Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times

Advertisements

You can do just fine in Phoenix metro on a $50,000 annual income. With $150,000 you'll be living pretty large....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM

102 posts, read 229,996 times
My wife and I make considerably less than 150K in the Chicago area and have a home valued at 300K with 8K in property tax. I could only wish that we made 150K and were living in Phoenix! We'd have a palace!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
I live in Ky. and am considering a move to ariz. Was wondering if it would be possible to find small farm with house and outbuildings. Don't need alot of land.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttramsey50 View Post
I live in Ky. and am considering a move to ariz. Was wondering if it would be possible to find small farm with house and outbuildings. Don't need alot of land.
You might want to start a new thread with this question, which doesn't relate to the topic of this thread. If you are not looking at the Phoenix area specifically, put it in the Arizona forum.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 AM

523 posts, read 937,401 times
Unfortuantely, Arizona has a higher cost of living than the average U.S. state. This is another reason we have been losing so many people to more affordable states. Here is the official data from the government: Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2010

Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM

16 posts, read 40,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMisery View Post
I'm sorry guys, but what kind of post is this? $150K and asking if they will live comfortably. You have to be kidding me with a question like this. You would be good in just about every single part of the counrty. Can't you see what jobs pay in AZ and see the amount of people who are on here posting daily? I just think this is a rub it in and look at "US" thread. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I just can't see someone even having to ask such a question.
Let me say that I didn't mean to come off as being rude to the OP. I guess if the OP had never researched anything that this would be a valid question to ask. Given that they are professionals making a pretty decent salary I would think this is not the first site they have looked at and that they have a decent idea as to the cost of living in the Phoenix area. I would have assumed that they have seen how the housing market has tanked and that you can pick up a very nice home at a very reasonable price. Once again, I'm sorry if I came off rudely or that people think I'm a negative person by nature. That's not me in the least. Do I want to get away from where I have been living for the last 13 years? Yes I do and you can't blame a person for that. I would love to see anyone on this board live here and tell me that they love it. I have met very few people who actually like it here, but don't want to move due to family and jobs being here. It seems to me that there are a lot of people on here that will pick an argument with anyone over anything. They just love to argue and prove people wrong. Sure the argument could be made that in every state of the union that there are neighborhoods that $150,000 per year won't get you far in, but in most it will get you very far and you will live great. I would say that in over 95% of the nation $150,000 would make for a great living and you would probably be living better than quite a few in those areas.

To the OP, if you are intelligent in the least, you will have no problem living in Phoenix on $150,000 per year income. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Unfortuantely, Arizona has a higher cost of living than the average U.S. state. This is another reason we have been losing so many people to more affordable states. Here is the official data from the government: Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2010
I won't dispute this at all.

That chart ranks Arizona 36th in the nation, look how high the percentage is for transportation costs, even housing costs rank higher than the national average.

I can relate to the high transportation costs. Commuting around in this metropolitan area alone is pretty high, the gas, the vehicle maintenance, wear and tear, the registration fees, not cheap to to drive around here.

I wonder what all they use to determine the housing costs though and why they are on the high side.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 AM

11 posts, read 14,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
You can do just fine in Phoenix metro on a $50,000 annual income. With $150,000 you'll be living pretty large....
Just curious, as I am considering a move to PHX by next Fall, does this $50k annual income cover one or two people living in your home?

Thank you.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGypsyGal View Post
Just curious, as I am considering a move to PHX by next Fall, does this $50k annual income cover one or two people living in your home?

Thank you.
Sure, you can live comfortably on $50k annual income if you live within your means. If you want to live in the popular areas with the best schools and a large home, new cars, etc. you'll have a hard time but you can certainly make it on that if you watch your spending.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM

52 posts, read 164,946 times
When someone with that kind of income asks the question about weather they will be able to live comfortably in an area that isn't LA, NYC, DC, southern CT, etc, I always figure they have lost touch with reality.

With that salary, you should be able to live very comfortably in just about any neighborhood you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: