Phoenix. There's no other place in the country like it, but eventually, you just need a change...

Old 09-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Personally, I think the novelty of the super hot summers has worn off. I'm also not a big fan of how this place seems to get to be more and more like Los Angeles every day. Traffic is getting worse. The cost of housing is going up at a ridiculous rate and I've finally had my fill of cheap, greasy, Mexican food.

I love Phoenix. There's no other place in the country like it, but eventually, you just need a change...

Ditto, except I don't like Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area