Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,887,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I hope you are right. The problem is it is what U.S. Airways was saying too, and they just left. First Solar was going to leave, until we gave them $50 million of our tax dollars to stay. Now we are closing schools because we are out of tax money.
US Airways left?!? Where did they go? /sarcasm.

And do people not understand how these tax breaks work?

You say First Solar was going to leave until we gave them $50M to stay. No, we didn't give them $50M to stay...they don't have to pay the $50M, there is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,210,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
US Airways has not GONE ANYWHERE. What ARE you talking about? Tax incentives for businesses are not limited to Arizona.

Schools are closing in large part due to declining enrollment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
US Airways left?!? Where did they go? /sarcasm.

This is my fault. I started that inflammatory thread suggesting U.S. Airways would merge with American Airlines based in part on rumor and personal conjecture. I apologize to the forum. There is absolutely no concrete evidence or any truth to that whatsoever. I truly regret posting that thread seeing as it has caused confusion and led some to use that as an additional tool in their agenda to besmirch the Valley.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 PM

523 posts, read 933,664 times
Quote:
US Airways has not GONE ANYWHERE. What ARE you talking about? Tax incentives for businesses are not limited to Arizona.

Schools are closing in large part due to declining enrollment.
U.S. Airways is leaving the Phoenix area. Did you not see the news?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,887,407 times
Quote:
Show us a link.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Show us a link.
IS leaving?? Yes, let's see that link, please. If true, that would have been emblazoned on every news site, certainly local ones. Haven't seen any such thing. I know you want to make things here look as bleak as possible, but posting blatant falsehoods is something else again.

On the original topic, the Legislature has adjourned, and since I haven't seen that there was an override, the veto stands.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 PM

523 posts, read 933,664 times
Quote:
IS leaving?? Yes, let's see that link, please. If true, that would have been emblazoned on every news site, certainly local ones. Haven't seen any such thing. I know you want to make things here look as bleak as possible, but posting blatant falsehoods is something else again.

On the original topic, the Legislature has adjourned, and since I haven't seen that there was an override, the veto stands.
US Airways CEO wants to be ready for a merger | Reuters

They are leave Phoenix and moving everything to Dallas. Google US Airways merger for more information.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,134,075 times
Quote:

They are leave Phoenix and moving everything to Dallas. Google US Airways merger for more information.
I agree. There is some strong and irrefutable language in that article. Not only does the US Airways CEO say that he wants to be a strong, stand alone carrier and still be open to merge with another major carrier. He even went so far as to reference the position that continental was in prior to it's merger with united.

I know he probably meant to come out and say that the deal was not only done with full governmental approval but he will be abandoning phoenix as soon as possible and moving everything to dallas.

We feel that this is due to CEO Parkers' DUI arrests in the greater Phoenix area and the more tolerant views to open alcohol in the metroplex.

Even though the headquarters will be in Chicago they will still keep some of the management level functions in Houston - such as their finance department.

One should also note that in the continential/united merger that the newly combined company was anticipated to cut it's global management by around 20% or 11,000 people. In Continentals home area of Houston they anticipated to cut 500 jobs from the 3,000 downtown workers (16%) or on a citywide measure 500 of 16,500 employees (3%).

16% is less than the 20% global impact which means that other areas are going to be impacted more - probably even chicago

As for the everyday employees working at the airport - they are surely packing bags to chicago

Quote:
Employees that passengers see, such as pilots, flight attendants, gate agents and others who work at the airport, will experience minimal job cuts, King said. A reservations center and customer care facility will remain in the Greenspoint area, King said.
Local business leaders and politicians are greatly distrubed by this move as evidenced by the captioned

Quote:
Late last month, Mayor Annise Parker also received the letter sent to the Texas Workforce Commission.

"This is not unexpected," Parker said. "However, we continue to believe that, in the end, Houston will have a net gain in jobs as a result of the Continental/United merger."

Greater Houston Partnership officials said they are hopeful the carrier will bring more flights to the city.

"We are pleased that George Bush Intercontinental Airport will be the largest hub of the world's largest airline. This foundation will allow us to grow jobs over time to make up for the initial losses," Partnership President and CEO Jeff Moseley said.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7417477.html

Some of the grim news many of us in the industry already know about. I don't know of any other good solutions, but I can see what you mean.

It's really at odds with trying to improve our quality of life ....... Continuing to work to try to improve this is very important.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:

Wow. You DO know how to post a link. Of course, the link doesn't say that they ARE going anywhere. Nice try, though. There was already a thread about the merger speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I agree. There is some strong and irrefutable language in that article. Not only does the US Airways CEO say that he wants to be a strong, stand alone carrier and still be open to merge with another major carrier. He even went so far as to reference the position that continental was in prior to it's merger with united.

I know he probably meant to come out and say that the deal was not only done with full governmental approval but he will be abandoning phoenix as soon as possible and moving everything to dallas.

We feel that this is due to CEO Parkers' DUI arrests in the greater Phoenix area and the more tolerant views to open alcohol in the metroplex.

Even though the headquarters will be in Chicago they will still keep some of the management level functions in Houston - such as their finance department.

One should also note that in the continential/united merger that the newly combined company was anticipated to cut it's global management by around 20% or 11,000 people. In Continentals home area of Houston they anticipated to cut 500 jobs from the 3,000 downtown workers (16%) or on a citywide measure 500 of 16,500 employees (3%).

16% is less than the 20% global impact which means that other areas are going to be impacted more - probably even chicago

As for the everyday employees working at the airport - they are surely packing bags to chicago

Local business leaders and politicians are greatly distrubed by this move as evidenced by the captioned

Continental to cut 500 downtown Houston jobs | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Some of the grim news many of us in the industry already know about. I don't know of any other good solutions, but I can see what you mean.

It's really at odds with trying to improve our quality of life ....... Continuing to work to try to improve this is very important.
Sounds familiar....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area