U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM

28 posts, read 36,626 times
Question Kierland or N.Scottsdale for singles

Just wondering if anybody lives in the Kierland area or around there in n.Scottsdale, and how friendly is the area for younger singles? Not too interested in being around lots of older people or children. Seems there are some good places to eat and hang out around there. Is it pretty walkable to basic services like groceries? Any advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

13,945 posts, read 16,874,863 times
Not the most walkable areas for groceries, etc. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "north Scottsdale"-- some places would be within walking distance, but I'd say a majority would not be.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,167,681 times
First north Scottsdale is generally a large area. Down Shea is much different than say norther parts like Troon and DC Ranch for example. Id personally do Kierland, Desert Ridge or area around Shea and Scottsdale Rd. Walkable depends exactly where from and to, and knowing it will be 100+ at times, and just how far you like to walk. There are definitely parts that would put you in walking distance. Depending how inclined I was, I could walk to Kierland, Scottsdale Quarter, Promenade and Sonoran Village, or Mayo. I live by the Princess resort just up the street from Kierland. About just a little over a mile to Promenade where Trader Joes is.

Generally most places south of 101 put you walking distance to a decent amount of stuff. Once you get north of 101 and into even norther Scottsdale, not so much.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,479,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsjacob View Post
Just wondering if anybody lives in the Kierland area or around there in n.Scottsdale, and how friendly is the area for younger singles? Not too interested in being around lots of older people or children. Seems there are some good places to eat and hang out around there. Is it pretty walkable to basic services like groceries? Any advice? Thanks.
Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter both attract a younger crowd. Most of the shops, eateries, and bars over there are geared for more of the 20 and 30 somethings, but they tend to be on the pricey side. I think there are some midrise lofts which are more for the young singles as well, but you have to have money in order to live and shop around there. No WalMarts or 99 Cent Stores anywhere near there. And yes, Kierland itself is very walkable. Not sure about walkable trips to grocery stores ... you might have to drive or take a bus to those things.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,167,681 times
There is Safeway and Frys at Greenway and 64th which would be a doable walk when its under 110 from Kierland. Trader Joes maybe even Whole Foods at Mayo would not be impossible if you are young and like to walk, tho there are buses on Scottsdale and Greenway if the walk home would be a little long carrying groceries.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:28 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,479,701 times
I know the Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter restaurant, bar, and shopping scene are more for the younger crowd, but I can't see too many young singles residing around there unless they are somewhat on the wealthy side. I think the lofts and some of the other residences there are more formatted for the upwardly mobile types who have higher paying jobs. They might be single, but somewhat older than the 20 somethings. Then again, with real estate prices being unusually cheap right now, there might be some good deals on apartments, condos, or lofts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area