Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

106 posts, read 361,383 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Minnesota a couple months ago. I absolutely love it here. My son wants to send his old class some items...any ideas of some stuff to send? For instance at the White Tank Regional Park you can get a scorpion sucker.

In addition we have visited a couple great places...Oregano's in Scottsdale, Pappadeaux's. Any must see places and restsraunts for two adults and two boys 11 and 8 to go to?

I live in Surprise...but we don't mind driving occasionally.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
Visit Bill Johnson's Big Apple.

Bill Johnson’s Big Apple Restaurants – Phoenix, Mesa, Arizona BBQ

Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Just west of you the Vulture mine south of Wickenburg might be interesting. Take the camera and get some pictures of the old mining area. Wickenburg may also have postcards, items and a history of the mine for the kids. It has been a long time since I was last out there but it’s interesting to see.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
cactus candy, scorpion anythings, cactus jelly, cactus planters - just south of you in Goodyear is Southwest Specialty Foods - hot sauces and the like, a lot of schtick to it ... they have a gift shop open during the week and an additional saturday each month

Hot Sauce, Salsa, Snacks and Spices from Southwest Specialty Food, Inc.

I would recommend Flavors of Louisiana in Avondale off Dysart & I-10 near the LA Fitness ... very good eats (closed sunday/monday)

flavorsoflouisianacajun.com

Arizona Frybread in Avondale off Yuma east of Litchfield Rd is very good as well

Arizona Frybread

The drive up south mountain (south of downtown - just take central ave all the way up) is nice with great views - if you like some spice to your food Los Dos Molinos is nearby and has some good NM style food

Swinging over to Glendale a little there is the cerretas candy factory - the tour is "okay", but they sell a wide variety of their product which is good for the sweet tooth

Cerreta Candy Company:

Also in that part of old Glendale for restaurants there is La Piazza al Forno for great pizza, A Touch of European Cafe for polish/eastern european food (pierogi, kielbasa, etc), Haus Murphy for german food

If you like a little more gimick there are some theme restaurants like Margaritaville in glendale off the 101 by the stadiums (westgate area)

If your boys like baseball, keep your eye open for this fall when the Arizona Fall League gets going - tickets are $6 general admission and it's very entertaining. Basically major league teams designate some of their top prospects to a fall league team. The team is made up of players from multiple major league teams. You basically get to see guy who are a year away or about to be called up - it's like elite minor league ball.

The showcase is the young stars game - which is held at surprise stadium.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,723 times
Do a google search for gold prospecting in arizona...there is gold panning allowed in Prescot National Forest.. We had a panning trip planned several years ago but had to cancel at the last minute and I have since forgotten the details...I do remember we had planned to camp over a 4 day weekend. Good luck, have fun, but be safe!!! Oh yea and never forget fire safety!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area