Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 26,716 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm pretty much decided that I'm moving to Queen's Creek. I'm originally from Southern California (OC). I moved to Austin with the impression from a friend that's living here that the job market was "great" out here. Well, 5 months later and still no full time job. Plus, it's INSANELY boring out here. I mean I am in my late 20s and I like to go out every now and then but I'm not that into partying and there's just nothing to do here. Anyways, my fiance has a guaranteed job in Casa Grande and I have a friend that's in Queen's Creek who we'll be staying with till we get settled. My question is basically about the job market as it pertains to me. I have 6+ years experience bartending and 8+ years experience in office jobs. How difficult of a time do you think I'd have finding a job out there. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Well, first of all, it's just QUEEN Creek. It's not a particularly exciting place, either, but the housing for you is free at first, so that's a plus. As far as the job market, things slow down a bit here in the summer in terms of restaurants/bars, etc. As far as office jobs, there's a lot of competition for those jobs, still-- it's hard to say what sort of luck you would have --it could depend on how long your friend is willing to extend the hospitality.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
Plus the drive from QC to Casa Grande is NOT a particularly easy one for your fiance every day. You may consider living in Casa Grande once you get some money and then visiting your friend on occassion rather than making your fiance make that drive every day. Plus the drive into Phx is about the same from Casa Grande as it is from Queen Creek, and there is definetely more work (bartending or otherwise) here in CG than in QC.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
But from what the OP writes, she's young, wants to go out a bit, and was bored in Austin. Queen Creek and Casa Grande will make her positively catatonic.

I'd suggest loving in south Chandler. The fiancée will still have a drive but little traffic If he goes the back way (not down rt 10). Plenty to do, and lots of restaurants and bars for you.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM

18 posts, read 31,051 times
Or living in South Chandler.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Maddox View Post
Hello, I'm pretty much decided that I'm moving to Queen's Creek. I'm originally from Southern California (OC). I moved to Austin with the impression from a friend that's living here that the job market was "great" out here. Well, 5 months later and still no full time job. Plus, it's INSANELY boring out here. I mean I am in my late 20s and I like to go out every now and then but I'm not that into partying and there's just nothing to do here. Anyways, my fiance has a guaranteed job in Casa Grande and I have a friend that's in Queen's Creek who we'll be staying with till we get settled. My question is basically about the job market as it pertains to me. I have 6+ years experience bartending and 8+ years experience in office jobs. How difficult of a time do you think I'd have finding a job out there. Thank you in advance for your help!!
All I can say is that if you found Austin to be "INSANELY boring," you will be miserable in Queen Creek or Casa Grande. Austin's a state capital and small metro area, while QC and Casa Grande are bedroom communities consisting of families with children and retirees. I have no stats to back it up, but I don't think either place is a mecca for 20-somethings.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM

205 posts, read 296,619 times
I am not from Phoenix but I was there in December. My realtor and I drove around a few places and one of them being Queen Creek. The place is pretty empty. I went to a Mexican fast food place (might be the only one) there and asked the teenager behind the counter what he does for fun there. He replied, "Nothing! If you don't have a car there is absolutely nothing to do but stay home and play the PS3." Basically you have to leave Queen Creek for any nightlife or fun. I didn't see a single bar there. There were a couple of pubs but I didn't stick around to see if they were busy at night. Queen Creek "might" be a decent play for snowbirds or retirees but if you're young you will be miserable.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodiman View Post
I am not from Phoenix but I was there in December. My realtor and I drove around a few places and one of them being Queen Creek. The place is pretty empty. I went to a Mexican fast food place (might be the only one) there and asked the teenager behind the counter what he does for fun there. He replied, "Nothing! If you don't have a car there is absolutely nothing to do but stay home and play the PS3." Basically you have to leave Queen Creek for any nightlife or fun. I didn't see a single bar there. There were a couple of pubs but I didn't stick around to see if they were busy at night. Queen Creek "might" be a decent play for snowbirds or retirees but if you're young you will be miserable.
It sounds as if you were driven through the old center of town, which was never really fixed up and redeveloped as the community grew. (It looks a bit shabby there, IMHO.) That is a stretch of just a few small blocks and does envelope a Mexican fast food place and a pub or two. However, there is a lot more to Queen Creek than that small section and many residents of the area seldom, if ever, go over to "that side of town". If you do a search through this forum on Queen Creek, you can find several past posts of mine where I link to various places in Queen Creek, (none of which are in the section I think you drove through), including shopping, restaurants, Schnepf's Farm, The QC Olive Mill, The QC Performing Arts Center, the new QC Equestrian Center, etc.

There are other pubs in QC, as well. I can't attest to the age range of their clientele or how busy they get, because they are not places I go, although one place is a restaurant/bar and whenever I pass they are crowded. There is outdoor seating available at that one and the tables always seem to be occupied; I always see people on the inside, as well. (I don't know if the people I've seen are there for food, drinks or both. I never paid that much attention.) I'm sure they all hire bartenders though.

There are some offices in QC too, but not all that many.

I do agree that one would be "up Queen Creek without a paddle" without a car, but I also think the same of many sections of the PHX metro area. While there are indeed things to do in QC, I highly doubt there would be much of interest for a 20-something, particularly one who finds a place like Austin dull.

OP: You do realize QC to Casa Grande is a good 45 min to 1 hour drive each way?

Between the length of the commute, the accompanying gasoline costs, wanting activities which may interest you nearby, and wanting a reasonable amount of bars/offices in close proximity to seek employmenet, I can say without hesitation: I think QC holds nothing for you - except, temporarily, a free place to use as a home base until you find an area which suits you better.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Let's put it this way, I have physician friends who have to do their 3 year rural medicine commitment to fulfill their scholarship obligation and Queen Creek qualifies!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Maddox View Post
Like others have have said, if you found Austin boring and couldn't find a job there in five months, you really aren't going to like the Phoenix area.

Austin is on my short list of places I'd love to live someday. I almost moved there for a job five years ago and it didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area