Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,419 times

Advertisements

I Am 20 years old, looking to move to phoenix with my girlfriend and our child. i was attracted to phoenix (or the surrounding areas) by the current real estate situation. it seems it is very affordable. i have been to phoenix a few times but only briefly. originally i was going to move to Bakersfield California as i have family there but phoenix seems more within my price range. i am looking to buy a house within the price range of about 100,000-150,000...i could possibly go higher but it would have to be a dream house or something. my main concern is that i do not want to be in a neighborhood where the houses are jammed side by side which i have heard is common in phoenix. are there any areas where the houses are somewhat new (post 1990) where my house would have its own space? with a decent sized yard?

PS. i have done a lot of research regarding the job market/weather/etc so spare me the speeches lol

in all seriousness though i would be very thankful for any information regarding any neighborhoods/towns in the phoenix area where you think i might find something to match what i am looking for? thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
"Somewhat new" and "not close together" would be fairly difficult to find in the metro area, in terms of something both in your price range and close in to Phoenix. What kind of commute are you looking for, what other amenities do you need nearby, etc.?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMac2323 View Post
I Am 20 years old, looking to move to phoenix with my girlfriend and our child. i was attracted to phoenix (or the surrounding areas) by the current real estate situation. it seems it is very affordable. i have been to phoenix a few times but only briefly. originally i was going to move to Bakersfield California as i have family there but phoenix seems more within my price range. i am looking to buy a house within the price range of about 100,000-150,000...i could possibly go higher but it would have to be a dream house or something. my main concern is that i do not want to be in a neighborhood where the houses are jammed side by side which i have heard is common in phoenix. are there any areas where the houses are somewhat new (post 1990) where my house would have its own space? with a decent sized yard?

PS. i have done a lot of research regarding the job market/weather/etc so spare me the speeches lol

in all seriousness though i would be very thankful for any information regarding any neighborhoods/towns in the phoenix area where you think i might find something to match what i am looking for? thanks again.
Up until about early 90s homes with 80x110 lots were common. That gives a decent back yard and side setbacks for the home of the time. After that the 60x100 took over along with oversized houses leaving little space on the lot. In early 2000s, the two story home gained popularity as it is the only way to get decent square footage on the tiny lots. So, if you look for 1990s houses you can find a decent lot. Focus on cul-de-sacs and curved sections of streets. I have a cul-de-sac lot that is nearly 1/2 acre - too much space actually.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 33,242 times
The yard size really varies by community and you will find that most of the communities with large yards are either very expensive or older.

What you're looking for can definitely be found down here though. You can get a very nice home for less than $150000 right now. What I'd do is look at some of the communities surrounding Phoenix, like Mesa, Gilbert or Chandler or Laveen. Find a real estate agent and make sure that you mention that yard size is very important. They can search the MLS and include yard size in their search.

I'd also be open to an older home. During the boom, a lot of people bought older homes and fixed them up with the hope of selling them at a profit. You can get an 80's home with a big yard that's been completely updated (granite countertops, yada, yada) for the price range you're looking for. You might even be able to get a pool.

I also agree with the above. Focus on corner lots and cul de sacs. We live in a community that has decent yards but the houses are close together. However, our neighbors down the street have a yard on almost 1/2 acre because they're on the corner. They have an orchard, a pool, a putting green, a tiki bar, a sand volleyball court, an outdoor shower and still have empty space to fill in.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Most of the homes will have 5-7 feet on the side. That's 10-14 feet from house to house.

There are some communities with larger lots. If you work with a Realtor and discuss your requirements s/he can do a search and find homes that meet your criteria for you to view.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Phoenix is a much better choice than Bakersfield....

Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 AM

10 posts, read 22,114 times
Lots in Phoenix are all crammed side by side, under 5000 sq ft is normal for a lot size. You will pay more for a large lot unless you go into the outlying areas. Laveen has really good deals, and you could find a nice home on a bigger lot in your price range. In the more convenient areas, you will pay a premium for land. It all depends on where you work and commute to. Laveen is not that far from downtown but is quite a drive to the E Valley. We went house hunting today in Laveen and I was astounded at how awesome of a house you could get for 120k. Pools, nice interiors, bigger lots. Good luck.

If you go to a site like ziprealty.com you can search by lots of criteria in Phoenix and surrounding areas and specify lot size. My advice if you have a child, do NOT ever, under any circumstances, dream house or not, go into the Roosevelt school district of Phoenix. The schools are atrocious. Chandler, Gilbert, Kyrene, those are all good districts, and Tempe has some gems. Check greatschools.net for the stats on the school that is in the neighborhood you are looking at. It's invalueable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area