Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM

12 posts, read 21,017 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have lived in Tempe for several months with my husband and we are seriously looking into buying a home. We want to spend about 130K and our search has lead up to south central phoenix near baseline east of central ave but several blocks west of Priest Drive. We like the proximity to new shopping and the views of south mountain and closeness to Tempe where my husband works. We like Tempe a lot but the homes are pretty old. There are many nice looking new neighborhoods in the baseline area but from what I have been reading nice looking does not always mean nice place to live. I have heard people say avoid North of Baseline all together. Is this true even for a gated community? What about South of Baseline is this a much better option? My husband and I are not scared off by some crime. Yet we don't want to be living with gunshots at night, and total crime infestation. I would love to hear peoples experiences and recommendations. Also is there other areas within 20minutes of Tempe or in Tempe that we can find a home for around 100-130k that we should be looking at? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
I've lived in the South Phoenix area for six years. I have never had any issue with crime while living here. In fact I had more issues living in Tempe with break-ins and property damage.

I live in a gated community just off of Baseline and the biggest problem we've had is graffiti on our outer walls which is removed/covered within 24 hours after calling our HOA.

My wife and I hike...bike...jog and spend plenty of time outside of our community and we've never felt unsafe.

If you want any other info on the area DM me.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
OP Baseline west of I-10 is the beginning of the hood and really starts @ 48th St.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,656 times
The area west of 48th St and Baseline has made a huge upsurgence and has become quite diverse racially and in the type of housing you will find there. See all the new shopping at 24th St and Baseline. It is due to rapid middle and upper class growth in the area home wise.

I would say stay south of Baseline and between 16th St and 40th St. Maybe go as far north of Baseline 4-5 blocks. Just drive around and get a feel. I think you'll be just fine. There are some homes just north of Baseline around 16th St that will definately meet your criteria which are newer homes but don't stay more than a few blocks north or the area will shift. There are gated communities just south of Baseline and east of 24th St that have fabulous homes if that makes you feel any better about the quality of the area. You just have to see if you are comfortable with the homes and neighborhoods near there in your price range.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 PM

12 posts, read 21,017 times
Thanks for the replies. I looked at 14 houses in the region. I can see how after 16th it takes a big dive and I look at the neighborhoods surrounding these communities and think no way! I found some areas South of baseline by 24th that are really nice and new communities. I wouldn't think twice about living there. Once again all the input was appreciated

Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danskgirl7 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I looked at 14 houses in the region. I can see how after 16th it takes a big dive and I look at the neighborhoods surrounding these communities and think no way! I found some areas South of baseline by 24th that are really nice and new communities. I wouldn't think twice about living there. Once again all the input was appreciated
Just make sure you get use to the sound of gunfire at night and the ghetto bird out all night. West if 48th St is the ghetto and has some of the worst neighborhoods in the valley. There are some new houses South of Baseline @ the Base of South Mountain. Just know what you are getting yourself into.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM

294 posts, read 989,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danskgirl7 View Post
Hi,
I have lived in Tempe for several months with my husband and we are seriously looking into buying a home. We want to spend about 130K and our search has lead up to south central phoenix near baseline east of central ave but several blocks west of Priest Drive. We like the proximity to new shopping and the views of south mountain and closeness to Tempe where my husband works. We like Tempe a lot but the homes are pretty old. There are many nice looking new neighborhoods in the baseline area but from what I have been reading nice looking does not always mean nice place to live. I have heard people say avoid North of Baseline all together. Is this true even for a gated community? What about South of Baseline is this a much better option? My husband and I are not scared off by some crime. Yet we don't want to be living with gunshots at night, and total crime infestation. I would love to hear peoples experiences and recommendations. Also is there other areas within 20minutes of Tempe or in Tempe that we can find a home for around 100-130k that we should be looking at? Thanks so much.
i think you will be more than alright in that area.. to put it into perspective we own a vacation home around 27th ave and south of baseline and we leave it unoccupied majority of the year and we've never once had any issues, granted it is in a gated community. the views of south mountain, access to trails and proximity to downtown and airport are huge. all our neighbours are terfific people, new ammenities and shopping popping up every day. in the long run when prices of gas increase you will see people flock closer to the core vs driving all the way out to good year or queen creek on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area