U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,111,182 times

Advertisements

Here is a copy of the court document. He was scheduled to be in court today at 08:30.
He printed his signature, that doesn't say much for his education.
http://www.kpho.com/download/2011/0218/26906705.pdf (broken link)

http://www.kpho.com/download/2011/0218/26906742.pdf (broken link)

note his father actually works at the same school. The defendant will be 16 in May and is 5'10" 210 pounds.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 02-23-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM

523 posts, read 525,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Then that's the way the legal process will run.

Just like when they dropped charges against that teacher .... maybe they were a little quick out of the gate with a full range of charges, in the end the whole thing ended up being false

However, at the time there was an adult in the eyes of the system charged with a serious crime - that will get your picture in the paper

At a minimum he would be in violation of Misconduct Involving a Weapon - Possessing a Deadly Weapon on School Grounds

This would be a class 1 misdemeanor unless the violation occurs in connection with conduct that violates section 13-2308, subsection A, paragraph 5 (deals with the use of minors by crime syndicates), section 13-2312, subsection C (deals with using a minor for rackateering), section 13-3409 (using a minor in a drug offense) or section 13-3411 (again, a minor with drugs), in which case the offense is a class 6 felony.

So it's not bringing the gun to school that will have him facing the felony

It's the attempt.

Here is what AZ considers an attempt:

He could have a defense if he renunciated his criminal intent

With a pre-meditated action I'm and statement of what they were going to do I think 1st degree murder would probably be the charge

That would put him in line for a potential class 2 felony

Now I think it would be a hard thing to get a conviction and they may very well be using it for political or scare reasons

However, if you are being charged with a Class 2 felony you're going to make the papers

It's also not completely baseless on what limited detail is out there:

1 - Told a classmate he was going to kill a teacher
2 - Had a loaded weapon on his person with proximity to that teacher
3 - No other known reason to have a weapon in that circumstance than to follow through on what he said he wanted to do
4 - No knowledge that he "changed his mind"
5 - It appears there was a course of action in place to willfully end the life of someone in a premeditated fashion

Personally I think it's going to be impossible for it to stick and it will plea down - but I don't think it's completely baseless either
I'm not sure how the Class 2 felony is going to work out. Legal precedent from previous cases is mixed. As of this point, I haven't heard of any more recent developments.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,111,182 times
Teen incompetent for trial in Goodyear school gun incident
Here is an update.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM

624 posts, read 678,475 times
Default 2 choices: accept resposibility or blame somebody else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
More details. He hardly sounds like the vicious killer the county attorney would have us believe he is. He sounds a lot more like some immature kid with bad judgment. Makes me wonder even more about the motives of the county attorney. I still suspect his treatment is racially motivated. The County Attorney ran on an anti-Hispanic immigrant agenda with the endorsement of Arpaio.

Goodyear police: Teen with gun at school lacked understanding
Oh my it is the legal systems fault and this young man was not going to follow through with his murder threat according to Ponderosa. This young boy is a victim. It is the racist sheiff and the racist county attorney who are the mean guys because this boy brought a gun to his high school and said he was going to kill his math teacher. I guess the school should have an IEP/Special Education meeting to discuss a plan of action. hahahahaha
This young boy lacked understanding???? Don't we all, when we do stupid things, we can accept responsiblity or blame somebody else. Ponderosa seems to want to blame somebody else.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,690,702 times
*Update*

Izrahias Morales has pled guilty to attempted first-degree murder charges and will face two years in prison followed by 7 years of probation. Apparently he also pled guilty to possession of a firearm as a minor.

Teen who brought loaded gun to Goodyear school sentenced

Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM

11,533 posts, read 9,727,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A 15 year old knows and understands his/her motivations and knows what murder is. Try this kid as an adult. He deserves it. No sympathy from me. Plus, if convicted, it will keep him off the street for years instead of letting him go at 18.
Talk will always be the cheapest of all commodites, and oftentimes the most expensive!

We delude ourselves into thinking the money to incarcerate criminals grows on trees or Saguaro cactii, to the tune of $40-$50k a year (both direct and indirect costs), and it's long been projected prison costs will play a strong hand in sinking this country into bankruptcy, default on our sovereign debt.

I, for one, am too anxious for that to happen to bring this country down to earth! I say, give this kid life without parole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area