Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Tucson as a graphic designer and looking for a place in Phoenix. I mean really cheap I don't care if it's high crime, terrible conditions, smelly/noisy area I can suffer for a few months until I can hopefully find a job there. I don't drive and I plan on going to work and staying at the apartment and no parties/get togethers as I don't know anyone living there. My requirements are-
Studio or 1 bedroom*
No room mates/only myself*
CHEAP*
Near an oriental/asian grocery market*
Internet hookup available* (in plan or pay for it through someone else)

I'm open to suggestions though. I have 2,000 saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign G-Vill View Post
I'm currently living in Tucson as a graphic designer and looking for a place in Phoenix. I mean really cheap I don't care if it's high crime, terrible conditions, smelly/noisy area I can suffer for a few months until I can hopefully find a job there. I don't drive and I plan on going to work and staying at the apartment and no parties/get togethers as I don't know anyone living there. My requirements are-
Studio or 1 bedroom*
No room mates/only myself*
CHEAP*
Near an oriental/asian grocery market*
Internet hookup available* (in plan or pay for it through someone else)

I'm open to suggestions though. I have 2,000 saved.

Good Asian Markets at 1700 W. Camelback, 85015 and cheap rents...small asian community, larger AA community. Light Rail nearby. It's doable.
Specifically, I think it is mostly Vietnamese, but there are some thais in there, too.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Ensign, I would think you would find something much more easily if you rent a room i'n someone's house rather than an apt on your own. That also may allow you to get a month to month arrangement instead of a longer term lease. AND give you a shot at better accommodations.

The east valley is the fastest growing Asian population in the country. Large Asian grocery stores at Warner and Dobson rd i'n Chandler (lee lee) and another at Dobson and broadway in Mesa. Small Asian grocers are all over the place in Tempe and Mesa.

There's also a Lee Lee market on the west side - you can gooogle the address (and there's one in Tucson, too.).

Along the light rail line in Mesa (mostly near the final stop and on Apache blvd) you can find old motels that have been turned into cheap rentals - efficiencies with kitchenettes. I can't say I'd recommend inviting your next door neighbor over to watch the baseball game, but it's convenient and safer than some neighborhoods (like maryvale.) There are also some cheap apts in west Mesa, as well as trailer parks.

Good luck - I seriously hope you consider renting a room from someone. You'll be better off.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
i highly disagree that dumpy apartments as a single guy isn't worth living in. My friend pays $400 a month with utilities in a 400 sq ft studio. The kitchen isn't bad either. The location is walking distance from the light rail.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Fair enough, Shiphead. Admittedly, my thoughts are based on being a female, so issues of safety would be paramount to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area