U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 AM

77 posts, read 275,766 times
Default Giving away stuff on Freecycle

I just signed up this week to donate some stuff to declutter my home.

It's been a great experience so far. I donated some computer stuff, a TV, and other electronic gadgets. The people who were interested in my items were very nice and very much needed the items.

Anyone else here use freecycle? Generally good experiences? Any bad experiences? Anything to be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM

8,283 posts, read 10,069,197 times
What do they do with the donated items? Do they pick up?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 AM

132 posts, read 153,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I just signed up this week to donate some stuff to declutter my home.

It's been a great experience so far. I donated some computer stuff, a TV, and other electronic gadgets. The people who were interested in my items were very nice and very much needed the items.

Anyone else here use freecycle? Generally good experiences? Any bad experiences? Anything to be aware of?
I have freecycled some stuff before. Some takers can be a bit flaky (getting pissed because you won't deliver..). I usually just put the stuff out by the curb & let any takers know its there and first come, first served.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

642 posts, read 1,429,450 times
I use it to get rid of things all the time.

I hear you though. I gave away a large dish set. It did not have the coffee cups. Lady went on and on about the coffee cups and where are they?
I mean, hey I just gave it away FREE.

But in general it is fine. The biggest problem I have out here are no shows.
Real biog problem. So now I will not hold, it is first come first serve.

When I wait at home for someone to show up it is rude when they dont and there are ten other people that would have.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

508 posts, read 794,619 times
I have used Freecycle 2-3 times. It's a great thing. Recently, however, I went through some health and mobility issues and the person I was supposed to pick up from got pissed that I hadn't communicated. When I finally got there, the stuff was gone. That wasn't cool either. But generally speaking, Freecycle is a really great community of folks. Can't believe some of the things I've seen on there, very cool!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:18 PM

13,501 posts, read 15,566,348 times
I just joined the Tempe Yahoo group for Freecycle. Sounds like a good way to move stuff, and pick up useful stuff free too.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM

968 posts, read 1,461,356 times
I use Freecycle all the time, especially now that I'm getting rid of stuff in preparation for (hopefully) moving to AZ. The main problem I've had is people not showing up. But that is par for the course here in my part of TN. People have no consideration for others' time here. Repairmen, contractors, Freecyclers, whatever, they just plain don't show up and don't bother letting you know they're not coming. I've nicknamed TN the "No-Show State".

Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,359,496 times
I use, and it is great...not had a problem either way, but don't utilize that much.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM

4,733 posts, read 4,313,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I use Freecycle all the time, especially now that I'm getting rid of stuff in preparation for (hopefully) moving to AZ. The main problem I've had is people not showing up. But that is par for the course here in my part of TN. People have no consideration for others' time here. Repairmen, contractors, Freecyclers, whatever, they just plain don't show up and don't bother letting you know they're not coming. I've nicknamed TN the "No-Show State".
Don't expect that to be any better in Arizona. My favorite illustration of life in Tucson: One Tuesday, at 3:30 p.m. I went to have my car's oil changed at a nationally known establishment in a prominent location. There was a sign clearly posted on the door saying the place was open until 6 p.m., a fact that was also prominently displayed on their Internet site. No-can-do, insisted the guy behind the counter, even when I pointed out there was only one car in the bay and they were open for two-and-a-half more hours. The explanation? "We're closing up early. We did enough work for one day."

Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 AM

13,501 posts, read 15,566,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Don't expect that to be any better in Arizona. My favorite illustration of life in Tucson: One Tuesday, at 3:30 p.m. I went to have my car's oil changed at a nationally known establishment in a prominent location. There was a sign clearly posted on the door saying the place was open until 6 p.m., a fact that was also prominently displayed on their Internet site. No-can-do, insisted the guy behind the counter, even when I pointed out there was only one car in the bay and they were open for two-and-a-half more hours. The explanation? "We're closing up early. We did enough work for one day."
Never heard that one before. It's not quite the same as a repairman or a contractor that comes to your house (or a freecycler), but I also don't think it has anything to do with the fact that this oil change place was in AZ. Stupid (including bad business decisions and poor customer service) happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area