Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,235 times

Advertisements

There was a 3 car rear ending accident on east bound Pecos Rd at 40th street signal light in Ahwatukee on Sunday April 17, 2011 (Palm Sunday)around noon. Car in middle was a black Scion with pink wheels and grill. Need witness to the rear ending due to red light. Very important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
If you were rear ended it should not matter unless I misunderstood what you are saying or looking for.
I have been rear ended a few times and the bottom line is that if you are hit from the rear the guy that hit you is at fault.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Which car were you in?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM

We were the black scion in the middle. Unfortunately insurance companies now in mutliple car damages want to split up the costs so that now the middle car is getting charged for being hit into the car in front of them. It's called "double hit" and that way the end car that caused the damage doesn't have to pay for all the cars involved. If you stop short due to the person in front not sure of a changing light in a photo red light intersection and you don't hit them but the person behind you doesn't stop and plows into you, if you don't have witnesses, the insurance jumps on that. The people in the front car did not say they were double hit until they talked to the rear car's insurance company. That's why we need a witness since there were many people at that intersection but no one stopped to be a witness to it probably thinking it would be a typical rear ending.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 PM

28 posts, read 105,958 times
That sucks!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
I was recently rear ended. Even if you were the car in the middle, the idea is that you should have had sufficient distance between you and the car in front of you so you did not hit them. That said, if the other car was travelling at an excessive rate of speed, ie if they were travelling 80 in a 25 and the only reason you hit the car in front of you was the impact literally pushed your car further, you may be able to make an argument. If they were going posted speed for example and you didnt have sufficient distance to brake, then I suspect your insurance will be on the hook.

Are you the vehicle that stopped short? Sounds like you thought the car in front would go through the light but didnt, so in the last moment he stopped and you didnt leave sufficient braking distance if I read it correctly.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:26 PM

no, the first car stopped short and we stopped quickly but did not hit the car in front until rear ended by another car.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
how did the police report explain this accident?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM

The report was written up as I have stated. All people involved in the accident had been spoken with by the police at the scene.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
How much distance was between you and the guy in front of you? You said a few times he stopped short. What exactly does that mean? Was the guy behind you excessively speeding? The way traffic law works you are required to have sufficient distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. In my last accident, as soon as I felt the impact I laid on the brakes so I didnt hit the guy in front of me, so there was sufficient braking distance. I could hear my brakes as the impact pushed me forward, but they broke enough of the momentum that they did stop my vehicle in time.

That said, I was also rear ended about four years ago. By a freaking armored truck. I was at a stop, he was cruising along at 45 and wasnt paying attention. I could tell the minute he saw me because I heard his brakes grinding. In a car he may have been able to stop, but his vehicle just had too much weight. I had nowhere to go because the light was red, so just laid on the brakes and prayed. Because I knew at his speed he would have pushed me into oncoming traffic. My brakes gave enough resistance that by the time he hit me, oncoming traffic had seen him and cleared the intersection. He pushed me a good distance. Totalled my car that had less than 3k on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area