Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyGirl45 View Post
Hi! We are moving to the Phoenix area next year and I'm starting to research home prices - I can't believe the deals in Maricopa. My question would be how bad is the traffic into the city in the mornings? My husband will be working in Tempe. Thanks!
How bad is that commute from Maricopa to Tempe? Bed enough to say don't even consider it. This is one of the main reasons why houses are so cheap in Maricopa - it's an unreasonable commute to most workplaces in the Phoenix metro Phoenix.

As a matter of perspective, Phoenix metro is now the fifth largest city in the YEA. If you are used to large cities and their suburbs, you will think Maricopa is in the boondocks. However, if your familiarity lies with very urban, farmland, open areas, Maricopa may seem like the town center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Agreed about the schools. My son lives in Maricopa and their daughter will be starting kindergarten in Kyrene schools this month.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
I will always continue to love the "blanket" statements like "so bad dont even consider it"!

Although I welcome and provide my own OPINIONS, I try to provide actual imperical information so a poster can decide for themselves.

How bout saying - "well, my experience and knowledge says its about a 45-60 min commute (or whatever it is...Im not saying that is the case for Maricopa to PHX) and can be backed up even worse if there is a collision on either I 10 or Hwy 347, but those are not that frequent. For ME this is an unbearable commute."

I say this because for many - having an extra bedroom or two for children and/or a large backyard has more value than extra commuting time. Im not saying either value choice is right or wrong....but let the questioners evaluate actual INFORMATION for themselves.

Sorry....wasnt going personally after this last poster...its a continuing issue here on C-D.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
The Peoria/Glendale area is a great place for a family, especially if you can get a place around the Arrowhead area.

The Arrowhead area has your shopping at Arrowhead Towne Center
Has all your restaurant needs along "Restaurant Row" (Along 83rd Ave between Bell Rd and Mariners Way).
There is also the Arizona Broadway Theater (Paradise Ln and 77th Ave).
It is near the Peoria Sports Complex, so you can attended some Spring Training games or watch fireworks on 4th of July (Paradise Ln and 83rd Ave).
Don't know if you like to or not, but there are couple of golf courses around or you can go hiking an a couple of different trails all within a 20 minute drive.
Rio Vista Park (Thunderbird Rd near the Loop 101) has fields, park, a large ramada with BBQ, a small water park, fishing, skatepark, sand volleyball, and an indoor recreation building.
Wet N' Wild Phoenix is about 15-25 minutes away or Castle N' Coasters is about 20-30 minutes away.

You have great schools both in Peoria and Glendale School Districts. And for higher education, ASU West is about 15-25 minutes away as well.

You have great access to the Loop 101 because you are near the northwest corner of the 101.
Its about 15-20 minute drive to University of Phoenix Stadium and Jobing.Com Area, about 30-40 minutes to Downtown Phoenix, and about 40-50 minutes to the Airport.

**All drive times start from Arrowhead Mall (Bell Rd and 77th Ave).

Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 16,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How bad is that commute from Maricopa to Tempe? Bed enough to say don't even consider it. This is one of the main reasons why houses are so cheap in Maricopa - it's an unreasonable commute to most workplaces in the Phoenix metro Phoenix.

As a matter of perspective, Phoenix metro is now the fifth largest city in the YEA. If you are used to large cities and their suburbs, you will think Maricopa is in the boondocks. However, if your familiarity lies with very urban, farmland, open areas, Maricopa may seem like the town center.
Thanks! I know that what is tolerable is different for different people. We live in a small rural area in Oregon, so a 20 min commute might seem extra long for us. I read that Maricopa smells like the dairy farms - that is not tolerable,even for us country folk. Anyone been to Ontario, CA?

I'm thinking we should start out renting close to work, and then explore the area. Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My daughter and son in law made that drive for a year or so and hated it. I guess it depends on your stamina. The drive from Maricopa to Tempe would be far less stressful than from Peoria to Tempe, which my husband did and could not handle being in that traffic all week. The home prices in Maricopa are also a better deal than Peoria right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Traffic in on the I-10 in the morning rush, and out again in the evening, to Maricopa is a pain. And, to the OP, I don't think Maricopa schools, are "great" compared to those of other areas where you might not get such a smoking deal on a house. My nephew lives there, and has driven his school age kids to Chandler ever since they started school.
Thanks so much for your responses. We aren't used to more than 15 min anywhere, or real traffic, so I think we will try closer for now!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Wow, someone is going to buy a home.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
With that 7 figure income you posted, you belong in Scottsdale or even Fountain Hills. Good schools, and all that shopping for ya.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyGirl45 View Post
Thanks!

I'm thinking we should start out renting close to work, and then explore the area. Thanks again!

SunnyGirl that is probably the single, best investment you can make in a successful relocation and you family's happy future in Phoenix.

Welcome.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
SunnyGirl that is probably the single, best investment you can make in a successful relocation and you family's happy future in Phoenix.

Welcome.
Thank you! We're very excited to come and visit the middle of this month and get a good look around!!! So far, from this forum, it feels like there are alot of friendly people - despite the size of the area! Everyone here is so helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area