Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Former CEO of Intel, Craig Barrett, said that Intel would not have located plants here if the education funding situation then had been what it is now. Goes to show how important a good public education system is to major employers and how slashing it is bad for business and bad for the future of our state. Barrett's comments were echoed by several executives of leading Arizona businesses. I hope Gov. Brewer and the legislature are paying attention.

Read more:http://www.azcentral.com/news/electi...intel-ceo.html

Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I don't believe it.
First of all many factors come into play when a major company is looking at relocating such as the projected wages they could expect to pay and the housing costs that employees would have that would affect wages.
Wages in AZ and the costs of housing are down in this state and the numbers of employees ready and willing to work for less is up.
All things that corporate America looks at.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM

523 posts, read 937,112 times
I agree with how important it is for us to be thinking about what our lack of education funding says to employers. If families don't want to be here, it is going to directly impact whether employers will want to establish themselves here. Fortunately Intel was here before as the story indicates, otherwise Arizona would have been glosses over for another state (likely nearby) state.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Barrett, who said he was not speaking for the company, made his remarks at a board meeting of the newly created Arizona Commerce Authority, the quasi-public agency that replaced the state's Department of Commerce.
Barrett said if Intel were starting anew, Arizona likely wouldn't be in the running for its business.
"I hate to say it, but I think Arizona would not be in the top 10 locales to make that investment," he said.

Speaking for himself only and saying "likely wouldn't" isn't a slam dunk. Your post is misleading. At least you did post the link so folks can read for themselves.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I don't believe it.
First of all many factors come into play when a major company is looking at relocating such as the projected wages they could expect to pay and the housing costs that employees would have that would affect wages.
Wages in AZ and the costs of housing are down in this state and the numbers of employees ready and willing to work for less is up.
All things that corporate America looks at.
Umm... costs of doing business aren't everything. Phoenix has a relatively low level of people with Bachelor's attainment (see link below) and public education here isn't exactly a point of pride. I've also heard ease of getting to/from work, crime, image, etc. can affect a company's decision to open up shop in a city. Sunny weather and low costs aren't enough to attract businesses en masse.

Interactive: State of Metropolitan America Indicator Map - Brookings Institution - State of Metropolitan America - Brookings Institution

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
We hear the same thing from Microsoft up here in Seattle. Our education sucks and there aren't enough qualified locals to fill available jobs.

Maybe the product produced at U.S. schools isn't what it needs to be. I'll bet more spending would fix that, right?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I attended a Arizona business conference many years ago where Barrett was the keynote speaker. He talked about how important quality education was to Intel. He explained Intel's efforts in Arizona including how they were funding programs at the universities and even a high school in Chandler as I recall.

Education matters. It is huge, people. You can grasp your wallet and slip into denial, but unless AZ improves its public education system and reputation for being last the party is over. It is not just business leaders who say this. Virtually every one moving here who posts on the forum wants to know where the good schools are. We are just shooting ourselves in the foot by cutting investments (yes INVESTMENTS) in education in this state.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM

183 posts, read 549,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Umm... costs of doing business aren't everything. Phoenix has a relatively low level of people with Bachelor's attainment (see link below) and public education here isn't exactly a point of pride. I've also heard ease of getting to/from work, crime, image, etc. can affect a company's decision to open up shop in a city. Sunny weather and low costs aren't enough to attract businesses en masse.

Interactive: State of Metropolitan America Indicator Map - Brookings Institution - State of Metropolitan America - Brookings Institution
While I agree, these numbers can be misleading. It shows a higher percentage in Phoenix than Phoenix metro. I guess it could lead one to believe that the rural people ain't as edumacated.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:50 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
He's retired, and the woman they quoted runs a call center. Barett also stated they probably wouldn't locate anywhere in the US, and that would include places that spend 18000 per student and have worse problems than us. Making students show up on time, and remove their earphones wouldn't cost a Dime.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Education is huge - AZ imports a lot of talent, but really doesn't produce a ton when it comes to the better white collar jobs

It's difficult because as a newer metro they don't have the legacy of these firms

Also, it's not just the public education system - it's the total .... within 3 hours of the phoenix metro you have 2 elite universities and both are pretty specialized (embry riddle & thunderbird)

I know first hand how difficult it is to find workers for certain kinds of jobs and some of the local candidates I've interviewed have been just horrible (some have been wonderful though)

Now there are a lot of decisions that can go into placement - however, education is important not only for having workers who can fill jobs at this corporations but also recognizing that people who've attained enough corporate success to make such a decision often value education and frequently have families .... the people they want to entice have the same considerations .... it's hard to draw people with options to an area where you know the schooling choices are very poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area