U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

38 posts, read 64,303 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I am from northern Michigan and I am considering relocating to Phoenix. If you have moved to Phoenix from Michigan, can you please provide me with your personal experience (e.g. pros/cons).

Thank you!

PJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM

3,293 posts, read 2,859,545 times
You must have missed this:

Moving from Michigan to Phoenix

Pros: everything

Cons: nothing

Seriously.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,425,839 times
I also moved from Phoenix to Michigan.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the help Bondurant!

Steve, did you enjoy living in Phoenix or are you more satisfied living in Michigan?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 PM

I have always liked everywhere I lived. I love Arizona, but not much interested in Phoenix anymore. I was born in Michigan. I moved from there four times. I moved from Phoenix three. I have a wide tolorance for Cold and Heat. I would say I liked Arizona more than Michigan, but I am a desert rat and have been since the early 60's around Palmdale California. If you were from South Eastern Michigan you would maybe be OK with Phoenix. Being from UpState I think you will hate the dirt, bugs, crime, drugs, gangs, racisim, overcrowding, and heat.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM

PS. My Grand Nephew is Zac Johnson of UofM Football.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM

3,163 posts, read 4,034,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2483 View Post
Hey everyone!

I am from northern Michigan and I am considering relocating to Phoenix. If you have moved to Phoenix from Michigan, can you please provide me with your personal experience (e.g. pros/cons).

Thank you!

PJ
It really depends on where in Michigan - from the Detroit burbs, the cost of living was a little lower - mostly property taxes & property insurance (fewer "perils".) I miss Aldi's, Flint coneys & Tim Hortons coffee (+ the water here tastes like butt unless you filter it) People are generally just as friendly here - unless they're driving.

Cons, probably the weather is the biggest - in a Michigan winter you have a couple of months where you can't get away from oppressive cold... Here, we have a couple of months of oppressive heat. The good news is, you can drive into higher country for a weekend here or there & at least get cool nighttime temps. Sedona,Prescott & Flagstaff aren't very far away and they are a great escape from the heat.

The biggest plus right now for Phoenix, is that there still are a few jobs - and I believe any future growth & jobs will happen here first - it's just cheaper to do business here.

Surprises - lots of little ones -
it's legal to carry a gun into a bank.
immigration "checkpoints" if you drive south of town.
Joe Arpaio...
Eating best fish & chips I've ever had.... in the middle of the desert...
Houses that aren't all 100-years old & made from old pallets...
Here, they're made from styrofoam & chicken wire! <--- far superior!

Welcome to Phoenix!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area