Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they stay or go?
It's fine with me if they go. 10 20.83%
I don't really care either way. 9 18.75%
I hope they stay. 29 60.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah. The deal that was cut yesterday seals it. 2 billion dollars for TV rights. The amount that Hulsizer wants from Glendale is only five percent of that. I would think the deal with NBC would be renegotiated for at least 5% less if they pull out the 12th largest (and growing as you state) US TV market.
Very true, they signed a 2 billion dollar deal with Versus and NBC. The 100 million is what Hulsizer would need to buy the team but it comes down to less than that; it's approximately 25 million they are fighting over at this point.

These television networks would probably demand money back in return should the NHL lose the 12th largest U.S. television market. The NHL is not going to let this tv market walk over 25 million let alone 100 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Standing outside in line waiting to buy a hockey ticket when its 115 degrees just doesn't make sense to me.

Someone mentioned a soccer team, now that makes more sense.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Standing outside in line waiting to buy a hockey ticket when its 115 degrees just doesn't make sense to me.
Hockey is a winter sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Someone mentioned a soccer team, now that makes more sense.
I wish

Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Hockey is a winter sport.

I wish
Why not both? Put a Major League Soccer team here too....but preferably in Tempe

Old 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I was surprised when the Jets moved here.

I'll be more surprised if they move back to Manitoba.

Ifya told me 20 years ago that L.A. and Phoenix would have hockey teams and L.A. wouldn't have a football team, I wooda laughed in your face.

funny how things work out......

Go Wings!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM

285 posts, read 785,232 times
Please, Hockey and Soccer are just not American sports no matter how much trendy soccer moms sip their lattes and discuss liberal politics. Hockey certainly never made any sense in the desert southwest. I say don't let the door hit them in the kiester and stop using public money to fund these speculative ventures.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Please, Hockey and Soccer are just not American sports no matter how much trendy soccer moms sip their lattes and discuss liberal politics. Hockey certainly never made any sense in the desert southwest. I say don't let the door hit them in the kiester and stop using public money to fund these speculative ventures.
Cubs, Dodgers, any spring training Cactus league team... All these teams got money from the public and they do not even cal Phoenix home. Only here for a month or so...

Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Hockey doesn't make sense in any warm weather climate let alone the desert southwest. It's not like hockey has been played for generations and there is a plethora of iced over lakes in L.A., Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Miami, Nashville and Dallas.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Hockey doesn't make sense in any warm weather climate let alone the desert southwest. It's not like hockey has been played for generations and there is a plethora of iced over lakes in L.A., Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Miami, Nashville and Dallas.

But there is a plethora of Northeasterners and Midwesterners that tend to be rabid hockey fans. Problem is, they prob'ly won't be going to local games unless their team is playing an away game in their new home town.

Anyway, I don't see many high schools in the Valley of the Sun crooning over their boys' hockey teams. Why? Cuz there aren't any......

Growing up in Michigan, hockey in the high schools and younger age leagues were prevalent. About as popular as football.

Just for the record, the Thrashers weren't Atlanta's first NHL team. The Flames moved to Calgary from Atlanta........

Old 04-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
But there is a plethora of Northeasterners and Midwesterners that tend to be rabid hockey fans. Problem is, they prob'ly won't be going to local games unless their team is playing an away game in their new home town.

Anyway, I don't see many high schools in the Valley of the Sun crooning over their boys' hockey teams. Why? Cuz there aren't any......

Growing up in Michigan, hockey in the high schools and younger age leagues were prevalent. About as popular as football.

Just for the record, the Thrashers weren't Atlanta's first NHL team. The Flames moved to Calgary from Atlanta........
We have a plethora of Midwesterners and Canadians here. How long have you lived here? I'm surprised to hear any Valley resident unaware of the large number of residents from Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Canada that reside here; they are all over the place, how could you miss them. In fact, there are probably more Canadians that live in the Valley than many of those previously mentioned cities. And those aforementioned teams are all struggling too with the exception of the Lightning, Kings and Stars. The Lightning won a Stanley Cup. And the Stars won two Stanley Cups and the Kings had Gretzky in the 90's and went to the Stanley Cup so their teams have had more success and money invested to earn their following. The Carolina team won a Stanley Cup and that team is struggling with attendance.

And there is high school hockey in the Valley in addition to leagues so I don't know where you are getting that boys' hockey doesn't exist here. Of course, you aren't going to have the same presence here that you would have in the upper midwest and northeast but that is true for all warm weather cities not just Phoenix.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-22-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area