Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I have one week to go until I'm out of the wild west for all those who will be telling me to move after this post.....so don't bother.........the last place I was next to someone displaying there gun was at my sons school during pick up time. I realized at that moment that eventually with all these pretend gun owners with no training, mothers with pms, barely adults (18, 19) there would soon be a lot of accidental, or rage parking lot shootings, and kids getting their parents weapons and bringing them to school here, etc...it seems just on the horizon.

We draw people who are afraid and like guns and criminals who want to blend in (it use to be suspicious to have a gun) and have weapons that are easy to purchase here. Not to mention the people who can't purchase anywhere else.

I believe the Tucson shooting was just the beginning.
This of course is just my outlook, but I was truly convinced so I decided to move and this is one on my list of reasons why.

That is really the only thing you can do if you are uncomfortable with weapons in the hands of amateurs. AZ has really gone too far to turn back now, it promotes the opposite of what I'm comfortable with. It's not about sport, it's mainly about fear, a lot of fear of ones neighbors, and community. If people are that afraid of Phoenix I think Phoenix better clean up its act. Not arm every Tom, Dick and Harry because the people who are always afraid are the people who do the most damage carrying a gun with no experience in my opinion. I don't know who the criminal is anymore, guns are everywhere and sorry, but criminals don't have it stamped in their forehead for me to distinguish. I'm uncomfortable and don't trust anyone with a gun because they are afraid which makes me uncomfortable to be around them.

Not to mention it gives an over all feeling that I'm living 100 years ago and I'd rather feel I'm progressing not regressing.
I don't have the slightest faith in society trying to save me in a shoot out, now if I'm in a store and a criminal pulls out a gun I not only have to worry about getting shot by him but also all the untrained shooters that will start firing past me at him. It has only added to my discomfort.
So, as I am probably only one of a few that agrees with you, I do and thought I would share. Good luck with this issue, it's a hard one for some of us.

The next time you come across a thread where people ask you if Phoenix has crime, you will laugh about this thread..........the same people who carry out of fear will say "no" we don't have enough crime to worry about. It's funny. "Only enough to feel like you have to go to the store packin"
Most excellent post, Twiggy. Congratulations on your move! Good luck!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I guess I'm curious what murder-free town you are moving to, because last I heard, they've happened everywhere, including in most small towns. While high crime rates (like what one finds in Tucson) certainly is a good reason to relocate, 1) one high-crime city does not reflect on the whole state, and 2) if you are running away from one incident, a similar incident is likely to occur at some point in whatever state you are moving to, so it's kind of pointless.

That's illogical at best.
Phoenix (the city, not the metro) crime rates are pretty much on par with the national crime rates except for auto theft, which is significantly higher (as are most southwestern cities). Gilbert was recently named the "17th safest city in America". If you "need" a safer city than that, it sounds like you have 16 choices in all of America....
You've missed my points but with that you have helped prove them as well.
I would re read if I were you, it's the "fear" mid set which I feel is "unjustified" that I am moving away from, not the "actual" crime.
It exist here in a big way, not with just the amount of self protectors but with 1070 as well. People are all hyped up, I'm looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, a little less stress.
I will stress that this is just my opinion, and what I choose to do with my life is my business. You might as well skip my posts as you won't be convincing me to do otherwise. I appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
May the rest of your day be better, it is beautiful outside
Hey, I'm glad you brought this up. I hope Misty feels better too.

It's sad to see people become afraid and get upset. Misty you should buy a gun and learn to shoot. Then you'll have faced your fear of guns and you'll know if a situation like this one is as bad as you thought.

In fact you should make it a habit of tackling a fear a month. If you are afraid of driving fast. Take a racing course on a track. If you are afraid of heights, face that fear and get over it. You'll live much happier if you face your fears in a controlled and safe environment.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM

101 posts, read 314,402 times
I carry almost all the time if I go into a store unless they have it posted no firearms I walk right in get what I need and leave . I believe in the constitution it says we have the right to bear arms . How many freedoms do you want to give back to the government ? I also show courtesy to any Police if they maybe working security at a store I go into I make sure I point to it , always have gotten a thumbs up just my .02 cents

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
It is not illegal to carry without a holster, just dumb. Most criminals carry without holsters because of the need to quickly get rid of the gun and any evidence of one.
Well, there you go. My instincts were most likely correct which is why I freaked out.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Hey, I'm glad you brought this up. I hope Misty feels better too.

It's sad to see people become afraid and get upset. Misty you should buy a gun and learn to shoot. Then you'll have faced your fear of guns and you'll know if a situation like this one is as bad as you thought.

In fact you should make it a habit of tackling a fear a month. If you are afraid of driving fast. Take a racing course on a track. If you are afraid of heights, face that fear and get over it. You'll live much happier if you face your fears in a controlled and safe environment.
Thank you. I feel better because I slept and, once again, went to a place that is not here. If I could only figure out where that place is, I'd go there. I guarantee it's not a place where people are walking into the super pumper with guns I tell ya.

I've thought about a gun, but I would rather rely on my brain. If you've ever watched that show Criminal Minds, maybe you saw the episode where the genius boy is told he doesn't need a gun to kill - just a good profile of the criminal (or excuse me, unsub). My instincts have served me well so far. I just really think I need to figure out where that place is in my repeating dreams and go there.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil01 View Post
I carry almost all the time if I go into a store unless they have it posted no firearms I walk right in get what I need and leave . I believe in the constitution it says we have the right to bear arms . How many freedoms do you want to give back to the government ? I also show courtesy to any Police if they maybe working security at a store I go into I make sure I point to it , always have gotten a thumbs up just my .02 cents
Where exactly in the Constitution does it say that you have the right to be an irresponsible gun owner intimidating other people when not necessary?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Where exactly in the Constitution does it say that you have the right to be an irresponsible gun owner intimidating other people when not necessary?
You know what, Misty? Suppose you tell me where in the Constitution that YOU get to decide what's "intimidating". Did the guy threaten you with the gun? Are you sure it was even a real gun? Are we even sure that this story is real (I'm not)?

Everything is always about Misty, isn't it? If the guy was within his rights (and it sounds like he was, given the laws in the state you choose to live in), you should have simply left the store if you felt uncomfortable with him or any of the other customers.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I just really think I need to figure out where that place is in my repeating dreams and go there.
Good luck with that. Everyone would do that if we could and we would take all our friends with us.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Misty, how do you know the gun was real? Maybe he thought no one would mess with him if they saw it, i.e., maybe past issues?

Now if I went into a store and saw that, if I was bothered by it, I would have left at least until he drove away...and I certainly would not have spent half the day letting it get to me....May the rest of your day be better, it is beautiful outside
Thanks, Grannysroost. It was real. It was heavy and real. You're sure right. No one would mess with him (except another criminal and this guy might have been) or a LE officer.

I guess I could have left, but I did not notice it instantly. And it does get to me, for some reason, and I don't like to see guns except on Criminal Minds. And that is when the good guys are using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area