U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM

452 posts, read 983,255 times

Advertisements

yes it's true, the cops can say and do whatever they want. If you try to fight them legally, they find some way to harm you in a way that you cannot fight nor win. It is very sad when cops who are suppose to protect you are the harrassers. It leaves you with no where to turn for help when you need it. This is off base but one time I made a 911 call because someone had opened my door at 10 pm and when I asked who was there--thinking it was my brother--I heard the door slam. Can you imagine how scared I was? Because of something I had done earlier in the year--not illegal--just something proving that a job was not being done, it took 45 minutes for police to arrive--I am serious, I made 2 calls after the initial call for help asking where the police were, I was told, "maam they have other emergencies right now." Well someone opening your door may not be life threatening, but it could have been......just saying!!! Pick your battles well, because you can NEVER win against them.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

6,356 posts, read 10,676,608 times
Here's an idea based on one that worked for a friend of mine recently. Request the court date. Chances are the cop will show up, and will bring the usual documents for radar calibration and his training certificate. That's standard practice now. What you want to do is to ask for a whole ton of discovery information that he won't have there. This is probably not the first bogus ticket this cop has written. I would ask for documentation which shows how many tickets the cop writes per month, and more docs showing what the average in the department is. Ask for his breakdown for tickets given to motorcycles versus cars versus that ratio for other cops. Also ask for the percentage of tickets that he writes which are contested in court, versus the average for the department. Think of other things you can ask for as well just to be a pain in the butt. Since they won't have that discovery material there, the ticket will be continued until they get it. The police department being fundamentally lazy or perhaps dishonest will most likely drop the charges instead of collecting that information. As I say, it worked for a friend of mine. He eventually got a notice in the mail that they dropped the charge and there would be no follow up trial. His was a different case because the ticket was written by Federal Park Police. But, I don't see why this wouldn't work in city court as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

77 posts, read 300,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I admitted to 5 over, which is not normally ticketable in AZ on state highways and they know it. The judge was just being a smart ass.
Fact is the cop has a badge and is sort of part of the court system.
In most cases you are wasting your time fighting.
I had a friend who was doing 5 over and got ticketed. They could ticket you even at 1mph over the speed limit.

There was a recent Motor Trend article where the editors were test driving a car and got a ticket for 2mph...

Anything over the posted limit is technically speeding...but most cops give plenty of leeway.

It's kind of interesting, the whole thing. I took a traffic class that was taught by a lifelong traffic cop, who gave all kinds of interesting insight into the process, like quotas, etc.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM

77 posts, read 300,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
yes it's true, the cops can say and do whatever they want. If you try to fight them legally, they find some way to harm you in a way that you cannot fight nor win. It is very sad when cops who are suppose to protect you are the harrassers. It leaves you with no where to turn for help when you need it. This is off base but one time I made a 911 call because someone had opened my door at 10 pm and when I asked who was there--thinking it was my brother--I heard the door slam. Can you imagine how scared I was? Because of something I had done earlier in the year--not illegal--just something proving that a job was not being done, it took 45 minutes for police to arrive--I am serious, I made 2 calls after the initial call for help asking where the police were, I was told, "maam they have other emergencies right now." Well someone opening your door may not be life threatening, but it could have been......just saying!!! Pick your battles well, because you can NEVER win against them.
Cops don't have a legal obligation to protect you, as an individual. That's been confirmed by several court cases, I think one which even went to a state or the US Supreme Court.

That's why here in AZ we can own guns for self defense. You alone are responsible for your own safety, no one else.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 PM

1,136 posts, read 649,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
Do you have proof of this? or is this just what you think happened.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM

278 posts, read 317,362 times
Good luck.

Those dang '96 993 C2 P-cars will do it to you everytime ; ).....madmmac '84 M491

Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 AM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,802,673 times
Of course, we all know that radar guns are always accurate.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 3,791,147 times
I don't think this radar gun was even on. My detector never misses a bogey.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Of course, we all know that radar guns are always accurate.

yeah, those pesky radar guns, they are only calibrated before every shift, just like every driver's speedometer - right?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I don't think this radar gun was even on. My detector never misses a bogey.
Never? How do you know? I mean, how do you actually know? Apparently, it missed this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area