Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM

49 posts, read 130,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband grew up in Tempe and we lived there together for a few years but have been away for the past 7 years. We are looking at coming back in the next year after he is finished with school. Since the big housing bubble burst a few years ago how would you say the economy is and would you say certain parts of the valley are taking off faster than others?
Thanks for any input. In our minds we think it's tanked but that's a very uneducated thought and want to make some decisions based on people's thoughts/facts/opinions of those living there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,750,210 times
We're in a lot better shape than Vegas, but I would say the economy is a "D" here. Showing slight improvement. There is going to be a lot more turbulence in the Public Sector over budget issues in the near future--just like almost everywhere else. I was away from Phoenix for 10 years, came back, and have acquired two properties at less than 20% of their peak assessments. For many years, Phoenix (and LV, too) were places one could come without a lot of assets, and get a job, and rent a decent place (unlike the Bay area). It hasn't been that way lately. The people that saved during the boom are sitting pretty good.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,916,633 times
It's rough as it is everywhere. If you or your husband can find a good job then you will be fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,489,845 times
Unemployment is 8.4% and falling. Lots and lots of new jobs and net job growth. There have been plenty of news stories lately about companies locating or expanding here. The housing market seems to be stabilizing (especially at the lower and middle brackets). The population is still growing at a good rate. I'd give it a "C+" grade. If we're grading on a curve based on the nation as a whole, perhaps a "B+" or even "A-"....

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
And, recent figures show state sales tax revenues coming back up (NOT counting the temporary one percent increase) Any improvement there is a good sign.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 AM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And, recent figures show state sales tax revenues coming back up (NOT counting the temporary one percent increase) Any improvement there is a good sign.
Yes, but don't count on the 1% increase in sales tax as only "temporary". Once state coffers prosper with the extra money, and people get their nice little government programs reinstated as a result, the tax will be a permanent fixture. Remember the 1985 "temporary" half cent increase in sales taxes to pay for the freeways? It was extended by the voters in 2004 to pay for expansion of light rail, and for additional freeways. Actually, some of those "additional freeways" were reinstated from the old 1985 plan which ADOT severely mis managed along the way.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM

523 posts, read 933,664 times
Unfortunately things continue to degrade in the Phoenix area's economy. We have been continually looking for ways to stop this, but nothing seems to be working. Arizona was named by Forbes as one of the few states which is heading back into recession. Additionally, the real unemployment rate for Arizona remains one of the highest in the nation at 18.4%: Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Unfortunately things continue to degrade in the Phoenix area's economy. We have been continually looking for ways to stop this, but nothing seems to be working. Arizona was named by Forbes as one of the few states which is heading back into recession. Additionally, the real unemployment rate for Arizona remains one of the highest in the nation at 18.4%: Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Oh, Mr. Doom-And-Gloom, glass is half-empty and draining. You posted that old Forbes article once before, didn't you? And the U-6 data from September?

Again, Phoenix's U-3 Unemployment is 8.4% (below the national unemployment rate) and falling. Yahoo! Real Estate had a recent article predicitng Phoenix would have the fourth most job growth in the U.S. this winter.

Really, do you only have out-of-date articles and data to support your depressing opinions? Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Oh, Mr. Doom-And-Gloom, glass is half-empty and draining. You posted that old Forbes article once before, didn't you? And the U-6 data from September?

Again, Phoenix's U-3 Unemployment is 8.4% (below the national unemployment rate) and falling. Yahoo! Real Estate had a recent article predicitng Phoenix would have the fourth most job growth in the U.S. this winter.

Really, do you only have out-of-date articles and data to support your depressing opinions? Do you ever have anything positive to say?
Dude no offense but getting combative with anyone that says anything you don't want to hear will not change the fact the Valley UE is at an all time high and real estate prices continue to plummet.

I realise you want to sell houses in a terrible market but denying reality and launching ad homs on other posters here will not help.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Dude no offense but getting combative with anyone that says anything you don't want to hear will not change the fact the Valley UE is at an all time high and real estate prices continue to plummet.

I realise you want to sell houses in a terrible market but denying reality and launching ad homs on other posters here will not help.

Dude, EnicAirPheenixConcernsAZ (and probably some others), in the words of Dora, are "the grumpy old troll who lives under the bridge". He says only negative things and repeats them over and over, even after many of them have been refuted by numerous reputable posters. I get tired of it.

U-6 Unemployment is questionable, U-3 is the "standard", I don't get the point of harping on U-6. Phoenix's U-3 Unemployment is 8.4%, which is high compared to what it once was, but significantly better than the U.S. unemployment of 9.8%. Even if you look at U-6 (which is current only as of September '10, nearly six months ago), it's 18.2% for Arizona, and 17.1% for all of the U.S. (which Arizona is obviously higher, but not significantly higher).

Also, I'm not a realtor or investor and I'm not selling any houses.

As far as the housing market, the bottom has seen some gains. The middle is stabilizing, the top is still falling. For a good picture of what is happening and will be happening in the near future, I recommend the Cromford Report, which gets posted on here from time-to-time.

I'm not denying reality and I'm not "launching ad homs on other posters". EnicAZ (and his other identities) have been pretty well documented. If you want you can go to his profile and read his entire posting history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area