Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times

Advertisements

I noticed countless Swedes at the beaches in Thailand. Phoenix is far cheaper than Hua Hin, for example. People can say what they want to about downtown Phoenix, but the bottom line is what is there that you CAN'T do Downtown, that you could 15 miles farther out? Another item that will seem a bit peculiar to you is that you (and many others) have never seen areas that are almost brand new, be filled with low-lifes. So don't be fooled by an abundance of new homes. Some of those areas have suffered the worst in the downturn, as far as demographics. There is a gritty element Downtown, just like any other large city--but it is quite mild compared to most. You made an interesting list of cities in your OP. DC, Baltimore, Philly, SF, Oakland, Chicago have large areas, where a sane person wouldn't be in broad daylight. I've been here in Mid-town for four months, and haven't heard a single gunshot. Some kid lit a firecracker one afternoon, and there were cops here within 2 minutes. I think they are using one of those highly sophisticated systems to determine where gunfire is coming from. Single family home lots are generally bigger here than they would be in the newer areas. If gas was 1 Dollar a gallon (1998) then living outside the city would be way more attractive. But, driving has gotten very expensive, and the bus system is not good for longer trips.....

Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I noticed countless Swedes at the beaches in Thailand. Phoenix is far cheaper than Hua Hin, for example. People can say what they want to about downtown Phoenix, but the bottom line is what is there that you CAN'T do Downtown, that you could 15 miles farther out? Another item that will seem a bit peculiar to you is that you (and many others) have never seen areas that are almost brand new, be filled with low-lifes. So don't be fooled by an abundance of new homes. Some of those areas have suffered the worst in the downturn, as far as demographics. There is a gritty element Downtown, just like any other large city--but it is quite mild compared to most. You made an interesting list of cities in your OP. DC, Baltimore, Philly, SF, Oakland, Chicago have large areas, where a sane person wouldn't be in broad daylight. I've been here in Mid-town for four months, and haven't heard a single gunshot. Some kid lit a firecracker one afternoon, and there were cops here within 2 minutes. I think they are using one of those highly sophisticated systems to determine where gunfire is coming from. Single family home lots are generally bigger here than they would be in the newer areas. If gas was 1 Dollar a gallon (1998) then living outside the city would be way more attractive. But, driving has gotten very expensive, and the bus system is not good for longer trips.....
I think HX_guy made a good point. There are things to do downtown, but it seems like there is no one there doing them. It's busy and entertaining to some degree during the day and during sports events, but at night or when the game ends, everyone leaves. To have a vibrant downtown, you need people who live there, shop there, go to church and school there. The outlying areas have all that and downtown does not (yet). That is why the dullest of exurbs can seem so much more lively than downtown to people who come from the exurb to visit.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I wonder how many people who keep saying there is absolutely nothing to do downtown have actually BEEN downtown in the past 1-2 years.

I would also like to know what they would consider as "something to do" that other places in Phoenix offer and downtown doesn't.

There are clubs, lounges, wine bars, a ton of restaurants, sports bars, an awesome hip bowling alley/lounge, retail stores, movie theatre, museums, shows/theatre

You've got a good point there, but I am comparing it downtown Chicago (which has tons of everything) and Phoenix looks pretty measly entertainment-wise compared. However, there ARE things that are fun to do down there, cause I'm going there all the time it seems. Between the 7's is the most fun place in the city to me.* Some really good mom and pop restaurants, the art museum (natch!) and that's where all the cool junk/thrift stores are. There are probably tons of things for younger people there. I'm just listing things the geezers enjoy...ha!

*Area in central Phoenix between 7th st. and 7th ave. for those not from here.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 04-12-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I walked from 7th Ave and Washington to Chase Field and back today, around the noon hour. It was nice to see people sitting outside having lunch at all the CityScape places. (and lines to eat at 5 Guys--- I was going to try it, but didn't want to wait).

Walking along Washington, with the CityScape tower on one side and the older highrises on the other, you get just a hint of what you feel in other major cities with denser downtowns... that "canyon" sensation of tall buildings on both sides and shade (total or partial) on both sidewalks. Very nice. It is such a radical change from the downtown I remember from 30 years ago.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Downtown has cleaned up its act a lot in the last 5 years or so. But I still would not recommend walking around in the late hours of the night. It is still pretty rough, especially if you are not from the area. The downtown I recall is full of, middle aged yuppsters drinking at an outdoor sports bar, college kids milling around, and crack heads trying to mooch off your wallet to get their next fix. Have you thought about Tempe? It is about the same price, and seems more your speed.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:31 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Downtown is very safe at night because there is nobody around. The working people have gone home to their cookie-cutter homes in the far-reaching suburbs. Not even the homeless can find anything to do, or anybody to panhandle.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Again, there is plenty to do. The problem is there are no people to do them.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM

54 posts, read 188,075 times
Thanks for all the replies! Maybe I dare going to Phoenix then after all =)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM

81 posts, read 230,534 times
I think you'll love Phoenix. I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area