Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times

Advertisements

that's a good price. How many square feet is the pool? How deep is it? According to the Assessor, most of the older pools are 400+/-sf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
that's a good price. How many square feet is the pool? How deep is it? According to the Assessor, most of the older pools are 400+/-sf.
It's a "play pool", not a "lap" pool, so it's fairly small, and it doesn't have any waterfalls or expensive add-ons, though it does have some sort of "self-cleaning" feature built in. My point was that even though lots of people quote the "cost" of a pool at $35-50k, that figure would likely include completely re-landscaping the back yard, waterfalls, plantings, a large patio with an awning, low voltage lighting, a watering system, outdoor grill, etc - and those expensive add-ons probably wouldn't be present in an older home anyway.

I really have a problem with people quoting prices out of magazines or from TV shows, like that one on HGTV, "My house is worth what?". I've watched them quote a "budget" kitchen remodel at $50k, which is just silly for Phoenix. I could get a kitchen done with custom alder-wood cabinets, stainless appliances, travertine floors & slab granite for $15-$20k - and I'm not a flipper or a "pro" rehabber.

One of the "flips" In my neighborhood had original cabinets (they just painted them), with a granite slab countertop & new appliances (but no fridge). It is clean & "fresh" looking, but that's not a $50k kitchen - more like a $2k-$3k kitchen. It just sold for $60k over what the flipper paid for it in November. I can only surmise the buyer watched too many HGTV shows and thinks the seller is "only" making $20k on the deal...

decide for yourself - pics.... (keep in mind, I'm not saying the seller did anything wrong - the buyer just doesn't know what things really cost - I.E., painting the original cabinets isn't the same as writing a check for $6k-10k for new ones! ...) And it's not entirely the buyer's fault - some appraiser appraised the house at that higher price, and some banker wrote a mortgage against it at that price.

old...

new...

Last edited by Zippyman; 03-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: more info, pics.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
...One of the "flips" In my neighborhood had original cabinets (they just painted them), with a granite slab countertop & new appliances (but no fridge). It is clean & "fresh" looking, but that's not a $50k kitchen - more like a $2k-$3k kitchen. It just sold for $60k over what the flipper paid for it in November. I can only surmise the buyer watched too many HGTV shows and thinks the seller is "only" making $20k on the deal...
Or the flipper/seller was able to get a real bargain on the purchase, perhaps at a trustee auction, and was able to sell for a nice profit based on appraised market value with improvements.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,680 times
Ah...it's too bad you aren't here already. Today was the Coronado Historic District Home and Garden Tour (where I live): Coronado Neighborhood Association

I second the recommendation for checking out Coronado, Willo, F.Q. Story, etc. I've been living here in Coronado for almost 2 years and LOVE it. It's got the diversity, historic feel, cool little shops and restaurants, and my neighbors are all really down-to-earth and friendly. I really feel the warmth and support. If you're not afraid of doing some renovation, then I imagine you could find a very good deal here in Coronado. Lots of bungalows, some Tudor-revivals, a few Santa Fe, and English-style cottages...sometimes, even though I've been living here a while, I like to take a different route to and from wherever I'm going just so I can see some more houses! Willo is very nice, too, but more pricey, as is FQ Story.
As for crime, yes, we have it, like all of Phoenix...but yes, mostly of the property variety. Since you say it will be a vacation home, I'm not sure what the answer is, aside from 1) find a house near a retired person who would be willing to keep an eye on it; we do have some retirees here in Coronado, too, so that's possible 2) get an alarm system 3) don't keep anything expensive in your house while away

The type of criminal we get around this neighborhood seems to be very unsophisticated (I infer this by the burglary that took place at my house about a year ago)...some fake video cameras and 'surveillance' signs might even be enough to do the trick. Best of luck whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area