Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,489,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Like I said, the only kind of posts welcome here are the ones extolling the virtues of Phoenix. I just want to paint a more realistic picture.
Quote:
I could list a litany of problems with this town that have nothing to do with me but, as I mentioned before, I won't. All a person has to do is google on it. Sperling's is a great place to start and fairly well balanced.

This isn't about "deep emotional problems." This is about a city with serious shortcomings which, if pressured to do so, I will expound, but I'd just as soon not go there. My intent of this thread was to explain why people stay, not to bash Phoenix.
You've said them before and I found them to be highly unrealistic. I'm sure when you read other's posts on here you find them to be unrealisitc, too. I have two points in saying this: 1) each person sees things through their own eyes and perceives things through their own filters (each person's perspective will be unique), so what will be a "realistic" post to you will be "unrealistic" to someone else, and what is "realistic" to them will be "unrealisitc" to you; and 2), your "realistic picture" is painted with a glass-half-empty (negative attitude) outlook (and whether or not that is the "right" or "best" outlook mostly depends on if the reader is also a negative person).

I'm sorry life for you here stinks. For most people, it does not.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,964,409 times
Ok, I've saved the big guns for last. This is the truth about this town, whether you want to believe it or not. And I did not write this, rather a friend:

Phoenix and it surrounding metro area is finding its own level.
Basically, a repository of mediocre poorly educated bottom-feeders seeking cheap banal living and easy money.This soulless mix of carpet-bagging transients, budget seniors, tattooed misfits, real estate grifters, toothless (inappropriate term) tweakers, minimum wage job seekers and pseudo Scottsdale millionaires has created a big population center that masquerades as a major metropolis but is really one big cow town.
A bleak barren landscape with terrible weather, traffic congestion, sub-standard education, bad government, bad air, stuffed with ugly stucco houses and big box retailers peddling Chinese junk and corporate food, to a dumbed down semi-literate citizenry, Phoenix metro epitomizes the lowest common denominator of American cities.
If somehow, by either plan or accident, you’re living in metro Phoenix, you have bad fate or made a terrible mistake; plan an exit strategy as soon as possible.
The ONLY reason to be there, (temporarily), is if you’re making a decent income (120k per yr). Anything less is not worth it, as your health, mental well being, family and personal esteem will deeply suffer by living in the Mogadishu of America.
Metro Phoenix, AZ:

There is no there, THERE”.

Now, there, you have the other side in words I could never articulate. And I didn't. And on this note, I am done with this thread.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,489,845 times
Quote:
Ok, I've saved the big guns for last. This is the truth about this town, whether you want to believe it or not. And I did not write this, rather a friend:

Phoenix and it surrounding metro area is finding its own level.
Basically, a repository of mediocre poorly educated bottom-feeders seeking cheap banal living and easy money.This soulless mix of carpet-bagging transients, budget seniors, tattooed misfits, real estate grifters, toothless (inappropriate term) tweakers, minimum wage job seekers and pseudo Scottsdale millionaires has created a big population center that masquerades as a major metropolis but is really one big cow town.
A bleak barren landscape with terrible weather, traffic congestion, sub-standard education, bad government, bad air, stuffed with ugly stucco houses and big box retailers peddling Chinese junk and corporate food, to a dumbed down semi-literate citizenry, Phoenix metro epitomizes the lowest common denominator of American cities.
If somehow, by either plan or accident, you’re living in metro Phoenix, you have bad fate or made a terrible mistake; plan an exit strategy as soon as possible.
The ONLY reason to be there, (temporarily), is if you’re making a decent income (120k per yr). Anything less is not worth it, as your health, mental well being, family and personal esteem will deeply suffer by living in the Mogadishu of America.
Metro Phoenix, AZ:

There is no there, THERE”.

Now, there, you have the other side in words I could never articulate. And I didn't. And on this note, I am done with this thread.

Again, refer to my post previous to this. If one is a negative glass-half-empty person, he or she may find some "truth" to this assessment. If one is not, than it is nothing more than verbal throw-up and nothing close to the "truth".
I actually take offense to what you posted. What you describe (which you seem to forget are actual people) does not resemble me or those I know. So, basically, you choose to focus on the "worst" amung us and ignore the "best" amung us to "prove" to yourself that your negative viewpoint is correct. Is that in any way fair? No! But because you are a negative person you will look only for the negative and discredit the positive.
It's quite sad, really.
I hope you figure things out for yourself.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 PM

26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Misty's quoted post that her friend wrote seems to be all over a couple of different blogs that describe Phoenix/Scottsdale in quite vulgar terms.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 28 days ago)

13,151 posts, read 21,686,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Misty's quoted post that her friend wrote seems to be all over a couple of different blogs that describe Phoenix/Scottsdale in quite vulgar terms.
You're right. mistygrl092's friend most likely didn't write that. It's been all over the internet since 2007 as near as I can tell. Her "big gun" is nothing more than a lie.

Here's a link to one of the copies, for example. HousingPANIC - The Housing Bubble Blog with an Attitude Problem, 2005 - 2008: Some terribly ugly housing news from Phoenix Arizona as investors flee like cockroaches

It's just mindless spew from somebody who hates their life.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,117,790 times
Mystygrl,

I am a native of Phoenix and have lived there for 30 years before leaving for good. I never liked it there either but unlike you I made the conscience decision to do it regardless of the financial implications. I had a much higher standard of living in Phoenix but oh well. It is time to take a loss on your house and move on. You have no kids in school, therefore nothing really holding you back.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
If the OP is "done with this thread" then it's closed.

Last edited by observer53; 02-05-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area