U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM

910 posts, read 1,231,630 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I will be in Phoenix in March. We'll be attending a concert at the US Airways Center, so I'd like to stay within walking distance to avoid paying parking at the hotel and at the venue. What are the nearest hotels to the US Airways Center?

Is it safe for a woman and a 14 year old girl to walk downtown after the concert if the hotel is nearby? Our tickets also say we can use the metro for free the day of the concert, so that may be another option (staying somewhere right next to a metro station).

Our other option is to stay near the airport where there would not be a parking charge and just drive to the concert.

How close are these downtown hotels to the US Airways center? Are any of them walking distance?
Hyatt Regency Civic Plaza
Sheraton
Wyndham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 AM

14,117 posts, read 17,518,385 times
Those are all walking distance (a few blocks). Yes, walking back to the hotel is safe, you will likely find yourself walking with other people who, for instance, parked their cars in that direction. Or, as you indicated, you can stay close to the airport (Holiday Inn, for instance), with free parking for the car, and just take the light rail back and forth.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM

652 posts, read 1,597,593 times
There are a lot of nice hotels downtown within walking distance of the US Airways Center.

The closest ones would be The Sheraton, The Hyatt, The Wyndam, and The Hotel San Carlos (historic old hotel, very nice). All of them are nice and may be pricey.

There is a Westin at Van Buren and Central that is about to open. It will be a little bit longer of a walk than the ones I named above. It's also a very nice boutique hotel and expect it to be expensive.

The Lexington Hotel on Central would be a little less expensive, but still a nice hotel, but a longer walk or a very short Metro ride (3 stops and the station is right in front of the hotel.)

The Springhill Suites on Van Buren and 9th St. would be a good one also but again, a little bit of a walk.

This is a non-exclusive list, I live downtown and just rattled a few off the top of my head that I know of. If you go to Hotels.com you can sort hotels by "distance to city center" - this would be another good way to find one close to the US Air Center.

If you want to stay in a hotel a little farther out and take the train into downtown here is a google map of the route just in case you're not familiar with it:
http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF...be820eb1f36154

Enjoy your stay!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM

115 posts, read 142,904 times
I think you have already received some good information re: hotels near US Airways. I just wanted to assure you that walking back to the hotels would be safe. There will be a lot of people doing the same thing and probably several police officers on hand. Sometimes I think it's safer there walking than it is in my own neighborhood.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,736,033 times
Yep - plenty safe .... but parking charges usually aren't that high for events ... you'll probably pay more in a parking fee as you would in event parking and definitely more if you stay at a place next to the light rail stop where your transport would be free

not sure how long you are in town or what else you want to do, but pending interests you could factor that into your decision as well

getting out of downtown is easy after an event as well if you are comfortable at all with city driving ..... it's pretty easy

Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM

We arrive on a Saturday afternoon and our flight leaves early Monday morning. I was looking at priceline downtown hotels, so the three I mentioned in my original post were ones I could get on priceline just for the first night. The 2nd night would be some place near the airport so that we can get there faster Monday morning and not deal with rush hour traffic. We'd like to bum around Scottsdale on the Sunday before we leave, but I don't want to pay so much to stay in that area.

Parking at the concert arena is $20 which is probably close to the hotel parking price. I'll do one or the other, but not both. I guess I'll give priceline a try and see if I can get anything for downtown for that Saturday night.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,618,352 times
I like to recommend the Hyatt for the Compass Room (the revolving restaurant on the top floor) ... not the best as far as meals are concerned, but it is good for a night on the town, drinks, or dessert. I can't say how great the Hyatt is as far as room accommodations, but no matter where you stay in or near downtown, the Compass Room is a must see.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM

652 posts, read 1,597,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I like to recommend the Hyatt for the Compass Room (the revolving restaurant on the top floor) ... not the best as far as meals are concerned, but it is good for a night on the town, drinks, or dessert. I can't say how great the Hyatt is as far as room accommodations, but no matter where you stay in or near downtown, the Compass Room is a must see.
Agreed - I ate at the Compass Room last November as the sun was setting and got a great view of the Valley.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,736,033 times
my brother stayed at the Hyatt a couple years ago on a good special and enjoyed the rooms

I agree that the compass room is good for at least a limited purpose .... i'll grab a drink & desert after a show every now & again

Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Update: I was able to get the Hyatt through Priceline for $67 per night. We'll go check out the Compass Room after the show. Are there any good places around the hotel for dinner on a Saturday night that is not too pricey (within a short walking distance)?

On Sunday, we want to go shopping. Where is the best outlet mall? I'm not paying extra for internet access at the hotel, but I can type a name or address into my GPS.

Also, where is the best area to window shop in Scottsdale? Could I get some cross streets? That's what we'll be doing on Sunday (shopping).

Thanks again for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area