Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
Since I'm not one to have people search for my apartment, I did some looking around the net, and can't some up with more than a misuse of funds investigation, and some comical photos that people are doing of him.
When you say what he's cost the taxpayers, doesn't the budget have to be approved?
Can he just grab more money and spend at will?
What I'm mainly referring to is that the county has had to pay huge (multimillion dollar)settlements in wrongful death cases involving inmates improperly handled by his minions. The misuse of funds investigation doesn't involve just pennies. There's other issues, but I'm not going to track them down and list them here. I could only hope that all this is the beginning of the end-- no way that Arpaio didn't know what his three underlings were doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The rest of the country thinks he's great because they only hear a small part of the whole story. They haven't heard, and frankly would not care, what he has cost the taxpayers of this county.
The rest of the country think he is a joke and he is one of the reasons that give our state a bad name. I think at one time he was nationally respected because he was considered to be an overzealous yet effective law enforcement agent. I remember him making appearances on Politically Incorrect in the late 1990's and many sympathized with him.

Things have changed since then. He has proven to be corrupt with regard to financial abuse, personal vendettas and abuse of inmates. He has showboated a bit too much with having reality television shows.

He is 79 years old so he doesn't have much time left. His time in office is severely limited and his health at some point is going to force him to retire.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Sad Sad Sad Situation . . .

It always amazes me how certain individuals are so quick to pounce on a "negative" or two, substantiated or not, while totally ignoring all of the POSITIVES Sheriff Joe has successfully rewarded the Legal and Law Abiding Citizens of Maricopa County over the years.

Ain't being perfect great?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sad Sad Sad Situation . . .

It always amazes me how certain individuals are so quick to pounce on a "negative" or two, substantiated or not, while totally ignoring all of the POSITIVES Sheriff Joe has successfully rewarded the Legal and Law Abiding Citizens of Maricopa County over the years.

Ain't being perfect great?
And it amazes me how certain individuals are loyal for loyalty's sake instead of judging someone based on their merits. It isn't one or two negatives. He has several negatives and this abuse of funds is very real. It is becoming more obvious that the Sheriff can do anything and a select number of his groupies will support him out of a misguided sense of loyalty.

To be honest, I wish we had a real Joe Arpaio meaning a tough Sheriff who enforced the laws and was busy doing his job. Instead, we have a person who portrays that image but in reality talks a great game, loves the camera and does little in reality. In other words, I want a doer not a talker

Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And it amazes me how certain individuals are loyal for loyalty's sake instead of judging someone based on their merits. It isn't one or two negatives. He has several negatives and this abuse of funds is very real. It is becoming more obvious that the Sheriff can do anything and a select number of his groupies will support him out of a misguided sense of loyalty.

To be honest, I wish we had a real Joe Arpaio meaning a tough Sheriff who enforced the laws and was busy doing his job. Instead, we have a person who portrays that image but in reality talks a great game, loves the camera and does little in reality. In other words, I want a doer not a talker
I'll be more than happy to trade our Do Nothing and Enforce Only The Laws He Approves Of Sheriff here in Pima County for Sheriff Joe any day.

Remember the recent horrible tragedy down here when our lovely Sheriff decided it was an appropriate time to make a Political "finger pointing" Speech even before the blood had dried or any facts had been gathered, let alone verified?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM

183 posts, read 550,015 times
Quote:
What I'm mainly referring to is that the county has had to pay huge (multimillion dollar)settlements in wrongful death cases involving inmates improperly handled by his minions.
It's amazing in AZ that the civil rights of criminals are still compensated for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

He is 79 years old so he doesn't have much time left. His time in office is severely limited and his health at some point is going to force him to retire.
I was going to point out that all of his elections have been won by a slimmer margin each time, but at 79, it sounds like he'll wander his corrupt ass off in the sunset this time, and enjoy his embezzled funds.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
The rest of the country thinks he's great because they only hear a small part of the whole story. They haven't heard, and frankly would not care, what he has cost the taxpayers of this county.
That reminds me of Jesse Ventura from MN. He was a disaster for MN yet he delivered some impressive sound bites. Embarrassingly, I voted for him when he was our Governor. He was always out for himself but at least he didn't embezzle $'s from the state.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I'll be more than happy to trade our Do Nothing and Enforce Only The Laws He Approves Of Sheriff here in Pima County for Sheriff Joe any day.

Remember the recent horrible tragedy down here when our lovely Sheriff decided it was an appropriate time to make a Political "finger pointing" Speech even before the blood had dried or any facts had been gathered, let alone verified?
At least your Sheriff didn't steal money from the citizens and behave like the criminals he arrests. Sorry but it's sad when people think a bad political speech is worse than stealing.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
It's amazing in AZ that the civil rights of criminals are still compensated for.

I was going to point out that all of his elections have been won by a slimmer margin each time, but at 79, it sounds like he'll wander his corrupt ass off in the sunset this time, and enjoy his embezzled funds.
Okay, here we go again. The people who died had not yet been convicted of anything. People are not supposed to die in jail due to the actions of others whose job is in large part to keep them safe in custody.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Quote:

Take him. Please.

Then, the unincorporated areas for which your sheriff's office is responsible can see their crime rates skyrocket. No worries, though. At least those crimes will be cleared by arrest at an astonishing 15% rate. Talk about old-fashioned, dogged police work!

Maybe you'll even get to pay out tens of millions in lawsuit settlements. If you're really, really lucky, your sheriff's office can be found to have misspent $100,000,000 in jail funds.

But at least the prisoners will wear pink. If you're a one-issue voter, that just might be enough.

Last edited by Robert A; 04-23-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area