Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times

Advertisements

Final tidbit: Since I am remotely familiar with the area, I already have put together a list that will stay in my purse with addresses and stuff to remind me where things I need are at until I memorize it. Ie grocery stores, malls, restaurants I liked, hospital, movie theaters and so on. (Still need to find BMV and a post office for my list.) I may invest in a map, but most of the stuff I can find without one being almost semi-familiar with the roads--->or google/mapquest will be my best friend for a while (ie once off the main EW/NS roads I am in unknown territory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Final tidbit: Since I am remotely familiar with the area, I already have put together a list that will stay in my purse with addresses and stuff to remind me where things I need are at until I memorize it. Ie grocery stores, malls, restaurants I liked, hospital, movie theaters and so on. (Still need to find BMV and a post office for my list.) I may invest in a map, but most of the stuff I can find without one being almost semi-familiar with the roads--->or google/mapquest will be my best friend for a while (ie once off the main EW/NS roads I am in unknown territory).
Are you talking about a dept of motor vehicle? There's one practically across the street (Scottsdale rd) from you.

Scottsdale
7339 E. Paradise Ln.
Scottsdale

It's basically Scottsdale rd and Paradise Lane (which is just south of Frank Lloyd Wright/Bell)

Last edited by sablebaby; 08-10-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks! By BMV I meant the place I have to go to transfer my drivers license and car registration (and pay the tax) to Arizona. If that is what you listed and it is that close, much better. Another one for my list....

Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Remember, making an appointment (if this is not a last minute thing) online could save you a lot of waiting time!!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the tip! Up here they dont take appointments at our license places.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! Up here they dont take appointments at our license places.
Uh, that is odd, I though all DMV locations accepted appointments for common and for some not-so-common transactions...bummer.

Ok, here is another tip, avoid lunch time visits as most working people will try to go there Between 11am and 2pm.
What I find as the best time to go is either right when they open up or right before they close. Even if there are people, since they are closing, they will speed up (for a change)...lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM

At our BMV in Ohio, they treat you like you are deli meat lol! Where you have to take one of those number pull-tab thingies and they call out your number.

Will be a good excuse to take a day off work or go in late the second week I am there and I will go early in the day if I can get an appointment. ;0

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Hi all! I have been reading around here for a couple weeks and there seem to be some great people. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and learn everything I can about the area. My job is relocating me to Scottsdale in September (our office is by Fashion Square) from Cleveland, Ohio.

I have been to Scottsdale numerous times-in all the seasons except winter. For some reason they left me in the Cleveland office in winter or would ask me to go places like Ontario (Canada) in February lol! I already know the people in the Scottsdale office I will be working with very well. I will be doing the exact same job I do in Cleveland, working with the exact same people-->so zero job stress other than I get to do it from a place where it DOESNT SNOW!

I have family in Scottsdale. My sister lives off Greenway near Kierland and has been in Scottsdale for about 20 years. My niece just moved out last month from Wisconsin and is temporarily staying with my sister until she gets acclimated. My other sister is a short flight or day trip away (Vegas).

Having been out there, I knew I wanted to a) avoid a nasty commute (aka anything requiring any highway between the hours of sunrise and sunset) and b) rent at least for the first year or 2 until I get more familiar and perhaps venture out farther to places like Chandler or Gilbert and c) live somewhere in the area I was familiar with so I could find my way between my sister's and my job (in general a square of Camelback on the South, Frank Lloyd Wright or 101 on the North, Scottsdale Rd on the East and Tatum on the West). So I came out already with a list of about a dozen places to look at that I knew I could find. (That most of the main roads in that part of town are essentially straight lines was immensely helpful lol!)

I was out last week to look at the places. As I already had my list, I was the proud applicant of the place I will live by noon on the first day lol! They called yesterday and I am good to move in anytime after August 10 (I wanted a Unit with a garage and they only had one, but could only hold it 14 days). Even tho I physically wont be there until September 1 lol!

I chose Desert Club off Scottsdale Rd. I hope I made a good choice. If not, I can always move again in a year. I liked it because a) close to my sister and b) a straight shot about 10 miles down Scottsdale Rd to work (sufficient time for morning coffee and breakfast sandwich lol!). Near shopping, stores, etc. The Zip is technically Phoenix I think.

I already know the following: a) she who buys a new car 1 month before moving is going to get socked on the Vehicle registration b) it is hot during the summer c) it is dusty d) have gloves to drive with in the summer e) your car battery may randomly blow up from the extreme weather f) monsoon season=HOT, humidity, sun, clouds, dust, rain. rinse, wash, repeat for a few months. g) watch for critters such as scorpions and snakes h) no daylight savings time i) most of the cacti bloom feb-april and it is very pretty and j) being semi-fluent in 2 languages is helpful and k) I DONT NEED THE SNOW SHOVEL....

Any sage advice or just general area info much appreciated.

You got it all......Sounds like your excited and you will love it. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Uh, that is odd, I though all DMV locations accepted appointments for common and for some not-so-common transactions...bummer.

Ok, here is another tip, avoid lunch time visits as most working people will try to go there Between 11am and 2pm.
What I find as the best time to go is either right when they open up or right before they close. Even if there are people, since they are closing, they will speed up (for a change)...lol.

Yep 4:45 10 more people come out of the back and get everyone out of there quickly. That has been my experience. What do these people in the back do during the day

Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
At our BMV in Ohio, they treat you like you are deli meat lol! Where you have to take one of those number pull-tab thingies and they call out your number.

Will be a good excuse to take a day off work or go in late the second week I am there and I will go early in the day if I can get an appointment. ;0
No, that is how they treat us here, too. I didn't know anything about appointments until my bf got one the other day for an inspection. I thought "huh??" Otherwise, MOST will take a number and wait. The one that I pointed you to is a big one and there are a different set of numbers for different transactions, it will go a bit quicker than in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area