U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM

422 posts, read 178,774 times
Default Utility bill prices?

Anyone here have a 1BR/1BA small apartment, and mind sharing their utility costs? I know that apartments usually provide some of these in the rent price.

Water/Sewer
Cable
Internet
Gas
Landline Phone
Electric
Trash

Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 AM

502 posts, read 373,590 times
We have a Cox Cable bundle package, $110 per month for one year includes cable, internet and land line. Our apartment does not have gas, only electric. We are moving in tomorrow so I don't gave any other information.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 AM

99 posts, read 130,250 times
I have a friend who pays $230 a month for only electricity for a small 1 bedroom apartartment for each month (average) from April to November. Obviously during June - September it's even higher.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

13,497 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
I have a friend who pays $230 a month for only electricity for a small 1 bedroom apartartment for each month (average) from April to November. Obviously during June - September it's even higher.
If that's the case, your friend has leaking doors or windows, no insulation, no sun protection for west windows, and/or keeps the thermostat at a very low setting.

This is why threads like this are not too helpful.... there's too much variation, even between one bedroom apartments, in what a bill might be.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,496,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Anyone here have a 1BR/1BA small apartment, and mind sharing their utility costs? I know that apartments usually provide some of these in the rent price.

Water/Sewer
Cable
Internet
Gas
Landline Phone
Electric
Trash
don't let PheenixJobless numbers scare you away. His friend is either exaggerating, irresponsible with his utility usage, has a faulty meter,or lives in an apt that has leakage that would blow his hair out of place if there is a stiff breeze outside.

Trash, water and sewer will be included in your rent in virtually every apartment complex. (note: if you rent a condo or a home directly from the owner, this may change.)

the cox bundle that a prior poster mentioned is accurate. However, many people are dropping their landline in favor of their cellphone, which would save you about $20/month on that bundle. (verizon has outstanding coverage in this area, so no landline is very viable.)

not too many apts have gas - far more are all electric. Being conservative with the a/c makes a tremendous difference. Get north/south exposure. Keep the blinds closed during the day in the summer, open during the winter. Wash your clothes in cold water and run the dishwasher only when it's full (some people don't run the dry cycle and allow the dishes to dry themselves.) don't get a plasma TV!!!! Turn down the air and heat when you leave the apt - don't turn it off as cooling it down that much will cost you even more. Get ceiling fans and use them when you are in the room. Turn them OFF when you leave the room. They do not cool a room down - they only create a breeze that makes you feel cooler, which allows you to keep the a/c a little higher.

There are managed payment plans that will allow you to pay 1/12 of your estimated annual bill each month. This eliminates the financial strain of the variable bills for summer vs winter.

The utility company (APS or SRP) can give you estimates based on the prior tenant if you give them an exact address, so you'll know what you're getting into.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

295 posts, read 276,892 times
An average for a small 1 bedroom apartment will be about $180-200 a month in electricity. The other utilities are sometimes covered by the managers, but they will be an extra $80-100.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM

422 posts, read 178,774 times
Thanks all! Electricity seems like the highest, and most needed.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,496,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
An average for a small 1 bedroom apartment will be about $180-200 a month in electricity. The other utilities are sometimes covered by the managers, but they will be an extra $80-100.
A monthly annualized average if $200/month?!!? He'll, we have a 3200 sq ft house, single story, two a/c units, and our average electric bill is $120-130 I admit, we DO have gas hot water and cooking so that's extra. BUT I still think that $2400 per year in electric is waaaay too high unless you're not careful.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 AM

593 posts, read 569,356 times
I had a co-worker who had a modest house (2-3 bedrooms, I think) and was paying $500-600/month for electricity!! I had a huge 3 bedroom house with no insulation or window shades and I was only paying ~$200-250/month. So asking people what they pay really doesn't help you out at all, there's just too many variables.

One thing that WILL help keep your bills down was said by somebody already and I can't stress enough how true it is. Don't turn your air completely off during the day in the summer, it will take more energy to cool it down than it would be to just keep it running all day.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 AM

24 posts, read 4,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post

Water/Sewer
Cable
Internet
Gas
Landline Phone
Electric
Trash
I have lived in about 4 different apartment complexes across the valley, here are my averages:

Water/Sewer/Trash - $50/month
Cable/Internet/Phone - $120/month
Gas - Good luck getting gas in an apartment, it's nonexistent.
Electric - $60 9 months out of the year, $150-$200 in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area