Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree with Master Shake. I think it is everywhere and getting worse. I saw some very sad things in our new community revolving around some 10 to 12 year olds up at the clubhouse. The language made my ears burn along with other acts of rudeness I will not go into. I can't wait to see what the next generation brings as far as politeness goes. People on a whole are far more crude today and we keep lowering the bar.

Yep, and it all started with the 'hippie generation' and has gone downhill since.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 AM

28 posts, read 122,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree with Master Shake. I think it is everywhere and getting worse. I saw some very sad things in our new community revolving around some 10 to 12 year olds up at the clubhouse. The language made my ears burn along with other acts of rudeness I will not go into. I can't wait to see what the next generation brings as far as politeness goes. People on a whole are far more crude today and we keep lowering the bar.
thats so true and its not just anAZ or USA problem its global , i belive its a lot to do with trash tv that you can find around the world , there does not seem that we have " standards " anymore .

Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Absolutely a global problem and it will get worse as so called entertainment moguls and TV producers continue putting more trash on screen just to make more $$.

Look at all the uncreative, violent and inappropriate shows the younglings are exposed to nowadays, it definitely brings more responsibility to parents to filter out the undesirables!

Kind of like surfing the web these days with all the extensive amount of spam, adult site related pop-ups, spyware, adware, rootkit infectors and Trojans disguised as a Spyware scanners or free online service providers (god forbid you mistype the web address of a popular web site in the browser's address bar and click 'GO'), compared to say 10 or even 5 years ago! Look at all these negative things (including the media) the younger generation is getting exposed to!

Most things are going in the wrong and often worse direction and that is an ugly fact.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM

26 posts, read 104,403 times
I moved to Phoenix from Brooklyn, NY and I agree. I had such a RUDE awakening when I first got here. Unfortunately I am stuck here for family reasons. I have a love/hate relationship with Phoenix. There are some nice people but also a whole lot of rude people. It's remarkable because people think NEW YORKERS are rude and I am one of the nicest down-to-earth people you want to meet. I think Californians are very nice. But sadly, I have not had the best experience with Arizonian natives and I do know some for sure that are born and raised here. Also, Arizona news always makes fun of the east coast about the weather, etc. But they all try to copy New Yorkers. The D.J.'s, the clubs, etc. Restaurants saying NY style (I don't think so). So, I have to agree with Mr. San Diego.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Wow. I am from southern Cali... about to move to AZ. I guess as soon as I move to AZ, I will automatically turn into a rude person.
I don't think it's like that. From what I hear, Phoenix is more like a big magnet that attracts rude, pretentious and shallow people and criminals to it. I think these people are already this way before they move there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Maybe I should re-think my move....
Maybe, unless of course you are rude to begin with, and if you are, then Phoenix would suit you well. I'm not suited to it myself though, so I couldn't ever live there.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatheReid View Post
I don't think it's like that. From what I hear, Phoenix is more like a big magnet that attracts rude, pretentious and shallow people and criminals to it. I think these people are already this way before they move there.Maybe, unless of course you are rude to begin with, and if you are, then Phoenix would suit you well. I'm not suited to it myself though, so I couldn't ever live there.
Those are pretty strong statements, especially considering you seem to be basing your opinions on what you've heard, not actual experience. Exactly how much time have you spent in Phoenix?????

Either way, I think it's pretty obvious from your comments that you'd fit in quite nicely here

Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Exactly how much time have you spent in Phoenix?????
Long enough. Never again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Either way, I think it's pretty obvious from your comments that you'd fit in quite nicely here
Are you agreeing that people in Phoenix are rude, pretentious, and shallow?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 AM

47 posts, read 198,865 times
I've visited AZ many times and love the place, especially The Valley. I have to be honest, one of the things my wife and I always comment upon is the fact that people are so nice, polite and genuine. In my many visits I have had a problem with only one person. You guessed it, he was a rude, ignorant man from LA, and I had to tell him. That aside, I don't think all Californians are the same.

Taking a different side, try coming to Europe, especially England, where it is very crowded (you think you've got problems, try fitting 65 million people in an area the size of AZ!) If you are walking in the city centre (I appreciate that would be an alien concept to Arizonans ) you bump into people on such a regular basis, that you stop apologising. You get doors left to close in your face, so you stop holding them open for others.

Anyway. I'm sure you get the point: There are rude people everywhere, just don't become one and there will be hope for everyone.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatheReid View Post
Are you agreeing that people in Phoenix are rude, pretentious, and shallow?
I feel that your own statement led him and possibly many others to believe that you'd fit in well in Phoenix since it is full of rude, shallow people...

You really have some nerve to come to a forum where many people from all over the place come to connect and discuss things or state their valid, grounded and civilized opinions about topics relating to the cities they live in or know about.

It it quite possible that there are mean, rude, uneducated and unfriendly people living in Phoenix. They also have killers, bank robbers, car thieves, etc (shocking, ain't it?) much like all other cities in the States and around the world. Phoenix is not heaven, it probably ain't the safest or most gorgeous city around but it is far far far from the worst either. All in all, this is a fairly decent place to live with many decent people (do you think the so called criminals and rude ones are wasting their time here on an online forum when they could be visiting SeaWorld or steal visitors' car?).
The people on this forum are fairly decent people imho if they are social and civilized enough to make their way to this forum to chat, discuss and help others with their needs and questions. Heck, they even put up with frivilous negative accusations that are vague and often not factual....

It is easy to see the bad side of thing while the good often goes unnoticed, unmentioned.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
He-he, we're a poor state. Maybe people resent paying $60 to visit Sea World. Have your employer cut the entrance fee in half and Arizonans may appear nicer.;-))

On a more serious note, I've been to NYC only once for a few days and as you know the generalization is that New Yorkers are rude. I didn't find them rude... But then again, I'm originally from Europe. Fake smiles tend to annoy me more.;-))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: