U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM

408 posts, read 336,746 times

Advertisements

Is gas forced air heating common in the Phoenix area or does everyone use a heat pump? It seems like the furnace would provide a much nicer (and quicker) warm air heat compared to the lukewarm air blown by heat pumps... Was just curious about it as I'm sitting here planning my move and it's 19 degrees outside...... the warm air sure does feel good.

On a similar note... whole house humidifiers are almost a staple here in the midwest... we have tons of humidity in the summer, and supplement it into our homes in the winter... how do you fight the dryness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM

3,387 posts, read 4,212,158 times
the air that comes out of heat pumps is not "lukewarm" - it's 20-30 degrees warmer than the air inside the house. Electricity is inexpensive during the winter months (we have "tiered" electricity pricing), so there isn't as much benefit to having natural gas. 19 degrees rarely happens in the valley.

I suspect the part of the reason humidifiers are rare is related to how hard the water is - they wouldn't last very long. It's cheaper to buy a new one at wal-mart every year for your bedroom, and toss it when it dies.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 AM

14,227 posts, read 17,832,131 times
Some areas don't have natural gas service at all, so electric heat pumps are the "choice".

Some use humidifiers here, most, I think, get by without. Zippy is correct, with the hard water here, they don't last forever!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM

537 posts, read 695,228 times
My experience with having both kinds of heating, is that the heat pump does not dry out the air like the gas furnace does.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM

17,599 posts, read 20,962,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Some areas don't have natural gas service at all, so electric heat pumps are the "choice".

Some use humidifiers here, most, I think, get by without. Zippy is correct, with the hard water here, they don't last forever!
I think humidity feels "yucky" to people who live in the desert for a long time. I know that I feel the slightest increase in humidity. It makes my skin feel clammy or weird or whatever. I can't really put my finger on it but I don't like it.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM

138 posts, read 175,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
My experience with having both kinds of heating, is that the heat pump does not dry out the air like the gas furnace does.
I noticed the same. My last two houses had gas heat and I was always having sinus issues and dry skin in the winter. My current house also had a furnace which I replaced with a high efficiency heat pump and these issues are now very minor. Also, the new heat pump is half the operation expense as the old furnace. No problems at all keeping things warm during our few (barely) sub freezing nights. You need to make sure not to let the house get really cold and then expect the heat pump to quickly bring the temp up 10 degrees. It works better at keeping the temp somewhat constant (I run 66 at night and 72 daytime).

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

3,367 posts, read 6,324,034 times
66 at night? Good god that's comfortable? We put the heat at 76 at night.

As for gas vs heat pump...I don't even know what kind we have, how can I tell?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM

138 posts, read 175,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
66 at night? Good god that's comfortable? We put the heat at 76 at night.

As for gas vs heat pump...I don't even know what kind we have, how can I tell?
66 is nice at night with a heated matress pad (the 3 dogs on the bed helps as well)!

If your natural gas bill goes way up (2x or more) during the winter, then you probably have a furnace. The other typical gas appliances (water heater, dryer, range, BBQ) do not use much more during the winter

Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM

926 posts, read 1,085,828 times
How do I heat? I turn the oven on to bake 350 degrees then place a loaf of garlic bread in.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM

246 posts, read 386,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
Is gas forced air heating common in the Phoenix area or does everyone use a heat pump? It seems like the furnace would provide a much nicer (and quicker) warm air heat compared to the lukewarm air blown by heat pumps... Was just curious about it as I'm sitting here planning my move and it's 19 degrees outside...... the warm air sure does feel good.

On a similar note... whole house humidifiers are almost a staple here in the midwest... we have tons of humidity in the summer, and supplement it into our homes in the winter... how do you fight the dryness?
Most homes use a heat pump. Heat pumps work great in the Valley of the Sun, because it does NOT get that cold. The colder it gets, the less efficient a heat pump is. But most heat pumps have assisted heat.
So heat pumps are the best choice for heat in Phoenix, gas is overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area