Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM

22 posts, read 98,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siduri View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when I won't have to brush my car off before I get in it every single day. I'm counting down...59 days at max!
I'm jealous. My countdown is currently at 1,181 days. I have to wait until my son graduates high school (he's only a freshman right now).

I may physically live in a Chicago suburb right now, but in my mind, I already live in the valley. I can't wait to actually move there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM

119 posts, read 312,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
why tonopah?
Low crime rate and low property taxes

Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPa View Post
Low crime rate and low property taxes
You don't need to go all the way out to Tonopah for either of those. Seclusion, clean air, wide open spaces, yes.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 PM

391 posts, read 787,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My wife is a plains lover. Not me. I spent a summer working near Lethbridge, Alberta on the Canadian Prairie. The Sonoran Desert of Arizona looks like a jungle compared to that desolate nothingness.
LOL That hilarious!!! I'm still chuckling! I live on the prairies. We are flat out here in Saskatchewan!!! Some places people ski on mountains, we ski into valleys!

Absolutley love it here. We have intense springs, summers, falls and winters. Very extreme. We get up to over 100deg in the summer too but nothing like AZ. I remember a lady from Africa staying here and her line was "I have never had heat like this, even my teeth are sweating!

But I just don't want to withstand the winters anymore. The kids are done hockey so its just kinda boring all winter.

I'm self employed but when I worked corporate, it was dark and cold when I went to work at 8am, and dark and cold when I went home at 5 pm. Cold here is minus 40 degrees with wind. Exposed skin freezes in seconds.

My AZ house will be ready soon. I'm can't quit thinking about warm winters!!!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
You should love it here. Most of the population hates snow and freezing temps. lol You'll have that in common.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Grew up in Phoenix, got out as soon as I could. People would always joke that "you can't shovel 110!" as if that made it good. I was like, I'd gladly shovel 110 if that would make it go away.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
3 weeks and counting for me. I close on the 15th and then off to Arizona. I seem to follow extremes so I should be fine in the heat.
I've lived with 120 inches of rain per year for over 20 years now so extreme heat and sun should do me for a long while. Who knows. Maybe I'll make it 20 years there as well.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Grew up in Phoenix, got out as soon as I could. People would always joke that "you can't shovel 110!" as if that made it good. I was like, I'd gladly shovel 110 if that would make it go away.
I might too, but -20 or -40....it's stuck and you have so many clothes on to stay warm, you can hardly pick up the shovel...then go try and start your car...then shovel that hump the plow left froze down...then get to work and see how long it takes with traffic....when you are done, come back...until you have done it...doesn't matter...you need to have been there done that and take a video please You have to shovel that first..then talk about shoveling 110 and see what you say...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I might too, but -20 or -40....it's stuck and you have so many clothes on to stay warm, you can hardly pick up the shovel...then go try and start your car...then shovel that hump the plow left froze down...then get to work and see how long it takes with traffic....when you are done, come back...until you have done it...doesn't matter...you need to have been there done that and take a video please You have to shovel that first..then talk about shoveling 110 and see what you say...
Well I've neutralized all that living in an apartment on the vibrant north side of Chicago, where I can walk to everything I need. That does sound rough though.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Many shoveling snow stories are as exaggerated as our 120 degree (not) temps. Shoveling snow was never a big deal for me and I'd have a plow guy do the driveway most times, but extreme Canadian/Minnesotian winters might be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area