Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM

245 posts, read 542,572 times

Advertisements

lol, awesome sexxxcblac..I have experienced more racism in the midwest than here in AZ. I work in Scottsdale and have not experienced racism and I am hispanic. True, I doubt some of my coworkers will have me one day over for dinner and drinks, but that is more the mentality of Phoenix and not so much my skin color, well I hope, haha!!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,963,823 times
Well, I am white and dated a native Hispanic Arizonan for quite some time. We were having lunch in Phoenix and some guy looked in the window. He actually walked in and looked at us and said "you know, he was with a black woman last night." It took me a while to figure that out and I don't really see color.

When I was in the hospital I'd given him my keys and forgotten I'd turned on the alarm (I live in Scottsdale). So he walked in and did not have the code. Fortunately, I had a FOB and he was able to get it off after about 20 minutes. No kidding he told me he was ready to walk out my door with his hands on his head as a Latino guy in Scottsdale. Just food for thought.

I never had this issue happen in the Midwest or SoCal despite the fact I dated a South American in both places for four years.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,210,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friggsdottir View Post
I can't help but notice that these horror stories are coming from people with only 1 post. I hope that isn't a coincidence...
Exactly, you beat me to it. I think it's highly suspicious. The writing is the same. The number of events is the same.

I'm Hispanic who grew up in L.A. I've experienced less racism (none actually) than L.A. Dallas, Memphis and Oklahoma City. I can tell you that I never had a problem with dating in Scottsdale when I moved here. My race was always an issue particularly with White women in Dallas, Memphis and Oklahoma City. I have a lot of Black friends here and most of them have white wives or significant others and they never get stared at. Their children never have issues at school.

There is discrimination here but it's against Illegals. I've never experienced racism and my Black friends certainly haven't experienced that. They do wish there was more of a Black presence and culture here but they don't recall direct racism.

Scottsdale is definitely snobby but not racist. In fact, Scottsdale residents would see it beneath them to even use the N word. Scottsdale is about money. If you have money, they could care less what your skin color is. Scottsdale definitely discriminates and judges based on wealth. That is true. If I shop in Scottsdale, I definitely get decked out because I won't be given great service if I don't. No one is rude and unhelpful but they won't go out of their way to help unless they think you have money and are willing to spend it. The same goes for dining out in Scottsdale. Your 30K millionaire beautiful waitress at Stingray Sushi is not going to pay attention to you unless you look like your made of money. But racism...please, Scottsdale residents are so ridiculously snobby that they will throw a hissy fit if you even so much as accuse them of being racist because racism reaks of low class or white trash and Scottsdale wants nothing to do with that hick image.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-25-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I am white and dated a native Hispanic Arizonan for quite some time. We were having lunch in Phoenix and some guy looked in the window. He actually walked in and looked at us and said "you know, he was with a black woman last night." It took me a while to figure that out and I don't really see color.
First of all, that doesn't mean that guy was being racist. He was probably trying to tell you that he was two timing you with another woman behind your back. He was trying to warn you. He mentioned she was Black as a way to identify her. It's not like he said "you know he was with a n$#$# last night"

Quote:
When I was in the hospital I'd given him my keys and forgotten I'd turned on the alarm (I live in Scottsdale). So he walked in and did not have the code. Fortunately, I had a FOB and he was able to get it off after about 20 minutes. No kidding he told me he was ready to walk out my door with his hands on his head as a Latino guy in Scottsdale. Just food for thought.
I grew up in L.A. and we would make that same comment about L.A. cops so it's not limited to Phoenix. Relax, it's called hyperbole. That doesn't mean that would have happened.

Quote:
I never had this issue happen in the Midwest or SoCal despite the fact I dated a South American in both places for four years.
That's because he was South American not Mexican. Totally different! Argentinians, Columbians, Venezuelans, and many Brazilians look white. If he was Mexican, I guarantee he would be sharing stories. I'm Mexican who grew up in L.A. so believe me, there is a difference.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
First of all, that doesn't mean that guy was being racist. He was probably trying to tell you that he was two timing you with another woman behind your back. He was trying to warn you. He mentioned she was Black as a way to identify her. It's not like he said "you know he was with a n$#$# last night"
How many people reside in this town? This guy didn't know us from Adam. He was just some stranger on the street who walked in and tried to stir up trouble. It took me six hours to figure out he was being racist. Plus, the guy I was involved with only dates caucasian women.

Believe it or not, there are STILL some people out there who are opposed to interracial couples.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,484,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, you beat me to it. I think it's highly suspicious. The writing is the same. The number of events is the same.

I'm Hispanic who grew up in L.A. I've experienced less racism (none actually) than L.A. Dallas, Memphis and Oklahoma City. I can tell you that I never had a problem with dating in Scottsdale when I moved here. My race was always an issue particularly with White women in Dallas, Memphis and Oklahoma City. I have a lot of Black friends here and most of them have white wives or significant others and they never get stared at. Their children never have issues at school.

There is discrimination here but it's against Illegals. I've never experienced racism and my Black friends certainly haven't experienced that. They do wish there was more of a Black presence and culture here but they don't recall direct racism.

Scottsdale is definitely snobby but not racist. In fact, Scottsdale residents would see it beneath them to even use the N word. Scottsdale is about money. If you have money, they could care less what your skin color is. Scottsdale definitely discriminates and judges based on wealth. That is true. If I shop in Scottsdale, I definitely get decked out because I won't be given great service if I don't. No one is rude and unhelpful but they won't go out of their way to help unless they think you have money and are willing to spend it. The same goes for dining out in Scottsdale. Your 30K millionaire beautiful waitress at Stingray Sushi is not going to pay attention to you unless you look like your made of money. But racism...please, Scottsdale residents are so ridiculously snobby that they will throw a hissy fit if you even so much as accuse them of being racist because racism reaks of low class or white trash and Scottsdale wants nothing to do with that hick image.
Yeppers.

I aint brown enough to be taken for Hispanic so maybe I dont catch the bs from white racsists and the Chicanos see me as one of them. I mean I can go in both worlds without being hassled. Now; if the Spanish langauge is used, Im screwed cause my parents would NOT teach me it.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 20,024 times
Default Racism in Scottsdale

We all have our problems with Scottsdale. I know what I have been going through here. I know that this place is not for me. I am not trying to get people upset, but on four different occasionsmI have been called the N word. Life is too short to stay here to prove a point. I will take my money elsewhere to a place where the demographics are better.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
Unhappy Leaving AZ or just Snottsdale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence27usn View Post
We all have our problems with Scottsdale. I know what I have been going through here. I know that this place is not for me. I am not trying to get people upset, but on four different occasionsmI have been called the N word. Life is too short to stay here to prove a point. I will take my money elsewhere to a place where the demographics are better.
This is my first post. Normally I just read. But I had to mentioned that all of AZ is not full of snobbery and racism. That does not mean it doesn't exist here, I just think it's not so widespread. I'm sorry the first place you seem to have come was Snottsdale !! Arizona is a beautiful state, and has many areas that are not like that. I and my family moved to AZ 5½ yrs ago. When we initially came to visit the state we went to Mesa. At first we felt a little out of place because the city was predominately Hispanic it seemed. We rarely saw black people, but no one treated us bad or made any derogatory remarks towards us. We decided to relocate here after over 30 yrs in Illinois (where racism towards black people seems broad & rampant), We later moved to Glendale. Where we lived was mostly Hispanic, there was only one other black person and he had a white wife. Sometimes when we would go out, we would run into out of towners who would ask "where are all the white and black people?" A friend of mine mentioned while she was at the mall, a white gentlemen asked her the same question. When passing the occasional black person we would be greeted as if we were old friends. They were as surprised as we were to see others of our color. That's not to say the Hispanics were not friendly, most of them were. Some would look at us as if we were not suppose to be there, but wouldn't take it any further. We weren't budging until WE were ready. I asked a co-worker about black people in AZ, and she mentioned they were here, but sparse in some areas. She said If I wanted to find an area where more black folks resided to try South Mountain in Phoenix. I didn't mind living where we were but was curious. So we checked it out and she was correct. And over time we began to see more and more black folks in AZ. We've resided in Mesa, Phoenix, Glendale, El Mirage, and Surprise AZ. We've visited 16 or more other cities in AZ since we moved here including Scottsdale AKA SNottsdale. We personally did not have any problems , but the stories that we've heard concerning racism and snootiness are endless, both from folks who live/lived there and visited there. Some say they're not leaving, others say they hate the place and can't wait to go- both white and black, because they are not comfortable with the snobbery and hints of racism. Since our arrival, I've seen a huge increase in the number of black people in AZ and it seems to keep growing. For those of you who are experiencing those types of issues, try another city. Don't let some ignorant devil- driven soul make you leave the state altogether. Outside of the severely hot Summers, I love life in the Valley. You may find you like it and never want to leave, if you give it a better try.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtlTyke6 View Post
This is my first post. Normally I just read. But I had to mentioned that all of AZ is not full of snobbery and racism. That does not mean it doesn't exist here, I just think it's not so widespread. I'm sorry the first place you seem to have come was Snottsdale !! Arizona is a beautiful state, and has many areas that are not like that. I and my family moved to AZ 5½ yrs ago. When we initially came to visit the state we went to Mesa. At first we felt a little out of place because the city was predominately Hispanic it seemed. We rarely saw black people, but no one treated us bad or made any derogatory remarks towards us. We decided to relocate here after over 30 yrs in Illinois (where racism towards black people seems broad & rampant), We later moved to Glendale. Where we lived was mostly Hispanic, there was only one other black person and he had a white wife. Sometimes when we would go out, we would run into out of towners who would ask "where are all the white and black people?" A friend of mine mentioned while she was at the mall, a white gentlemen asked her the same question. When passing the occasional black person we would be greeted as if we were old friends. They were as surprised as we were to see others of our color. That's not to say the Hispanics were not friendly, most of them were. Some would look at us as if we were not suppose to be there, but wouldn't take it any further. We weren't budging until WE were ready. I asked a co-worker about black people in AZ, and she mentioned they were here, but sparse in some areas. She said If I wanted to find an area where more black folks resided to try South Mountain in Phoenix. I didn't mind living where we were but was curious. So we checked it out and she was correct. And over time we began to see more and more black folks in AZ. We've resided in Mesa, Phoenix, Glendale, El Mirage, and Surprise AZ. We've visited 16 or more other cities in AZ since we moved here including Scottsdale AKA SNottsdale. We personally did not have any problems , but the stories that we've heard concerning racism and snootiness are endless, both from folks who live/lived there and visited there. Some say they're not leaving, others say they hate the place and can't wait to go- both white and black, because they are not comfortable with the snobbery and hints of racism. Since our arrival, I've seen a huge increase in the number of black people in AZ and it seems to keep growing. For those of you who are experiencing those types of issues, try another city. Don't let some ignorant devil- driven soul make you leave the state altogether. Outside of the severely hot Summers, I love life in the Valley. You may find you like it and never want to leave, if you give it a better try.
I was going to bypass this thread but just cannot let this last comment go. As someone who lives in Scottsdale, I am not seeing the racism or snobbery. Of course, I don't put myself in places where I might see it as those places are not my thing. Plus, living in this state has pretty much turned me into a recluse so I keep to myself and really don't care what anyone thinks of me when I venture out.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 PM

Racism is everywhere. I have friends who refuse to live in NYC because they are stereotyped and accused of living in Harlem, Queens or the Bronx when they live on the Upper East Side. They say New York is one of the most racist places you can live. I've heard Blacks say the same about San Francisco and both cities are supposed to be race friendly and liberal. You can't please everyone.

Overall, there aren't a lot of Blacks here but I've NEVER seen more mixed couples (Black and White) in any city. And I've never seen people make an issue of it like in the South. You don't see people stare at mixed couples here either like they do in other cities. You don't see people make unflattering comments about mixed children and try to box them into a certain race. I saw a lot of that in Texas.

Mixed couples are the true sign of racial tolerance. A lot of places may have a large Black population but you won't see a lot of mixed couples because it's not tolerated there (Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans). It was disturbing to see this attitude up close. People in the South and those areas were fine with Blacks as friends and acquaintances but made exceptions when it came to dating and marriage. Sorry but that's just another form of segregation and I'm glad Phoenix doesn't embrace that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area