Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

I lived near TC and worked there. If you like the bigger city feel yet want to have easy escape, it's a great city. There is always something to do. The new front on the bay is really nice. There is an abundance of lakes and wildlife in any direction. Winters are awesome if you like snow. Lot's of it. The people are very friendly and it is a very VERY safe city to live. I think there was 1 murder there like 10 years ago or something like that.
Your job may be hit or miss. There are more jobs in and around TC than probably any northern town. The local paper if called the record eagle. You can look through the classifieds on their site. As far as housing, I'd look on the outskirts of town. You can find a really nice home 5 mile out with much lower taxes. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2483 View Post
Hey Phoenix Gal,

I would stay in Arizona, I just moved back to Traverse City, MI from Texas. I liked Texas, but I think arizona has more beauty and diversity. Anyways, I will put it this way, I have been here a week and I am ready for the warm weather and sunshine! Alot can be said for warm sunny days! Everyone gets depressed in michigan due to a lack of sunshine and a bad economy. The only thing I would miss in michigan is the water, but nothing else!

Hope this helps and good luck!

I agree with some of what you say, but there are reasons why Michigan was hit first. The auto industry had things shaky at first but then the high gas prices really hit our state hard. Tourism has dropped off due to many of the people from surrounding states staying closer to home over the last couple of years.
I don't agree with the depression thing either. If you sit around and whine about cold and make no effort to enjoy all 4 seasons, hell yes your going to get depressed. Or try to compare Michigan to Arizona. My brothers are trying to get my to move to Scottsdale and truth be told if I could convince my wife I would move to TC long before Arizona. I visited some of the lakes when we were out there....... le's just say I'll take just about any Michigan lake over the ones I seen in Arizona. They all looked so dirty to me.
I'm still pushing to stay here, but the family really wants Arizona. I honestly don't think they will like it very long.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:10 AM

7 posts, read 21,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGal07 View Post
I am in a Dilemma. I am a single parent and my daughter is planning on moving to Traverse City, Michigan with my new Grandson to get married there and I don't know if I should pickup, leave Phoenix, AZ and relocate. They are the closest ones to me but I have finally settled down here with a good job, friends, etc. Anyone know anything about North Michigan, job situation, people, things to do, etc. Positive or negative comments appreciated. Thanks!
North Michigan sucks. I have never been there. But I can imagine that all that cold weather just sucking the soul out of your bones. Do you like the cold? That's the ultimate question..

Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
It really boils down to a question where a person prefers cold or hot--------------all other factors being equal.

I am no fan of 110F+ days here in the Phx area; that stated, dealing with snow and especially black ice in the winter--------------pass. The beastly summers here win hands down for me

Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryButters View Post
North Michigan sucks. I have never been there. But I can imagine that all that cold weather just sucking the soul out of your bones. Do you like the cold? That's the ultimate question..
Is this a joke?!?! You say it "sucks", then say you've "never been there". What the?!?! Please, crawl back under your rock before you make yourself look even more idiotic. Saying that an area of Michigan that is mostly unspoiled, full of picturesque beaches, incredibly deep woods, mountainous terrain, gorgeous (and huge) sand dunes, vast amounts of ultra-clean lakes, small islands, thundering waterfalls, etc, etc, "sucks" just reeks of ignorance. But "its cold", right? I cant believe the amount of pansies out there these days, its getting ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area