U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM

629 posts, read 314,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
I'm trying my best to get people to move out there with us!!! The four of us is a good start. I'll have to start working on my daughter. EVERYONE here complains about the weather, literally everyone I know. But no one ever does anything about it. When I tell people that I'm moving to Scottsdale, they look at me like I have three eyes and say "just like that?". Yup, I'm tired of complaining about the weather.

I always felt inferior because I didn't have a degree, so I went back to school and got my batchelor's degree (just finished 2.5 years ago). I didn't like being fat, so I joined Weight Watchers and lost all the weight. The last piece of the puzzle is that I hate the climate in Syracuse, so, guess what?? I'm outta here!!!

My advice for those people who are unhappy living in AZ, is to customize your life to be what you want it to be and never settle for less. If you want something bad enough, do it and quit complaining.
I lived in AZ for 10 years and it's like everything else, there's good and there's bad. I certainly wouldn't buy a single family home in Phoenix right now (I do own one in the East Valley) but that's my personal opinion. I understand where you're coming from about customizing your life but that's hard to do when it's constantly between 102-110 degrees in the summer. If you like the outdoors, you can forget about it in the summer. Also there's a whole different social dynamic in Phoenix (and the west coast in general), be prepared to deal with personal competition (for no reason) and the "better than you" attitude.

I liked Phoenix but left late last year because of the political climate. The final straw was when I was in Barnes and Noble and a guy walks in with a holstered gun, just because it was "his constitutional right" (I asked him and that was his answer). No place is perfect and I did enjoy 9 out of my 10 years in Phoenix. I wish you the best but keep in mind that it might be easy to get into a house but Phoenix is still losing people so it's not easy to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 AM

344 posts, read 310,950 times
The deals are in single family but we bought in a 55 plus.

We could have saved 100k buying single family but there are many investors buying in those areas, I worry. Single family are great but my perception is that investors bought up the place during the boom and now investors are buying the same homes during the depression.

I don't want to live in neighborhoods where an out of state investor rents the house out and just breaks even. My fear is that down the road, when hoa's are due or roofs, fences, yards, vehicles need fixing, can my neighbors afford it?

The sunshine is still a big draw. However, we're snowbirds so my opinion doesn't really count as we dont live here during the summer. But we survive 30 below winders so we could survive 110 above. Not much difference.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM

174 posts, read 152,912 times
Default Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
To be honest.... If i have 200K cash in the bank i wouldn't live any where near a neighborhood that i only have to pay $500 and some in monthly rent..... Oh well
I agree. It's the same everywhere. I'm sure many of you will disagree, but before I commit to a rental, I will check out the cars in the parking lot.......sorry, but it DOES tell a lot about the clientele. You get what you pay for (as always, with some exceptions). Why do you think some people pay MORE for a house/apartment?? It's all about the neighborhood. If it wasn't, everyone would be paying $500 for an apartment. People pay good money for a reason.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM

523 posts, read 525,916 times
I read the story yesterday and it discusses the problems we continue to struggle with in the Valley. As I had mentioned several months ago, prices have a way to fall, and they have been doing so.

Here is further information from the MLS regarding the price decline which is associated with the empty houses discussed in the story: http://www.armls.com/Libraries/STAT_...2011.sflb.ashx

Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,345,263 times
This is an excerpt from The Cromford Report of March 3.

Quote:
"Currently the trend is for supply to fall further and demand to increase,
and if this continues then at some point it is likely to lead to prices moving higher.
How soon and how much, it is too early to say.

However it is not too early to say that prices are unlikely to fall to any significant degree while this situation persists.

Last year the disappearance of the tax credit at the end of April caused the market to deteriorate suddenly in May and pricing fell sharply between July and September.

At the moment we see no indication of a similar interruption to the recovery process that is now under way."

Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,617,302 times
Property taxes will drive house prices down even further as they continue to stay high (even with the recent reduction they did not do down as much as house values) and people will get like the English did before Thatcher, they will not maintain their homes anymore. I recall a $85,000 house with taxes of $25,000 a year.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM

406 posts, read 554,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
As I had mentioned several months ago, prices have a way to fall, and they have been doing so.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. IF they do fall more it will be a very small percent. I believe we're playing in the bottom now.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM

523 posts, read 525,916 times
The government is really tightening up on mortgages and it is a permanent change. As indicated in the pending price index listed above, the frightful truth is we have a significant drop ahead of us. The market is no longer going to be propped up by the government.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

406 posts, read 554,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
The government is really tightening up on mortgages and it is a permanent change. As indicated in the pending price index listed above, the frightful truth is we have a significant drop ahead of us. The market is no longer going to be propped up by the government.
I can't imagine homes going lower than $35 per square foot. If this keeps up we'll be getting money given to us at closing, interesting times.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM

234 posts, read 395,414 times
My mothers home was robbed, they found all the stuff the robber did not want, in the foreclosed house next door, along with hypodermic needles, meth pipe, and crack paraphernalia. My mother was friends with the people who lived there before, and knew it was a foreclosed house, quite coincidental, a few days later, the ppl across from her are directly 2 sleazy people into the back yard of the house! After contacting authorities, NOTHING happened, they didn't even stop by to check it out! a few weeks later, a home which my mother rarely leaves, only to visit the library to use the internet, she comes back to find her place trashed, and traces of her belongings trailing to the house next door. Police said, they wont find who did it, even though there was EYE WITNESSES watching this man hop the fence from the foreclosed house into my mothers, then leaving frantically with purses and filled backpacks. My mother is not wealthy, she is the type that moved out here after she already gave up her worldly possessions. She had an old tv, and a bunch of worthless items she randomly picked up from good will, and the most valuable was a few pieces of gold jewelery. The robber managed to take these things, after taking a shovel from the back yard, and smashing it several times into the patio french doors, from what the neighbors said, "he was at that door smashing for at least 5 mins before he even got in. Took the cops over an hour to arrive.
The people that will occupy these foreclosed homes are not renters that have passed a back round check, or been cleared not to be sex offenders, seeing as my mother lived, RIGHT ACROSS FROM A ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! The PD needs to get a better grip on this, it is a very aggravating subject for me, because it is one thing for your neighbors to be crummy, it is another when you have potential criminals, that can squat house to house, making it impossible to ever locate them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area