U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,230,587 times
Default E-Z 8 motels

My brother and I are going to make a budget trip in Feb. to check out jobs and a place to live for him. To say we are on a tight budget is putting it mildly.
I'm checking out cheap motels and I came across the E-Z 8 motel. One is called the Phoenix Airporter and the other is called Metro Center. Judging by the price, I'm guessing these two motels are not exactly luxury suites. At 37 bucks a night, I'd be surpised if they had locks on the doors. lol.
Anyway, perhaps I shouldn't pre-judge so that's why I came here to ask you folks in the know.
What are these motels like and would I be safe to stay a couple of nights in that part of town????
If these 2 are dives, would there be a cheap motel somewhere preferably on the east side? Perhaps Apache Junction or ????
Just curious.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM

19 posts, read 42,810 times
Google Luxury Suites America. They have 3 locations in the Valley. Yesterday they were asking $54.99 a night per their sign. Today, they are advertising $49 bucks.

If that does not pan out than maybe try Value Place Inn. They are new locations and I hear the Value side of the place is a bit annoying but who knows it might work for you.

Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,288,857 times
yeah - the value place inns are usually pretty clean ... I looked into one for when relatives came in because the prices are fantasic

all rooms have a kitchen and two beds ... nothing luxerious by any means

however, the catch with them is that they are pretty no frills - if you want pots, pans & place settings to go with your kitchenette that will cost extra ... if you want linens exchanged during your week, that will cost extra ..... if you want a coffee pot, that will cost extra ..... want more toilet paper, well you can buy some ..... etc

they also book for the week

however, when you can get peak rates at $35/night even if you want to splurge & build up your stay it can be pretty cost effecient

Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM

257 posts, read 553,374 times
EZ 8 Motels are beyond dives. Typically when I had to pass by one of them, it looked like druggy/drunk/hooker-type people were hanging out around it. And I tend to give even lesser motels a chance, but there is no way I would ever even consider staying at one of those...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,586 times
I'm not very familiar with the EZ-8 Metrocenter, but that area is around a big mall on the west end of Phoenix that has been declining pretty badly for years, there are a lot of auto break-ins, gang activity, etc.

The EZ-8 Airporter is an older place on 7th street, definitely a run-down area (as a friend said, once it was a blue-collar, working-class neighborhood, now it's a no-collar, no-class neighborhood). It gets a lot of long-distance truckers as customers (some trucking companies have contracts there), which isn't a bad thing, as the lot security is pretty good, and those guys like quiet for a good night's sleep. There's a pretty active bar on-site and convenient fast food places around, including a McDonald's next door which can be pretty cheap for meals with the dollar menu. There's some occasional prostitution traffic in and out of the rooms but the security is aggressive and usually keeps the worst of the troublemakers out (the hotel security is armed, which is usually a sign you're in a rough area.) The rooms are clean for what you pay, but the rooms get a lot of use and the furnishings are older and can smell a little musty. If you're not out knocking around the streets in the area at night you'll probably be pretty safe in the area, but don't leave any valuables in your car. You have quick access right onto the freeway so that's handy for a job search.

There are a lot of cheap motels in the Apache Junction and neighboring east Mesa area, but you'll get pretty much what you pay for.

I travel a lot to areas I haven't been before, and usually count on www.tripadvisor.com for the reviews. You can select the area and they will list all the hotels/motels in descending order of user's ratings and list the price and amenities. The customer's ratings are usually very honest as to cleanliness, neighbrohood, etc. If you're looking for something in the Apache Junction area, I'd recommend you check out that area and Mesa and see what fits your budget if you're interested in finding a job on that side of town.

Good luck on your job search.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,570,605 times
I think you'll find that $50 a night will get you a better hotel... at least a little better....

Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 AM

31 posts, read 36,016 times
I would check into the Intown Suites or Value Place (as previously mentioned). Another good option is Priceline or Hotwire. I stayed in the Valley for 18 months straight using Priceline. I never paid more then $250 a week and mostly stayed in Extended Stay Americas. I think all these options would be better then the Easy 8.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM

I really appreciate everyones opinions. I figured that E-Z 8 might be a bit spooky considering the price.
I'll pony up for something a bit nicer. We don't need anything fancy obviously, just a room, a bathroom and a TV in an area that my car won't get stolen and we are good to go. We will be out of the room most of the time anyway. Heck, a tent at the KOA would probably work as well. lol.
I've been watching tripadvisor.com but there wasn't any ratings on the E-Z 8. They didn't even list them. That should have given me a hint.
If anyone has a specific place that was cheap and relatively clean and safe, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM

644 posts, read 1,684,649 times
well .... I was going to post some pictures of the EZ-8 at 1820 S 7th St, for you, but you know it's a dive already. If price is your main concern, and you're OK with staying in pretty much the same area... you could try a motel called Las Palmas, which is at 765 W Grand Ave (7A/Van Buren) The neighborhood is sketchy - but so is the one around EZ8 ... anywhere in the 30-40 a night range is gonna be, but anyhow .. Las Palmas charges 39 bucks for 2 nights... and it's within walking distance of downtown. If you came on the first friday of the month, you could check out the street festival on Roosevelt and it'd be a good time

Chances of your car getting stolen are about the same as if you parked it at EZ8 - actually less, because the parking lot is much smaller, and there's only 1 entrance.

Either way, if $$$ is the primary consideration, you get clean sheets and a TV at either place. Can't say I'd take the family there, but for two single guys on a roadtrip - why not.... a crack motel is a crack motel.

If you wanted to step up a bit in cost, try the budget lodge downtown, which is at 4th Ave and Van Buren. Probably run you about 40 something a night.

Good luck amigo!

Last edited by ji603; 01-23-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Frankly, from what I've seen, heard from here and researched on the net, I'm thinking I'll buck up a few extra bucks and get something just a bit nicer.
Heck, 2 years ago I stayed 3 nights at the Motel 6 on Country Club Dr. in Mesa and it wasn't too terribly bad. I think it was about 42 dollars a night plus a couple of bucks for internet service. I didn't feel unsafe there although I wouldn't stay there if I was taking my daughter. I even walked to the Denny's down the road. Lots of cops and flashing lights but all was well. It was just across from some amusement park if I remember right.
What do you folks think of that place???
And as far as getting my car stolen, I'll be driving my daughters 94 Honda Civic so it probably isn't something that someone that is going to go out of their way to grab. Even if they did, it wouldn't be a huge loss. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area