Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

It's funny how this forum has changed for the better. I remember 2 years ago, you had so many people saying how violent this city was or always commented about the crime being a negative of this city.There is definitely crime here just like in all major cities but I always felt the relatively low level of crime compared to other large metros was one of the positives of this city.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listed View Post
Ha... so true.. if your looking for the under 30 crowd, I would stay in old town Scottsdale and hit the clubs and bars. If your looking for a more mature crowd and upscale shopping look in the "kierland commons area" you will find much more upscale bars and restaurants as well as shopping.
Agreed, but DC Ranch in North Scottsdale and the Biltmore area in central Phoenix also have nice lounges and bars. And downtown isn't completely devoid of fun places. Cibo in downtown is a lot of fun as well Bianco.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed, but DC Ranch in North Scottsdale and the Biltmore area in central Phoenix also have nice lounges and bars. And downtown isn't completely devoid of fun places. Cibo in downtown is a lot of fun as well Bianco.
Yes, there are some attractions and it certainly is better than it used to be. I do think someone from Europe would find it falls far short of what they imagined the downtown of a large US city would be like though. But for safety, it is very safe as downtowns go and probably safer than the outlying areas of many cities as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 58,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ah, I forgot about DC Ranch.. I may have to get up there this weekend...

If you want to see our "downtown" I recommend checking out the "compass room" in downtown phoenix. It's restaurant on the 25th floor of a hotel that has floor to ceiling windows and spins around. It'll give a pretty nice view of phoenix metro. It looks pretty cool I think. However, their food is meh... I would eat at Marleys right below then go up there for a couple drinks..

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,742 times
There is a map you can check for reported incidents:

Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com

Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, there are some attractions and it certainly is better than it used to be. I do think someone from Europe would find it falls far short of what they imagined the downtown of a large US city would be like though. But for safety, it is very safe as downtowns go and probably safer than the outlying areas of many cities as well.
But you guys are right though, it's pretty dead. I think it will improve and it has improved tremendously in the last 3 years. The reason I think it will improve this time around is because they got ASU involved and creating a student presence there will lead to more night life. I could be wrong but I think some of the programs there are still in their early stages so I think the student population could be even larger there in the coming years.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track and field lover View Post
Can it really be that much crime in Phoenix? I have also been to New Orleans and during the time of my visit the city had the highest US rates of murders per 100,000 inhabitants and was ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Despite this I didn't feel that it was very uncomfortable in places like canal street, rampart or magazine street, at least not during daylight.
In all fairness, the places you mentioned are very touristy and well-protected. New Orleans needs to keep those parts of town safer, otherwise tourists would be less inclined to go. In sum: safeguarding its attractions is an investment in tourist dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The most serious threat you will have in downtown Phoenix is dying of boredom. There is very little to do and see there after the sun goes down. Even the gangsters stay somewhere else. I'd recommend a fancy resort in Scottsdale.
I would have to agree with this comment. Phoenix really didn't get into the Downtown Renaissance craze at the same time as other cities, and it shows. If you come expecting something on par with Portland, Denver, Chicago, New York, etc., you will be sorely disappointed. That being said, I've never had a problem in that area late at night, but Downtown Phoenix goes to sleep fairly early. A former German exchange student that stayed with us returned with her family a few years after she first came here and they all wanted to see Downtown Phoenix... but seemed to be bored to tears after a little bit of time there.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
It's not dangerous. Certain areas near downtown are not great, but downtown is very well patrolled.

If you are coming for tourism and shopping, Scottsdale is probably going to be a lot more fun for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM

932 posts, read 1,962,902 times
I'm a teenager and I can teel you downtown is a great place. I can find fun things to do to last an entire day and I can't even go in the bars or clubs yet. Downtown isn't dangerous but some areas to the south are a little seedy and so-so. Over all it's a very cultured, fun, and urban enviroment to be in. Granted it hasn't taken off like the downtown's of the late 90s and 2000s have (Denver, San Diego, Atlanta) but it's building it's foundation for our next high-rise and urban population boom.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
I live just north of downtown in the "Central Corridor" not dangerous with many nice neighborhoods - including multi million dollar homes - even in this market.
This area is one of the Valley's best kept secrets.
I always get a chuckle from people who think they must live on the Valley fringes or Scottsdale.
Well to each their own - but no downtown Phoenix is not dangerous.
LOL there are sections of Mesa that could fit the description better than downtown Phoenix ever could.
And of course Maryvale....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area