Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM

49 posts, read 332,091 times

Advertisements

How can I find an aggressive realtor who has been in the business for SEVERAL years? I want someone willing to hardball negotiate as I plan on lowballing the heck out of my offers!

What is the best way to go about looking for the right person? It seems where I am located there are a bunch of old ladies that do this job. Nothing against old ladies, but I wan't somebody who isn't afraid to push the limits.

Has anyone had exceptional service from their realtor? What qualities should I look for? I am looking to purchase in the Chandler/Gilbert/Awahtukee area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwullen View Post
How can I find an aggressive realtor who has been in the business for SEVERAL years? I want someone willing to hardball negotiate as I plan on lowballing the heck out of my offers!

What is the best way to go about looking for the right person? It seems where I am located there are a bunch of old ladies that do this job. Nothing against old ladies, but I wan't somebody who isn't afraid to push the limits.

Has anyone had exceptional service from their realtor? What qualities should I look for? I am looking to purchase in the Chandler/Gilbert/Awahtukee area.
I am a Realtor in the East Valley. I am not interested personally, but I will point a couple of my peers this way. I negotiate very aggressively, but I do not want to walk into any relationship knowing we are "going to lowball the heck out of everything". In those cases, you have to find property you like and a seller who is very desperate. More often than not you look at dozens of homes and make dozens of offers that do not even get a reply. I have some peers that may be interested in that, but not I.

Last edited by SMG; 08-02-2007 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: added on

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwullen View Post

Who says old ladies can't push the limits? Some of the fiestiest real estate agents I know are some of those "old ladies". Of course, they may just put you in your place in the process.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 PM

92 posts, read 473,457 times
chec out craigslist. A bunch of agreesive realtors seem to be on there

Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
I would go with the old guys and gals, they usually have tons more "life" experience than the newbies. I think even really desperate sellers might scoff at insane "low ball" offers. I know I would rather rent even at a negative income than give it away. That is if they can make the difference in payments. I think the sub-prime disaster is starting to hit Vistancia so bargins are here if you are interested.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM

49 posts, read 332,091 times
Default maybe I am misunderstood

As the OP, I think maybe I am being misunderstood. I only meant to suggest that if I am looking at a home that is priced at $500,000 today, I want a realtor that knows what the selling prioce of that house was say three years ago, and that is more in line with the offer I would make. I am not suggesting I go in and offer $100,000 or something ridiculous. I just want a realtor who knows the area, knows his or her job, and isn't afraid to negotiate.

There must be people out there who just have several homes for sale that they intended to flip and now just want to get out of it without losing anything. Just to break even. That is what I am looking for. I just saw a guy on the news in Las Vegas who did just that, he bought 7 houses, and can't sell them and he was crying because he is about to go bankrupt.

How do I find a realtor with the qualities I am looking for? What questions do I ask? I don't feel comfortable with a 70 year old woman. I am all for experience, but these ladies are too sweet in my opinion. I think they aren't hungry enough for the sale. Obviously I am generalizing but you get where I'm going with this...

Old 08-02-2007, 04:11 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
There are some "old ladies" . . . AND "old men" who are retired and just doing the job part time. However, some of the folks in that 60-yr old age bracket have been doing real estate most of their lives and really KNOW the business, the areas, the prices AND how to negotiate.

There are also some very aggressive younger agents, too. It sounds like that's what you'd prefer. And, quite frankly, I think you'd rub some older agents the wrong way.

Just be aware that an aggressive demeanor doesn't necessary mean a great negotiator. Some of those "sweet little old ladies" learned a long time ago that you "catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

I've personally negotiated opposite some of the young aggressive blow-hards, and when they don't get their way, they just start yelling louder. That doesn't get their clients the best deal. Rather the other side of the bargaining table just shuts down with a "take it or leave it" attitude.

I think your mental image of the type of agent you want to represent you, and the reality of a knowledgeable agent who knows their stuff and can help you get a great deal, are two vastly different people.

It's not about age, and it's not about gender, and it's not about a certain overconfident egotistical demeanor. It's about experience and knowledge and knowing how to negotiate.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
With your example, 3 years ago that same house was probably $250,000. Are you serious that you would offer that low? I know it's only an example, but just curious. That sounds like a totally ridiculous offer to me.

This same discussion is always over in the RE forum and it frustrates me. Being a homeowner in AZ I'd like my property values to go UP not DOWN. I hate to hear someone moving here and trying to buy REALLY low as that only pushes my values down. I say pay the price or close to it and EARN your right to appreciation, don't expect it right away. Sit in the boat right along with us.

Every person trying to buy low will only bring our values down all over the place.

Last edited by sablebaby; 08-02-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 05:06 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
With your example, 3 years ago that same house was probably $250,000. Are you serious that you would offer that low? I know it's only an example, but just curious. That sounds like a totally ridiculous offer to me.

This same discussion is always over in the RE forum and it frustrates me. Being a homeowner in AZ I'd like my property values to go UP not DOWN. I hate to hear someone moving here and trying to buy REALLY low as that only pushes my values down. I say pay the price or close to it and EARN your right to appreciation, don't expect it right away. Sit in the boat right along with us.

Every person trying to buy low will only bring our values down all over the place!

I am a Realtor and I negotiate tooth and nail for my clients. My clients deserve that as my duty is to them and I am being compensated well for that. That said, I am also able to walk away from clients. I have had buyers that look and look for a home, finally find one that they want and just make a ridiculous offer. I present that offer and do my darndest to sell that offer. More often than not, you will not even receive a response as TONS of buyers are doing this and think they are unique in this. If you see a house that is 300k(for the sake of numbers) and you want to go and offer 250k, you had hopefully better have some good reasons to sell that. do you have data to support a low offer? Or, are you just hoping they are destitute. If that is the rouite you want to go, why not look at the bankruptcy sales or foreclosure sales? OR, head on out to Queen Creek...that may be the ticket right there.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
According to the news recently there are 24,000 homes in or near forclosure in the Valley right now. That may be a way to go for a good value.
Lowballing works well with someone who has been in their house for a long time and has a ton of equity in it and they need to sell and are happy to make a profit on it.
I purchased my house 2 years ago for $290,000. It appraised at $550,000 and the seller bought it years ago for $77,000. They were asking $400,000, I offered $249,000 and ended up paying cash for $290,000, a 30 day closing, and the sellers were extremely happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area