Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

The economy is improving but it still has a long way to go before anyone can claim it's strong. It's still going to take some time. An article in the Arizona Republic stated 2015 would be the big year for the Arizona economy. If you have a secure job and home in Colorado, I wouldn't gamble and move here yet. I would give it a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, and there is the high end outlet mall down by Wild Horse Pass. It's hard to get too excited about those until we actually see how they do, given the two (or more) dying malls and all the other vacant shopping space. New stuff is a good sign, but the gaping holes in existing centers are not.
I would really love to see Cityscape turn into a success...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I know 4 highly skilled people in four different industries having this exact same problem in Arizona, not specific to Phoenix.
Oil, Education, IT, specifically networking, and manufacturing. You could easily get 15+ years from each of them.
Just because they have 15 years of experience doesn't mean they have experience relevant to the job they are applying for. You see that all the time. People think they can do a particular job because they have experience in a related field but that doesn't mean they have experience and skills for that job. Then those people will criticize the economy and state no one is hiring when in reality those people didn't have the qualifications for that particular job. This phenomenon is more common than people think. Someone will brag they have 15 years of programming software except they have no experience programming the type of software for the job they are applying for or they have no experiencing programming software for that particular industry. People need to realize that companies would rather hire someone with 3-4 years of relevant specified experience than someone with 20 years of experience in a related field. A person with PhD in mathematics or physics might be the smartest person on the planet but if they have no direct experience in the job they are applying for, guess what they aren't getting hired. People need to do a better job applying for jobs they are truly qualified for but the problem is they often can't recognize they don't meet those qualifications.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-27-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I would really love to see Cityscape turn into a success...
So would I, because I work near downtown. But, I would never call that a "mall".

Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Just because they have 15 years of experience doesn't mean they have experience relevant to the job they are applying for. You see that all the time. People think they can do a particular job because they have experience in a related field but that doesn't mean they have experience and skills for that job. Then those people will criticize the economy and state no one is hiring when in reality those people didn't have the qualifications for that particular job. This phenomenon is more common than people think. Someone will brag they have 15 years of programming software except they have no experience programming the type of software for the job they are applying for or they have no experiencing programming software for that particular industry. People need to realize that companies would rather hire someone with 3-4 years of relevant specified experience than someone with 20 years of experience in a related field. A person with PhD in mathematics or physics might be the smartest person on the planet but if they have no direct experience in the job they are applying for, guess what they aren't getting hired. People need to do a better job applying for jobs they are truly qualified for but the problem is they often can't recognize they don't meet those qualifications.
Very good points! Also even when they have tons of experience they could easily be bumped out of the running due to age (yes it happens) or expected salary. I've worked at places where they'd rather train a person up to the level they want than pay more $$$ for someone who's very experienced.
I was once told "you have exactly what we're looking for and would be perfect, your salary range is fair BUT, if we hire you and the other people in the department find out what we're paying you it'll cause trouble that I don't want to deal with so I'm sorry we have to decline".
The dept mgr that told me this was about 10 years younger than me as was the rest of the dept staff.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Then those people will criticize the economy and state no one is hiring when in reality those people didn't have the qualifications for that particular job. This phenomenon is more common than people think. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Very good points! Also even when they have tons of experience they could easily be bumped out of the running due to age (yes it happens) or expected salary. I've worked at places where they'd rather train a person up to the level they want than pay more $$$ for someone who's very experienced.
I was once told "you have exactly what we're looking for and would be perfect, your salary range is fair BUT, if we hire you and the other people in the department find out what we're paying you it'll cause trouble that I don't want to deal with so I'm sorry we have to decline".
The dept mgr that told me this was about 10 years younger than me as was the rest of the dept staff.
lol you're funny azriverfan. I had a good laugh, thanks for that. Jim, bumped for age happens all the time here. At one of the large corporations, here in Phoenix recently laid off all their management, for 20 something managers, and paying them half the rate of course. It was great when I learned about it... so great.

Last edited by shiphead; 09-28-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM

446 posts, read 708,867 times
I live in Arrowhead. 5 of the 100 houses in my gated neighborhood have been short sales or foreclosures in this calendar year.

Everywhere I look I see business's closing.

I keeping hearing the 'it's getting better' stuff, but you can't prove it by me.

If a house is in real nice shape (as in completely remodeled) and it's less than $250k, it will sell pretty fast. Other than that, not so much.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 AM

606 posts, read 1,605,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
So would I, because I work near downtown. But, I would never call that a "mall".
Neither would I, and it does have a looooong way to go, but to avoid saying anything negative, I would call it "a step in the right direction".
I am a downtown resident and I am doing my part to aide its success by patronizing Cityscape almost daily.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Neither would I, and it does have a looooong way to go, but to avoid saying anything negative, I would call it "a step in the right direction".
I am a downtown resident and I am doing my part to aide its success by patronizing Cityscape almost daily.
Good for you. I was here when downtown was nowhere you wanted to be. The improvement has been substantial. There's been other threads talking about this, and I don't want to take this one off topic, but the slowdown in the economy is one of the things that has slowed down the redevelopment a bit. I'm happy to see any progress. It will never be like the downtowns in other cities, nor does it need to be.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 22,039 times
I agree the Economy has a long way to go to be perfect, however it's doing great I'am seeing some new business moving here because of the rising economy. I do research on the economy as well as real estate here in the valley, and so far so good house prices are still cheap but are increasing gradually every month. The Listed price of the house I currently own went up 14% in just one month. I'm thinking of selling it when I think it's a good time to sell. Crime has gone down yes, but its not perfect like any huge city there will always be crime, it's just not as bad as it used to be. Im a clean freak and so far I'm satisfied with the cleanliness here. When I go out I do see street cleaners on the highways mostly around 11:00 pm, As for the heat Yes It's VERY HOT! But after a while it just becomes normal, well at least to me it does. The best places to live in THe valley would be Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, Gilbert, Scottsdale, North Valley, And Peoria. They are very clean very family oriented and actually quite pretty with the natural desert landscaping and the palm trees. Hope This Helps Out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area