Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,663 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'll be moving to Phoenix this July for residency and will be spending most of my time at Banner Good Sam and Phoenix Children's. Really excited, it's been a dream of mine for a while to live in the valley!

Anyway, I've been pretty headstrong about living close to work. I really dig the idea of being in one of the downtown historic districts like Willo, Roosevelt, Coronado or Encanto. Ideally, it would be nice to be close enough to bike to work, be close to downtown and even to catch the light rail into Tempe. I really love the idea of being in an urban setting while still maintaining some of the amenities of a detached home and yard (I have a big dog).

All along the way, however, I feel like I've been hit with negativity and resistance. People keep telling me to look to Scottsdale or head out to suburbia, that the area around the hospital is not safe, that the city is not that maneuverable, etc. It seems like lots of these people giving me these recommendations have only been in Phoenix for a short time and may have very different priorities than me, so I'd love to hear input from some long time Phoenix residents.

What do you think? Are their claims unfounded? Do they have some truth to them? Am I looking at things the wrong way?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
They be crazy. If I was single/childless/or had the cashola for private school, I would want to live where you are looking.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
they have a little truth to them, in that most people see the downtown area of Phoenix, and to a greater extent the area immediately west of downtown, as fairly seedy.

For a long time, the east-west running Van Buren St, which was the main route through Phoenix back in the Rt 66 days, had a terrible reputation for by-the-hour motels and streetwalkers.

Good Sam is at 12st and McDowell... the area is pretty low-income, which is why people are recommending areas in the north east valley to you.

Most people aren't willing to put up with the ancillary problems that go along with living in an older neighborhood. The willow, garfield, and roosevelt historic districts are beautiful, and I love the older, bigger, lots and houses - but you still have to shop somewhere for groceries. The problem is that you're surrounded by Van Buren St, Mcdowell Road, Grand Avenue, and several very large housing projects, walk-in clinics, homeless shelters, and liquor stores.

I for sure would not put my kids in the local schools.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
When I moved here I rented downtown and we liked it enough that we just recently bought in the Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District.

There is no way that I could ever put up with all the traffic and driving that comes with living in the 'burbs and I like the character that comes with older homes and neighborhoods. I actually have been riding my bike to work lately and love it.

People in Phoenix often make uneducated generalizations about the older historic district homes but clearly they have not been around much. For example:

Quote:
but you still have to shop somewhere for groceries.
I have a Safeway and Bashas both within 2 miles of my home. Often times I even ride my bike there.

and:

Quote:
you're surrounded by Van Buren St, Mcdowell Road, Grand Avenue, and several very large housing projects, walk-in clinics, homeless shelters, and liquor stores.
What do you mean by "surrounded by"? I live right near McDowell and I see more doctor's offices, lawyer's offices, boutiques, and restaurants than "very large housing projects", "walk-in clinics" and "homeless shelters." Where are you getting this crazy-talk from? Have you ever been on West McDowell in Phoenix? There are certainly liquor stores within a few miles of my home but that just makes it more convenient for me!

Also, people always talk about how high maintenance old homes require. Certainly some older homes are high maintenance but if you're not Tim the Tool Man Taylor then don't buy that one. My home is over 80 years old, has been well maintained, has a new roof, new appliances, and new AC units. I have nothing to worry about. Honestly I'd be more worried about these low quality new stucco boxes that sprung up overnight with their Chinese drywall, etc.

People also rant and rave about how high the crime is - crime happens everywhere, even in the 'burbs. I have a security system and am not concerned.

People also talk about the bad schools. I don't have kids so it's not a concern for me, and even if I did have kids there are plenty of excellent public and private options in the area.

Anyway I think you're on the right track. I think if you check out the historic districts you will fall in love with them not only for their character and charm, but especially for their convenience.

Last edited by nickw252; 03-29-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
Default Here is some info on the historic districts:

City of Phoenix website with maps of all districts:

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Willo is one of the largest in Phoenix. It's very well kept with a wide variety of homes and architectural style ranging in price from about $150,000 to $1 Million or more in the current market.

Willo Historic District, Downtown Phoenix, Home Tour, Historic

Encanto-Palmcroft surrounds Encanto Park and Golf Course (A Phoenix Point of Pride). The homes range from about $300,000 to $2,000,000 in the current market.

Encanto-Palmcroft Historic Preservation Association | Phoenix, Arizona

PHOENIX PARKS AND RECREATION ENCANTO PARK

Roosevelt is another large and better known one. I believe it contains some of Phoenix's oldest homes. I'm not especially familiar with it but I've driven through and it seems very charming.

Roosevelt Neighborhood

There are many other historic districts, some very small but they are all worth looking into. You will see various different ages of homes and a great variety of architecture (no snout-houses or stucco McMansions ).

Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
you could walk from Coronado to Trader Joe's in about 35 minutes, or an easy bike rd. Remember, there is a difference between Midtown and Downtown.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Stay downtown and close to light rail. The suburbanites have no clue what they are missing and truthfully, they don't deserve to. There is an exciting, vibrant crowd downtown. It is not a dangerous place except in the minds of people who never go. Look downtown, live downtown. you'll love it.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
do what you want to do

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,698 times
Yes, these are people who fly through these neighborhoods, give them a glance and think they know exactly what goes on here and they want no part of it. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I take great offense! I grew up near downtown Phx and it just has a certain charm that I find is lacking out in the burbs. I had some friends who lived out in North Phoenix who would adamantly REFUSE to go south of Glendale Ave, especially after dark. I tried to get them to come hang out with me at first friday and they would always say no and comment about the crime. And then another friend of theirs took them to 1st friday and they were shocked that all that was going on in downtown Phoenix!

Sure, there is crime, sure there are some liquor stores (yes, convenient!!), sure some billboards are en español but there are also great stores, convenient access to all freeways, the lightrail, an eclectic & diverse mix of people and great historic neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
You've received some excellent advice from these posters. I would only add that, generally, the cost per square foot will be high, the houses small, the lots large, and if you are going to deal with putting kids in school, consider carefully. The public schools in the downtown area are not considered to be acceptable to most of the people who can afford the nicer homes in the areas you describe, which is evident from the high numbers of their kids enrolled in private schools.

Welcome to Phoenix, Doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area