Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 AM

113 posts, read 524,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
I still disagree though that trees grow in a desert environment, and the only trees in the Phoenix metro area are the imported trees that need watering. Shrubs and bushes may grow in the desert, but not trees. I have been to Africa, and I have not seen any oasis in the desert of that continent. Trees in Africa only grown in the wet areas.
This is dead wrong. Have you actually even been out in the desert? There are trees everywhere! There not the same trees you see in the east obviously, but different trees grow in different areas! Some areas are more barren than others yes, like with more shrubs and cacti. Someone who says this has obviously knows nothing about it and is assuming things. They also have no apprieciation for nature, or the outdoors. Im sorry, but that is pure ignorance. Makes me wonder about some of your other posts.

Its funny how you dont respond to some of my other posts calling you out on things. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Dont get me wrong here, its ok to HATE Phoenix as you do, and this forum is for thoughts on the area yes, but when they are extremely exaggerated or incorrect, they are wrong, and should be called out accordingly.

Last edited by Azrider; 09-27-2006 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM

57 posts, read 71,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Random like in Phoenix. How is "random" anywhere different in phoenix than it is anywhere else?
Hello McFly? Anybody home? Tap..tap..tap. Random in Phoenix because of so many crap pockets spread throughout the metro area, and also because is is the 3rd dangerous metro area in the US. Somehow I feel that I have already said that.
Quote:
Let me ask you this. How do you judge these so called bad neighboorhoods? Just by looking at them? How do you know soo much?
Observing them is definitely one thing of course. Gaining information on this very issue from the local police also confirmed this with me.
Quote:
You also say there is nothing to do here. I have never had a problem with this one. Just what were you looking for that isnt here?
What I like to do is not in Phoenix, so I wasn't looking for it. I just discovered that for myself soon after arriving. I have posted previously that I like to look at urban architecture, highrises, skyscrapers and buildings, people watch from a coffee shop, go to the bottom of the building that I live in and walk to restaurants, bars, shops, museums, aquarium, the park etc. When I do go for a drive, I like to see different things in different areas, and not the same cacti, dust, strip malls, cookie-cutter homes, apartment complexes, and chain restaurants. The architecture and history of the buildings, and even the southern house construction is beaut and very interesting.

Phoenix is NOT a walking *city* (massive suburb whatever), it doesn't have any cool architecture, and all of it post 1980. There is nowhere to live that suits my needs of walking and entertainment, and Scottsdale is prentious and fake, while Tempe is a frat-party! <ack> It is dusty, unfriendly, too quiet, too dangerous, and the boring strip malls and architecture actually nearly made me physically sick at times.
Quote:
This is dead wrong. Have you actually even been out in the desert? There are trees everywhere! There not the same trees you see in the east obviously, but different trees grow in different areas!
I'm sorry to confuse you, but this is the Phoenix forum, and not the Arizona forum. I was referring to the trees in the Phoenix metro area sunshine, so you in fact are dead wrong! Talking about ignorance, aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?
Quote:
Its funny how you dont respond to some of my other posts calling you out on things. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Well 'Mr. Bliss' I have not noticed anybody saying that I complain about other things apart from Phoenix, and if you think that I have been, then your eyes must be painted on. I have not seen you show me an example of this, so were you making it up? I thought so!
Quote:
Dont get me wrong here, its ok to HATE Phoenix as you do, and this forum is for thoughts on the area yes, but when they are extremely exaggerated or incorrect, they are wrong, and should be called out accordingly.
Wrong to whom? To your view? What has been wrong? I have not posted anything that is wrong in my view or statistics regarding Phoenix. Even the bloody trees of Phoenix (yes Phoenix since this is the Phoenix forum), as I was not talking about the trees of Arizona anyway, just Phoenix, and yes, the trees of Phoenix are imported, and I don't care about the shrubs and bushes in the desert.

Last edited by AussieGirl; 09-27-2006 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
They are imported from other areas of the desert, but do flurish here because they are desert trees.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci1 View Post
They are imported from other areas of the desert, but do flurish here because they are desert trees.
The only tall trees in Phoenix are eucalyptus and palm, and which part of the desert were they *imported* from exactly?

Old 09-27-2006, 12:39 PM

who said anything about tall, I didnt know you had to be tall to be a tree? And actually the California palm also known as the Desert Palm is the only native palm in North America and grows mostly in california and yuma az ingroves, which we have alot of here, yes imported from California and Yuma area, so yes it is native to the desert also.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM

113 posts, read 524,722 times
Quote:
Hello McFly? Anybody home? Tap..tap..tap. Random in Phoenix because of so many crap pockets spread throughout the metro area, and also because is is the 3rd dangerous metro area in the US. Somehow I feel that I have already said that. Observing them is definitely one thing of course. Gaining information on this very issue from the local police also confirmed this with me.
You still dont understand my question. How is the meaning of "random" in Phoenix different than anywhere else in the world? There is random crime and random bad neighboorhoods all over the country.

Just looking at something is not the way to judge it. You must see one run down house and assume the whole neighboorhood is bad, or, you hear one police report and assume the same from the way you sound.

Quote:
What I like to do is not in Phoenix, so I wasn't looking for it. I just discovered that for myself soon after arriving.
Hmm. This suggests just because you didnt like the fact that the urban scene is poor, you assumed there was nothing to do anywhere else in Phoenix. If I was in your shoes I would have made the best of it and had fun while I was trying to get out, instead of constant complaining. But of course you will tell me that thats not possible in Phoenix. Your looking for the extreme urban scene, and we just dont have it. Thats fine, personal preference.

Quote:
I was referring to the trees in the Phoenix metro area sunshine, so you in fact are dead wrong!
Well thats just fine honey, the way you talk in all your other posts it seems the whole state of AZ is on your hitlist!

Quote:
I have not noticed anybody saying that I complain about other things apart from Phoenix, and if you think that I have been, then your eyes must be painted on. I have not seen you show me an example of this, so were you making it up?
Well im not going to spend an hour searching all your posts and citing examples, I have much better things to do. If I run across one in reading I will most certainly let you know. I have not started calling them out until now. You complain about absolutely everything! Everything!!! I have never ever ever seen the likes of this, especially from anyone that lives in the Phoenix area. Never have I ran into such people that hate this place as much as you, everyone I have known and talked to in the past five years has no regrets. Just the way you do it and the way you sound makes it sound like someone who had a bad personal experience, or just has problems. Its fine to hate Phoenix, but geesh!

Quote:
Wrong to whom? To your view? What has been wrong? I have not posted anything that is wrong in my view or statistics regarding Phoenix.
Of course its wrong in my views. I like it here. But, for example, to just assume an area is bad by looking at it is wrong. To not speak from personal experience is wrong. An opinion is ok, but not an exaggerated one, false one, or one that uses information that was here-say, or not personally verified. (a factual opinion) Those kind of things I have to call you on.

In the end, alm1700 is right, your posts are rather entertaining.

Ok. I am now blue in the face, so Im done with this subject. Seriously. Done. Again, enjoy Atlanta.

Last edited by Azrider; 09-27-2006 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci1 View Post
who said anything about tall, I didnt know you had to be tall to be a tree?
Okay then, as I said, a shrub or a bush then.
Quote:
You still dont understand my question. How is the meaning of "random" in Phoenix different than anywhere else in the world? There is random crime and random bad neighboorhoods all over the country.

Just looking at something is not the way to judge it. You must see one run down house and assume the whole neighboorhood is bad, or, you hear one police report and assume the same from the way you sound.
Okay then, I will type slowly this time since you have not been able to follow me previously. Because there are so many bad pockets of 3-4 block neighbourhoods placed throughout the Phoenix metro area, then the crime is much more random. I have not been to any other city in the world that has such a layout. People from these dodgy pockets do not have to travel very far to enter the more expensive 3-4 block neighbourhoods to commit crime. The police had confirmed with me that this is the case throughout the Phoenix metro area as well.

There are larger high crime areas than these pockets as well, but these pockets exist throughout the rest of the Phoenix metro area, with the exception being Scottsdale maybe. Here in Atlanta, the high crime areas are confined to the south of the metro area. The city crime has been pushed down there as well. The rest of the Atlanta metro area does not have these 3-4 block pockets scattered throughout, nor does any other city I have been to, so therefore because people have to travel much further to get to the more expensive parts of the city then the crime in them is much lower.

This is one of the reasons that Phoenix is the 3rd most dangerous metro areas in the US, and if you don't understand what I have said this time, then I don't know how else to explain it to you.
Quote:
Hmm. This suggests just because you didnt like the fact that the urban scene is poor, you assumed there was nothing to do anywhere else in Phoenix. If I was in your shoes I would have made the best of it and had fun while I was trying to get out, instead of constant complaining. But of course you will tell me that thats not possible in Phoenix. Your looking for the extreme urban scene, and we just dont have it. Thats fine, personal preference.
Extreme urban scene? Phoenix doesn't have any bloody urban scene, yet it is called a *city!* I did spend my time getting out...of Phoenix that is, and I have! I had no intention of going to a bar at a strip mall, or in prententious Scottsdale, or in juvenile Tempe. I used my time well by planning my escape from Phoenix, and I wouldn't have spent my time there any other way if I had it back.
Quote:
Well thats just fine honey, the way you talk in all your other posts it seems the whole state of AZ is on your hitlist!
You read way too much into my posts. I have not complained about any other thing besides Phoenix when you incorrectly claimed that I had without an apology, and I have not said anything about Arizona either as you have incorrectly stated without an apology. Do you always make things up from words that were not written?
Quote:
Well im not going to spend an hour searching all your posts and citing examples, I have much better things to do. If I run across one in reading I will most certainly let you know.
I see, so you make accusations without examples to back it up, is that correct? I don't expect any coming from you either as I have NOT expressed my negative view about anything else apart from that hell-hole place that I escaped from last weekend. Easy cop-out to say that you have better things to do instead of simply apologising to me for being wrong and making things up and for reading words that were not in fact written.

You do need to get out more by the way because the majority of people that I had met hate Phoenix. When I left, the moving company that I used for my few things confirmed that more people leave than arrive, and statistics show that people that come from quality places do not stay, and it's the people from crap areas that do which continually lowers the quality of life there.

My views on Phoenix isn't complaining in fact anyway! My views on Phoenix are simply an honest opinion based on personal experience, statistics and conversing with others. My objective has been to warn others from making the mistake and moving to that that boring, ugly, unfriendly, crime and drug infested, polluted bloody dust-bowl!

You make things up about absolutely everything! Everything!!! I have never ever ever seen the likes of this.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM

Trees can be as short as 3 feet and still be a tree, I have seen non palms here that are 8-12 feet tall, thats not a bush. In fact I have two pale verdes in my yard that go over the roof of my home.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider
Its fine to hate Phoenix, but geesh!
Are you trying to suggest that I should tone down my honest views regarding Phoenix on this forum, or do I in fact have the freedom of speech regarding this? If you are suggesting the former, then that it is totally unreasonable of you. I will be honest, and this is the correct medium for such honesty, so if you don't like it, then don't read it.
Quote:
Of course its wrong in my views. I like it here. But, for example, to just assume an area is bad by looking at it is wrong. To not speak from personal experience is wrong. An opinion is ok, but not an exaggerated one, false one, or one that uses information that was here-say, or not personally verified. (a factual opinion) Those kind of things I have to call you on.
You have not given an example in any of my posts being "wrong." What have you "called me on?"

Phoenix is the 3rd most dangerous metro area in the US. Phoenix is the crystal-meth centre of the US, if not the world. Phoenix does lack urban culture. Phoenix is made up of strip malls, cookie-cutter homes, dust, chain restaurants, and apartment complexes. Phoenix is made up of post 1980-90 architecture

Phoenix is one of the most polluted *cities* per capita in the US. Phoenix is the most unfriendly place that I have been to or could imagine. Phoenix is not a walking *city* at all, and more car reliant than any that I have been to, or could imagine. The Phoenix metro area is 37,000 square km's of repetitive mindless sprawl.

What is "wrong" or "not factual" about that?
Quote:
In the end, alm1700 is right, your posts are rather entertaining.
Good, I take that as a compliment as he had meant it.
Quote:
Ok. I am now blue in the face, so Im done with this subject. Seriously. Done. Again, enjoy Atlanta.
Atlanta is a bloody site better than Phoenix, so I am bound to thanks! I find it disappointing however that you claim that you're done with this without showing your examples that you won't find and without apologising for making things up.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:17 PM

153 posts, read 563,155 times
Quote:
Good, I take that as a compliment as he had meant it...
a1m1700 is actually a "she." It's interesting how we make gender assumptions on message boards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area