Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 34,353 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Are the Chandler and surrounding areas lesbian friendly? I don't need a "lesbian community", I just don't want us to be heavily discriminated against.

We are a lesbian family of 3. myself, my wife, and our infant daughter (fertility treatments). Legally married in our current state of residence.

Will we run into issues out there? A move may be in a future and I would like to know what we are up against.

Thank you

Last edited by movin'onup; 03-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: censorship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,569,741 times
Gilbert and Mesa is heavily influenced by LDS/Mormons

Your probably better off in Chandler, Tempe, or Scottsdale.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
I'd stay away from Gilbert. Chandler may not be much better. The SE valley suburbs are the heart of conservative Arizona. Don't pay attention to the "it's a libertarian conservatism". That may have been the case back in Goldwater's time but it is no longer. Too many retirees and midwesterners have moved here. The gay marriage ban was overwhelmingly passed in the towns of the SE Valley. The infamous Russel Pearce, father of SB1070 and a raft of other right wing causes including anti-gay and lesbian ones, represents Chandler. While I doubt anyone would overtly harass you, I think you would be most comfortable if you to stick to Tempe - the closer to the university the better.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM

860 posts, read 2,706,185 times
I have been living in Gilbert for one year. Its reasonably diverse, you needn't be mormon and I like it alot for many reasons.
But as a person with Gay friends, I can tell you my overall vibe is, this is not the best spot probably for a gay-lesbian family. I cannot speak about Chandler,but I would think twice about Gilbert or Mesa. I just don't see really any gay families here.
I agree try Tempe,Scottsdale,maybe Chandler. Sorry!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd stay away from Gilbert. Chandler may not be much better. The SE valley suburbs are the heart of conservative Arizona. Don't pay attention to the "it's a libertarian conservatism". That may have been the case back in Goldwater's time but it is no longer. Too many retirees and midwesterners have moved here. The gay marriage ban was overwhelmingly passed in the towns of the SE Valley. The infamous Russel Pearce, father of SB1070 and a raft of other right wing causes including anti-gay and lesbian ones, represents Chandler. While I doubt anyone would overtly harass you, I think you would be most comfortable if you to stick to Tempe - the closer to the university the better.
No, he doesn't. District 18 is CLEARLY Mesa only. http://www.maricopadems.com/sites/default/uploads/ld18.png (broken link)

That said, I agree that Tempe is the best choice, but I don't see Chandler as a huge problem, either, especially in the western parts, which are quite a mix of people.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,738,170 times
There is also a gay enclave in Central Phoenix around Central and Indian School.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 34,353 times
Is there a particular area of Tempe that you recommend? It's a college town, do a lot of students rent houses in all of Tempe, or just near the university?

Thank you

Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,738,170 times
I live near Mill and Southern and you can hardly tell its a college town. Mostly young prefessionals and familes no parties all weekend long. The more South you go in Tempe the more expenive it will be.

Last edited by LocoAZnative; 03-23-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I live near Mill and Southern and you can hardly tell its a college town. Mostly young prefessionals and familes no parties all weekend long. The more North you go in Tempe the more expenive it will be.
There are fewer apartments in south Tempe, but I'm not sure they are cheaper than some of the stuff around the University.

To the OP-- anywhere in Tempe would be fine as far as the tolerance issue is concerned... as LocoAZ says, if you don't want to be around the campus scene, you get out of it quickly, there are areas barely a mile from campus, to the south, that don't have the look of "college town".

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,963,321 times
I'd stay out of Scottsdale unless it's south Scottsdale. Too republican further north = well, you know.

I am going to recommend central Phoenix too around the 7th St area. FCorrales can speak better to this (if he is still around). All I know is I keep hearing these advertisements for a gay bar called Roscoes on 7th (which is of course on Phoenix's only liberal radio station) and I checked it out (online) and it's not just for men.

BTW, I'm straight but lived in San Francisco so I think I might know what kind of area would work. I would say most definitely NO to Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa. I don't know the west side well so cannot comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area