U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times

Advertisements

I bought two pots of basil today at Lowe's, and the girl there said basil is so fragile here to be verrrry careful of the sun. If it gets too hot the leaves will burn.
Well, it's only 70-something in the day here, and I put out a Peace Lilly plant to get sun and the leaves burned! Already!!!! Dang....

Has anyone here had good luck growing very fragile leaf-types like basil here in pots outdoors? I'm thinking it might be safer to try and grow it indoors--even tho I have 80% sunscreen shades on my bay windows in the kitchen.

What do you herb gardners think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM

8,677 posts, read 9,999,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I bought two pots of basil today at Lowe's, and the girl there said basil is so fragile here to be verrrry careful of the sun. If it gets too hot the leaves will burn.
Well, it's only 70-something in the day here, and I put out a Peace Lilly plant to get sun and the leaves burned! Already!!!! Dang....

Has anyone here had good luck growing very fragile leaf-types like basil here in pots outdoors? I'm thinking it might be safer to try and grow it indoors--even tho I have 80% sunscreen shades on my bay windows in the kitchen.

What do you herb gardners think?
Keep them in the shade, water well so they don't dry out, but watch carefully....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM

253 posts, read 494,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I put out a Peace Lilly plant to get sun and the leaves burned!
Peace Lilies should always be kept in filtered/indirect bright light, even in the house, because I think the leaves do burn in full sun.

You should be fine with herbs in the sun in this weather. I only have to start shading basil when it gets hotter - 95+. Right now in pots on the patio, facing south, in full sun, I have: Basil (both Genovese and Sweet Basil), thyme (French and lemon), marjoram, sage, chives, and oregano. Mint, parsley, and cilantro are the ones I don't have good luck with so far. My rosemary in the ground is so big I have to prune it by half every year.

Last edited by Rubee; 02-16-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM

5,597 posts, read 5,477,575 times
I grow basil in a big pot in Tucson. I keep the pot outside in the spring and once it is firmly established, I move it to my covered patio where it stays the rest of the summer. The indirect light it gets there is quite enough for it to grow huge. I use the basil all summer, often cutting huge clumps to make pesto. I water the plant every day. If I should forget, or even not get there soon enough, it wilts then perks back up after the watering. I've never had leaves get brown except for ones that have been there too long. It's generally about 10 degrees cooler in Tucson than Phoenix, so maybe that makes a difference, I dunno. But basil is a Mediterranean plant, so shouldn't it be able to survive in hot weather?

I don't have good luck with herbs that are more typical in moderate climates -- such as parsley, thyme, and mint. Their greenery dries out, even if plenty of water and shade is provided. But I did notice last summer that the plant deaths occurred in order of how small their leaves were, so I suspect the water doesn't get to the leaves fast enough and they crisp up, just as my roses will if I don't cut them as soon as they bloom.

I grow rosemary in the ground because I think it's pretty in my rock garden and it weathers the summer just fine. My sister-in-law has some rosemary edging her back patio that is almost four feet high in the summer. She supplies the whole neighborhood. I'm planning to try my previously unsuccessful herbs indoors this year.

Tootsie, I don't know if anyone's told you yet, but most potted plants that die in Arizona bite the dust because the roots boil in the water you put on them. When the temp's well over 100 every day, not too many potted plants can survive for long. I just accept it and replant my pots a couple of times through the summer. And I actually have better luck with plastic pots than clay ones. I used to be a pot snob and turned up my nose a plastic pots, but in my experience they actually work better here if you can prevent them from melting by keeping them out of direct sun.

As for your peace lily, I've even have those get their leaves burned in the house. The sun in AZ is REALLY sizzling even when the air is cool. I have some house plants growing at my place that do fine nowhere near a window.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:23 AM

3,369 posts, read 4,187,203 times
I don't know if I'd advertise that you're growing "herb"....
Keep it on the downlow.... This isn't California!

Peace!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times
I thought of that "herb" thang...funny...

Boy, nothing like having some "old hands" at growing in pots here to help..thanks for the answers. Reps to you all!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM

142 posts, read 428,695 times
I have grown oregano, basil, chives, a few different mints, lemon balm, and I currently have arugula growing(it's the only one that survived the frosts except for the chives). The basil will definitely need shade in the summer but I've grown it best at this time of year until around mid June, then it needs protection. I can grow rosemary, oregano, chives, and mints all year round. Make sure you water deeply, mulch the beds well, keep them fertilized, and provide shade in the heat and you should be fine growing most herbs.
I can't help you with the peace lilly but I want to put in my 2 cents about potted plants. I've had the best luck using large plastic pots for my plants that have rollers on the bottom. The rollers allow me to easily move the pots if I find the plants are getting too much heat. Also, I fill the bottom (about 1/4 of the pot) with packing peanuts to help cut down on the weight of the pot itself. Hope this helps!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM

253 posts, read 494,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
I've had the best luck using large plastic pots for my plants that have rollers on the bottom. The rollers allow me to easily move the pots if I find the plants are getting too much heat.
Good point - I do the same, though buy regular pots + plant stand rollers so I can change them around. I get them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Last edited by Rubee; 02-17-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
So how much sun is too much sun for Basil? I realize that it depends on the temp, but where I have it, covered, on a patio, it only gets a couple of hours of sun a day, if that. Hhhmmmm . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area