Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I have seen a definate incremental decline in the quality of life in the Valley over the last 25 years.
Given my ties here, I have no desire to live anywhere else and still see Phoenix as OZ but yes things are not what they where and this is attributable to - too many folks moving here.

It would would be nice to see a shift in the Valley's economy away from real esate speculation and move in the direction of good jobs.

I also would like to see the Valley stop being a magnet for transient types - running from their personal problems expecting to find gold/cake here - but I do not have an answer for that one.
Excellent. A well-informed voice of reason you truly are. I agree with everything you said, except for the part about having no desire to live anywhere else. I'm moving out of Phoenix because this place is too big for its britches, has little to offer for a city its size, and the quality of life has drastically declined. Maybe if there were real big-city attractions to move here besides low-cost real estate and the weather there would be fewer transient types and a higher class of new arrivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 42,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Excellent. A well-informed voice of reason you truly are. I agree with everything you said, except for the part about having no desire to live anywhere else. I'm moving out of Phoenix because this place is too big for its britches, has little to offer for a city its size, and the quality of life has drastically declined. Maybe if there were real big-city attractions to move here besides low-cost real estate and the weather there would be fewer transient types and a higher class of new arrivals.
To me, I think the quality of life as you mentioned is declining because the cost of living especially in housing is so low that it attracts low-income individuals/families. As long as there's land to build cheap homes on and grow outwards, then the value of homes won't increase, thus, attracting low-income people like what Maryvale has become. How many Fortune 500 companies have a large presence that provide high paying jobs in Phoenix? I can only have a few (U.S. Airways, PetSmart, American Express, Intel, Boeing) which isn't acceptable in a metro area as large as Phoenix.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
The problem I see is people saying that Phoenix should be like this city or that city--usually some place the person lived or visited. I've said before Phoenix is not San Francisco, S.F. is not Seattle, Seattle is not L.A., L.A. is not Chicago, Chicago is not Dallas, Dallas is not NYC, NYC is not Boston, Boston is not Houston, Houston is not San Diego, San Diego is not Philly, Philly is not Phoenix, etc. Each city is unique, all with "pluses" and "minuses", and none are perfect.
If one doesn't think Phoenix is "world class" enough for them, then he or she is free to leave and live in whatever "world class city" that person wishes to live in. Millions of people choose to live here by their own choice. Yes, millions of people choose to live in Phoenix instead of San Francisco, or Chicago, or L.A., or Seattle, etc. For one reason or another, they chose Phoenix instead of those other places.
So what sense does it make to try and be more like those cities the folks here chose not to live in? If one wants to live in those other cities so badly, go live there! The only person stopping you is you (and yet, something is stopping you...).
Is Phoenix "too large"? No, and it will grow at least triple in size--at least... and probably more. If you don't like that, you are free to find a smaller city. You have tons of choices. Heck, you don't even have to move far....
People choose to live here. People are choosing to move here every day. People are choosing to move here instead of all the other "world class cities" out there.
You chose to live here.
I don't get this "Phoenix should be more like..." nonsense....

Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
The Phoenix metro is an evolving area whereas more cosmopolitan cities such as San Francisco, Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, Philly,and Minneapolis/St Paul for example are older cities with established industries.

When I was growing up in Phoenix in the 70's the population was 1 and 1/2 million people and there were only 2 freeways. I-10 didn't exist except for south to Tucson and west of Goodyear until the middle 80's.

Phoenix has always been a service industry type of place, with no unions, no major manufacturing, and only a few aerospace companies like Motorola and Air Research, U-Haul and Armour-Dial until the 90's. Tourism and snowbirds was the economy.

Urban sprawl and the availablity of low priced land in which to develop, allowed the Phoenix metro area to grow to the over 4 million people here today. Because of the urban sprawl and affordable housing, the downtown area was not maintained as a hub for business and shopping, and a subway system and lifestyle that would sustain the urban core did not exist.

Lower income jobs fueled the growth and the inability for many working class Californians to buy affordable homes, and the desire for others to escape the cold of the Midwest and East fueled the growth. You don't have the old established union jobs and established corporate white collar jobs with higher earnings that build a solid cosmopolitan metro. Most of the affluent people have established family businesses, or moved here and brought their money with them, or have winter homes here.Many people who have moved here come from rural or smaller town environments, and work in jobs not requiring a college education.

The sprawl is a problem. It would have been far better to renovate homes in the Maryvale area IMO than expand to Queen Creek and Buckeye for example. That is what happened to the LA metro. People move to areas like Lancaster, Palmdale, Banning and Beaumont to buy an affordable home and then commute 50-80 miles or so to work in bumper to bumper traffic. Only in LA older areas are rehabbed and alive, where in Phoenix they die out and buildings sit abondoned.

But you also have to look at Phoenix as a metro area that almost tripled it's population in 30 years. Most places haven't grown that fast. The availablity of privately owned land contributed to the sprawl. Vegas isn't as bad given they have grown tremendously, because much of the surrounding land there is publicly owned.

I don't think it's getting to large, but the growth needs to be managed better, and central area properties need to be revamped, and not abandoned. The political structure in Maricopa County has always been corrupt, and conservative, and to be a forward thinking cosmopolitan metro, you need more open minded forward thinking leaders.Phoenix leaders were afraid of freeways and afraid of becoming an LA, let alone be able to have managed and organized growth.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
The crush hour traffic commute tells me everyday how large and crowded this metropolitan area is getting to be, and that more freeways and transit options are needed to meet the demand.

Until the economy starts booming again and the state's budget mess is fixed I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
The political structure in Maricopa County has always been corrupt, and conservative, and to be a forward thinking cosmopolitan metro, you need more open minded forward thinking leaders.Phoenix leaders were afraid of freeways and afraid of becoming an LA, let alone be able to have managed and organized growth.
Conservative has nothing to do with it. Liberalism worked wonders for Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland and other such places.

Take a jab at corruption, by all means, but leave conservatism out.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
The dependance of the Valley's economy on real estate speculation and endless runaway sprawl needs to stop.
That would be a start.
I hold out hope that his crash would foster such a change but only time will tell.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM

141 posts, read 420,764 times
The area has become too large. The population in the Phoenix Valley is larger than any population that nature ever intended to support in this arid land.

There are simply way too many people drinking out of the same well than the well can support - and we have no viable human solutions to the limited natural resources in the area.

Living in the desert, as we do here in AZ, is simply unsustainable.

Yeah - it's too big.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Too big. Liked it when it was 1.9 milliion. It was big then, but more user friendly. I think it will only get larger out here. Even if small gains.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabundo94 View Post
The area has become too large. The population in the Phoenix Valley is larger than any population that nature ever intended to support in this arid land.

There are simply way too many people drinking out of the same well than the well can support - and we have no viable human solutions to the limited natural resources in the area.

Living in the desert, as we do here in AZ, is simply unsustainable.

Yeah - it's too big.
Please show some facts to back this up. Or are you just speculating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area