Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM

22 posts, read 41,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Even squashed, they are easy to tell apart by color. And, the brown recluse is much more rare around here.
OK, but I would think that they are often caught in corners, or hidding in dark parts of the house. Often times they run away too, but it's good to know the brown recluse is much more rare around here.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
The black widow I found met the bottom of my flip flop - was a little tricky because it was hanging in it's web by the garage door sensor

Anyhow, bug guy came out yesterday and we were very impressed at how in depth this guy was ..... really took his time, inspected everything and sprayed down a lot of areas as well as talked us through some of the balancing act of keeping a yard healthy and keeping bugs dead

Said he was surprised to find the number of things he did given that our house and yard were both clean and organized .... he didn't want to treat inside the home because we have small children and we haven't seen anything in the actual home itself (just the garage at this point)

He found roaches, crickets, ants, 2 mice (i actually saw one of them the other day), webbing & marks indicative of brown recluse by one of our plants and some baby widows as well as flies and wasps (he didn't see anything that would be the home to wasps in our yard ..... i actually saw them nesting in one of our light fixtures a couple weeks back and made a bunch unhappy when I sprayed them)

He has a follow up appointment in a couple weeks to see if it helped and we'll probably put him on a schedule ...... first 6 years in this house we didn't have any issue, but this spring has been something else

Really surprised about the mice with the number of feral cats we have roaming around (many of which like to curl up in our front landscaping at night) .... maybe they think the backyard is safe because our dog keeps the cats at bay .... who knows

Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
The black widow I found met the bottom of my flip flop - was a little tricky because it was hanging in it's web by the garage door sensor

Anyhow, bug guy came out yesterday and we were very impressed at how in depth this guy was ..... really took his time, inspected everything and sprayed down a lot of areas as well as talked us through some of the balancing act of keeping a yard healthy and keeping bugs dead

Said he was surprised to find the number of things he did given that our house and yard were both clean and organized .... he didn't want to treat inside the home because we have small children and we haven't seen anything in the actual home itself (just the garage at this point)

He found roaches, crickets, ants, 2 mice (i actually saw one of them the other day), webbing & marks indicative of brown recluse by one of our plants and some baby widows as well as flies and wasps (he didn't see anything that would be the home to wasps in our yard ..... i actually saw them nesting in one of our light fixtures a couple weeks back and made a bunch unhappy when I sprayed them)

He has a follow up appointment in a couple weeks to see if it helped and we'll probably put him on a schedule ...... first 6 years in this house we didn't have any issue, but this spring has been something else

Really surprised about the mice with the number of feral cats we have roaming around (many of which like to curl up in our front landscaping at night) .... maybe they think the backyard is safe because our dog keeps the cats at bay .... who knows
I have heard of simlilar issues to what you are talking about. Usually you don't see the spiders right away though. They are more sneaky than the roaches, mice, and even scorpions.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:11 PM

295 posts, read 552,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
What Are the Treatments for Spider Bites? | eHow.com
Here is for anyone who would like to know protocol for spider bites. I would bet a doctor would want you to have something with Diphenhydramine like Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction as well as itching. Some cold packs and some anti bacterial because of staph infection for kids especially because they scratch at it more. An epi pen for a bee attack if you have an allergy to bees.
I would always contact a doctor within 24 hours of a black widow bite, scorpion sting, or killer bee attack if more than a couple of stings had occurred and of course a brown recluse although not a lot happen in Phoenix if the victim is someone under 8 or over 70. Just as a precaution. You never know how they would react, they could have an allergy or sensitivity.

LMAO Granny.........you spider petter you! Sometimes it sounds like you live like Doctor Doolittle when it comes to critters.
Thank you for the information. My daughter encountered several said spiders over the past year in our new house. There was no way of knowing before we got into the house that they were there. A pest inspector found one colony but he said it's likely a "mother colony" is located somewhere in the neighborhood.

That be said, she came close to being bitten but has yet. I have been wanting to find information for how to deal with them when it happens.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
. .. I have been wanting to find information for how to deal with them when it happens.
I would think that such information is available from all kinds of reliable sources (not including internet forums ), and not hard to find.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
I have been wanting to find information for how to deal with them when it happens.
One word. Google.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. My daughter encountered several said spiders over the past year in our new house. There was no way of knowing before we got into the house that they were there. A pest inspector found one colony but he said it's likely a "mother colony" is located somewhere in the neighborhood.

That be said, she came close to being bitten but has yet. I have been wanting to find information for how to deal with them when it happens.
I understand what you are saying, but I have found some of the inspectors to be lacking in regards to the acumen. For example, it is sometimes thought they use "watered-down" poison in an effort to be "needed" again in not too long. I am sure there are some good ones out there, but really each person needs to do their homework on dealing with scorpions, spiders, or whatever it may be.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would think that such information is available from all kinds of reliable sources (not including internet forums ), and not hard to find.
Thank you for the response. I understand what you are saying, and I thought it would be helpful to hear specific responses from within the area to understand the nuances of brown recluse / black widow reactions for children. I have done some more research since then. It would be nice to hear from a local pediatrician or nurse.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the response. I understand what you are saying, and I thought it would be helpful to hear specific responses from within the area to understand the nuances of brown recluse / black widow reactions for children. I have done some more research since then. It would be nice to hear from a local pediatrician or nurse.
You have a point, some are specific to certain regions and the ones in Phoenix can have particular genotypes which are more known to those who are local. I would recommend going to the library to learn what you can from the sources there. Don't delay, because you need to know now, not figure out after it happens.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
You have a point, some are specific to certain regions and the ones in Phoenix can have particular genotypes which are more known to those who are local. I would recommend going to the library to learn what you can from the sources there. Don't delay, because you need to know now, not figure out after it happens.
If you would like to continue chatting with yourself, please feel free to do so in real life. This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area