U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 AM

77 posts, read 369,942 times

Advertisements

I've spent Hours on this forum, I've read all kinds of stuff.

Please tell me, right here- Be flat out honest with me.
Write to my In Box if you have to.

Do you like it In AZ? And/Where ever it is in AZ you live/use to live.
Do you Hate it? Or Dislike it in AZ/ Where ever you live or use to live.

Please tell me! I can take it! I don't even live there! I live in L.A. Area of California.

I was thinking, can you please think of everything- and tell me about it?
The people, the neighborhoods, the weather, etc.. Is it really ghetto? or what? just tell me! Some people were holding back, didn't want to say what they don't like- Don't hold back! this is my LIFE! I am considering AZ! Tell me please!

Also, I was looking at: Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tucson etc.. Are those places so small that everyone sorta knows everyone? Suppose your single- is it tough? I mean.. I'm in L.A. It's HUGE!! I mean.. there's like a lot of people here. I just have no idea what it's like anywhere else. Thank you!

Thank you very much!

And I know, of course I'm going to check it out. But also, for now- just write me back with some info- thank you very much!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM

47 posts, read 78,350 times
Send me a message...I'll give you the skinny.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 AM

17,542 posts, read 34,606,778 times
Please. Read, read, read these forums. like I advised you to do on another forum less than two hours ago. Your questions are all over the map. If you do just a little bit of reading here in the Phoenix forum (and the Tucson one), the answers to most, if not all, of your questions are already here. Then, if you have a specific question you didn't find the answer to, ask.

If you ask people if they like, or don't like, it here, you are going to get responses from both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between. Take the answers on the extremely positive or extremely negative ends with a large grain of salt (whether they are given by DM or in the forums). "Liking" a place is a very personal thing, as is "not liking" it. Getting advice on anonymous internet forums will only go so far in being useful to you.

I will give you some brief answers. Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the COUNTRY, so no, everyone doesn't know everyone. Scottsdale and Mesa are very large suburbs. Same answer. Tucson is a separate city and a separate forum, but, same answer. And no, it is not all "really ghetto" (I've come to hate that term since I came to this forum).

Spend some more time reading. And come visit, and draw your OWN conclusions. I'm guessing you are young enough that if you end up moving somewhere, you don't have to stay forever.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM

47 posts, read 78,350 times
I would agree with the moderator of this forum. Hopefully you will catch on to the patterns of the extreme negatives and extreme positives. My caveat to you about something as generalized as "Phoenix is the fifth-largest city" is the fact that it is a 30 miles across. A lot less metropolis and a lot more sprawl. I would also caution you to ask such generalized questions in a forum that is as popular as it is with real estate agents. ; )

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,015,905 times
In September of 1988 I vowed to myself that I would move to Arizona (Phoenix area). It took 22 years but it finally happened back in July. It's a move that I do no regret one bit.

You ask what I like. Well...

-the weather
-the scenery
-living in a metro area
-great food

There's not much I dislike. Only the same things that I would dislike anywhere I lived and the fact that I only know a handful of people (my days are often boring). But I can deal with that.

I love it here. I don't know if this answers any of your questions (as they were vague and scattered) but that's what I have for you.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 AM

895 posts, read 1,201,104 times
113,000 people per year move into Phoenix Metro. Our freeways are pretty full and we aren't really recruiting.

Hope that helps

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM

18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
113,000 people per year move into Phoenix Metro. Our freeways are pretty full and we aren't really recruiting.

Hope that helps
"Pretty full" freeways is a relative term. Compared to Seattle, Phoenix area freeways are wide-open most of the time.

Ken

Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,672,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
I would agree with the moderator of this forum. Hopefully you will catch on to the patterns of the extreme negatives and extreme positives. My caveat to you about something as generalized as "Phoenix is the fifth-largest city" is the fact that it is a 30 miles across. A lot less metropolis and a lot more sprawl. I would also caution you to ask such generalized questions in a forum that is as popular as it is with real estate agents. ; )
The OP asked a question and you elected to hijack the post and turn it into a real estate agent bashing post.

Is getting information from a real estate agent who knows the area and is limited in what they can say due to the Fair Housing Anti-Discrimination laws any worse than information from the exaggerations of some of the Phoenix haters and Phoenix worshippers, and those that would discriminate?

Why don't you just answer the persons questions instead of attempting to hijack the post by turning it into a Realtor bashing post.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 12,672,404 times
We moved to Gilbert, which is a suburban Town in the east valley of Phoenix, in 2004 and haven't looked back.

We lived in Danville, near San Francisco for 35 years and decided to come here for several reasons.

We were getting a bit tired of the earth quakes.
The cost of living in Phoenix is much lower than California
We were able to buy almost twice the house at half the price of California.

People here are friendly. It's just like any other place in the country, if you're friendly, you'll get that in return. If you're unfriendly, you'll also get that.

There are many things to do in the valley, from hiking in the desert, visiting the lakes, parks, museums, zoos, sports games, concerts, plays, dining, and nightlife.

Home prices and rents vary with the cities and communities.

The traffic here is mild compared to the traffic in LA. The highways are well maintained, probably as good or better than most highways in the country.

It is hot, over 100 degrees for at least 4 months of the year June through September. The humidity is low so the heat doesn't feel as hot as 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity. But it is hot and takes getting used to.

The rest of the year is great.

The only thing we miss about being near San Francisco is being able to go into SF for sight seeing, or going to jazz clubs. San Francisco, in my mind is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,023,088 times
I moved to AZ from UT about 6 1/2 years ago. I have loved every second of it.

No one can convince you to move here and like it (or hate it). YOU have to do that yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area