Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM

73 posts, read 151,641 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I've lived in Glendale for the last few years and just landed a job on the Western edge of Mesa. We're thinking of moving to Tempe to experience a different part of the valley. My Boyfriend and I are mid 20s. We're looking for a 1 bedroom from 550-850 a month. I'm hoping someone can recommend an apartment complex you or someone you know has had a good experience with. What did you like/dislike?

We may also be looking at renting a small house. I'm looking at the Tempe area and don't have a problem venturing across the I-10 near 48th st and Southern/Broadway for a potentially cheaper zip code.

We're not terribly interested in being in the center of the college party scene (which is what Tempe is I know) but enjoy going out to the bar when we get the chance =) We're just hoping to live closer to work and have some more interesting available things to do on our days off.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Tempe is not ALL the college party scene. The further you get from the University, the more non-students you will find in apartment complexes. I would not go over to the 48th St side, (that's not necessarily a "cheaper ZIP code", and I expect your car insurance would be higher. if I were going to go out of Tempe I'd look at the northern parts of Chandler that border Tempe, along the 101, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 AM

8,020 posts, read 12,167,423 times
The only thing I know about Tempe apartments is that there are quite a few to choose from. There are quite a few apartments & lofts around the Mill Avenue district, but they're mostly geared for college students, and the "party scene". One complex that I drive by nearly every day on West University has always looked rather interesting but strange. I think it's called the Vale. Not sure what the costs are, but it might be worth checking out:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/images/tempe/vale2.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/...ad87bb.jpg?v=0

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The only thing I know about Tempe apartments is that there are quite a few to choose from. There are quite a few apartments & lofts around the Mill Avenue district, but they're mostly geared for college students, and the "party scene". One complex that I drive by nearly every day on West University has always looked rather interesting but strange. I think it's called the Vale. Not sure what the costs are, but it might be worth checking out:

I don't know what the price on those is, but for students who can afford them, they are pretty close to campus, and may not be what the OP is looking for.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far I really appreciate it!=)

Just wanted to clarify on the "party scene" we're looking for a complex that handles it well would be the best way to put it. We're younger and pretty tolerant. We like to have our own parties on weekends. We're just not looking for a 24/7 someone crapped in the pool last night party scene =P Even if you have just noticed someplace that looks interesting any feedback is appreciated. I have a tight schedule and i'm going to have to set aside a day or two to do walk throughs, not too much time to go down and drive around.

I've been recommended Trillium Centrado, Copper Creek, and Fernwood Apartments so far from friends. Most of the people I know aren't to familiar with the eastern part of the valley. I'm going to look into some other recommendations that have been posted tonight!

I would love to live somewhere close-ish to a park of some kind, but that would just be a perk =) Basically we're looking for the most bang for our buck that isn't run by slumlords.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Those look amazing, I love the windows!

Unfortunately for a 1bdrm they're about 1200$ a month

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,918,516 times
There's apartments of all kinds here in Tempe around ASU and elsewhere. I'd suggest coming out here for a few hours and driving around to all of the places. There's apartments everywhere. You'll find something for you with no problem.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 83,514 times
bingitslola hi! I think I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in my mid 20s and looking for an apartment... reasonably priced and away from the wild college party scene yet not in some retiree quiet neighborhood either. Tempe looks nice but I'm still hesitant. Definitely worth a look, but I keep looking at Chandler.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM

489 posts, read 1,320,393 times
Try Galleria Palms. It's right next to the 60, so that might make for an easy commute to Mesa. It's a nice complex with a lot of amenities, close to Mill Ave, but just far enough away to be a bit more quiet. If you want to check it out, it's off of Priest, right around the corner from Arizona Mills.

If you decide not to go with Tempe, another option might be Chandler, as ChelseaFCFan mentioned, or Ahwatukee. I just moved to Ahwatukee, right on the border of Chandler, and find it to be a good area so far. Lots of stores and restaurants nearby, easy freeway access, pretty, clean. Although I've read on this forum that if you go too far "into the cul de sac" then it can be a pain to get to the freeway.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,222,809 times
There's a decent complex at Guadalupe and McClintock called Little Cottonwoods. If I recall correctly, they have W/D inunits and some garages. Right across the street from trader joes and changing hands bookstore. Also a lot of stuff around Baseline and rural, and keep the chandler fashion center area in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area