Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM

69 posts, read 52,090 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving to Phoenix with E2 visas

I'd like to work as a self employed plumber / chimney cleaner in Phoenix area

My wife has an online paralegal certificate.

We'd like to know how is the paralegal field right now in the Phoenix area. Are there alot of job oppotunities in this field, even with an online certificate? My wife does have a working experience but in Europe, can that help her? & do you think it'll be easier to find a job with an associate's degree because she's thinking of studying further on.

Secondly, I'd like to know if houses in Phoenix have chimneys. Weather being really hot overthere, I don't know if there's alot of work for chimney sweepers.

Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times
Moving to Phx. from Europe????? You're in for a culture-shock!!!!!

Seriously, it's not that much of a shock other than getting used to the American Way.

Chimneys aren't common here but there are a fair share depending on the area. Some of the older Neighborhoods and inner-city districts are more likely to have them. Even some of the 90's-era Sub-divisions in Suburbia have them.

Trouble is Phx. has a bit of a Pollution problem in the winter and there are lots of No-burn days, so there aren't many people that can actually use their Chimneys.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
Chimney sweep in phoenix?? Business might be a little light. You could always sell mittens on the side, though, to supplement the paycheck.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 21,027 times
I really don't think the desert is the place to be for chimney sweepers. I think you will have a very hard time making a living. Try a place that has cold weather so you will be able to support yourself, switch professions, or find another job on top of the sweeping.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:12 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,326 times
I am not buying into the reality of this thread. Pardon me if I am wrong but here is my reasoning:

1. I don't believe someone would say from "Europe", they would say what country they are from.
2. Who would have already made up their mind to move somewhere so foreign without already researching their professional needs and potential.
3. Who would choose Phoenix and 110 degree weather? I have had visitors from Europe come in the summer and they were so miserable they would not go outside to get into the car during the day.
4. This would be like a Phoenician saying I am moving to Antarctica to start a pool cleaning business.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 AM

278 posts, read 622,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I am not buying into the reality of this thread. Pardon me if I am wrong but here is my reasoning:

1. I don't believe someone would say from "Europe", they would say what country they are from.
2. Who would have already made up their mind to move somewhere so foreign without already researching their professional needs and potential.
3. Who would choose Phoenix and 110 degree weather? I have had visitors from Europe come in the summer and they were so miserable they would not go outside to get into the car during the day.
4. This would be like a Phoenician saying I am moving to Antarctica to start a pool cleaning business.

Okay...now I understand your name..you do have a bit of a bite there pal...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 7,142 times
Quote:

Maybe someone who visited before and liked it so much? But probably not someone from the northern Europe, to them Adriatic in summer is too hot.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM

69 posts, read 52,090 times
Quote:

You're wrong

1. We are from France
2. Why do you think I created this thread ?
3. We prefer hot and sunny weather than cold weather
4. I'm Hvac / plumber

Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain78 View Post
You're wrong

1. We are from France
2. Why do you think I created this thread ?
3. We prefer hot and sunny weather than cold weather
4. I'm Hvac / plumber

I've been thinking about getting into the HVAC field here. I might even enroll at HVAC school later in the year. But I want to do more research before I take the plunge. It sounds like a mixed bag out here. It sounds like you can make a good living if you own your own business but it might be shaky if working for a company.

I've encountered a few Frenchmen since I've been here. Not sure if the were on vacation or had moved here. Maybe there's a booming French community in the future!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
There are some chimneys here but not many.

OTOH it looks to me like there is plenty of opportunities for plumbers. There are also a lot of plumbers here. You will want to get a contractors license or certificate I'm not sure which. Without it many homeowners won't hire you. You might look into working for a plumbing firm first just to get a feel of the business in the valley.

I don't know anything about the paralegal field.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area